Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Aphex81

Scholar
And last but not least the main motivation of the main character is money and fame, really shows you the subhuman slavic morality. There is no cause, no heroism just greed and we are supposed to be shedding a tear when the plot to get filthy rich goes wrong...oh no not the poor criminal slav
You could just say you don't know anything about the setting and subgenre instead of posting the equivalent of slamming your face into your desk like a mongoloid.
I have never seen a more retarded fanbase than the cyberpunk people. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME STORY AND SAME MOTIVATION AND SAME ENDING IN EVERY CYBERPUNK STORY.
Well if the setting doesn't give you the creative freedom to tell the story you want to it's just a shit setting then isn't it? And why would anyone want to play in such a setting?
I DON'T LIKE THE GAME STORY THEY WROTE SO IMMA CRY ABOUT IT ON THE INTERWEBZ
You must be new here.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And last but not least the main motivation of the main character is money and fame, really shows you the subhuman slavic morality. There is no cause, no heroism just greed and we are supposed to be shedding a tear when the plot to get filthy rich goes wrong...oh no not the poor criminal slav
You could just say you don't know anything about the setting and subgenre instead of posting the equivalent of slamming your face into your desk like a mongoloid.
I have never seen a more retarded fanbase than the cyberpunk people. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME STORY AND SAME MOTIVATION AND SAME ENDING IN EVERY CYBERPUNK STORY.
Well if the setting doesn't give you the creative freedom to tell the story you want to it's just a shit setting then isn't it? And why would anyone want to play in such a setting?
I DON'T LIKE THE GAME STORY THEY WROTE SO IMMA CRY ABOUT IT ON THE INTERWEBZ
You must be new here.
All storyfags must hang.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is thought put into V's character in the beginning. Considering the streetkid origin is the "canon" origin, you can clearly see the writers are setting V up as a youngblood starry-eyed douchebag who is consciously trying to act as someone who is actually tough.

Viktor makes ironic remarks like "once you hit the big leagues, don't forget about us". Dexter slides the news that you're robbing Arasaka, finishing with "surely that's no problem" and if you give the tough guy response, he replies "Shiet, you don't mess around", and you can tell he just read you for a first class "mark". Later Evelyn offers to cut Dexter off the deal, and if you refuse her, telling Dexter trusts you, she ends the subject with "I hope you are as good as you are naive". V is basically the classic fall guy, at least until you finish the Voodo boys quest.

ind33d

Learned
I always said this is more of an on rails movie than a game. The one quest that got me curious is the Peralez quest with the secret room. Now that would have been a good main plot, a noir detective mystery with lots of twists and turns. Shit like this should have been the main focus of the game. You being a merc doing interesting merc contracts. Instead the merc thing is a complete afterthought. The gigs are more fun than the yellow quests wich are just a bunch of random encounters where the writers jerk themselfes off.

Ultimately the game is a hollywood resume, a vignette of short stories for their disney application. A bunch of whiney melodrama instead of the mercenary sandbox with a corporate conspiracy plot at the center. Even the waifus are shit, tatooed latrino for lesbians and a mutt boss girl for males *shudder*

Peralez was probably going to be a corpo questline. As Street Kid V even I thought it made no sense I was there

mediocrepoet

Patron
There is thought put into V's character in the beginning. Considering the streetkid origin is the "canon" origin, you can clearly see the writers are setting V up as a youngblood starry-eyed douchebag who is consciously trying to act as someone who is actually tough.

Viktor makes ironic remarks like "once you hit the big leagues, don't forget about us". Dexter slides the news that you're robbing Arasaka, finishing with "surely that's no problem" and if you give the tough guy response, he replies "Shiet, you don't mess around", and you can tell he just read you for a first class "mark". Later Evelyn offers to cut Dexter off the deal, and if you refuse her, telling Dexter trusts you, she ends the subject with "I hope you are as good as you are naive".
I think the writing in CP77 is actually fairly strong on its linear narrative. Like the original ending is bleak af. I loved it.

I just tend to see it as basically a culmination of the Witcher stuff. Sure you could choose different paths in the Witcher, but you were pretty on rails on those pre-defined routes unless fucking off to do side stuff, and your protagonist was predefined, etc. It's about as on rails as it gets.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The disappointment with Cyberpunk's story for me is that unlike in Witcher 3 where you had story C&C affecting secondary characters, political outcomes, etc., for Cyberpunk they lacked either the design or the time to implement anything but the critical path. And since you still are asked to press dialogue options, unlike a game like GTA or RDR2, and yet there is no C&C (I don't count the endings), it feels like the C&C was planned but amputated.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The disappointment with Cyberpunk's story for me is that unlike in Witcher 3 where you had story C&C affecting secondary characters, political outcomes, etc., for Cyberpunk they lacked either the design or the time to implement anything but the critical path. And since you still are asked to press dialogue options, unlike a game like GTA or RDR2, and yet there is no C&C (I don't count the endings), it feels like the C&C was planned but amputated.
A fair criticism, they cut off a lot of stuff. I still found it effective in terms of a single playthrough. Basically, does a single playthrough draw you in enough to just go with it and have a good time, whether you can make "meaningful choices" or not, since that stuff is always smoke and mirrors outside of sandbox games.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I just tend to see it as basically a culmination of the Witcher stuff. Sure you could choose different paths in the Witcher, but you were pretty on rails on those pre-defined routes unless fucking off to do side stuff, and your protagonist was predefined, etc. It's about as on rails as it gets.
Witcher 3 maintains the illusion of choice much better, for one thing. For another, by the time you get to the endings and start a second playthrough, the characters have grown on you (at least Geralt has) so much that even the illusory choice carries some weight, when you ask yourself "But what would the Geralt I know really have done here, what choice would suit him better?". And in Cyberpunk you can never grow attached to V in a similar way, or at least V is severly handicapped by the basic fact that you don't see the fucker's face and emotions. I end up identifying more with Geralt as a protagonist than I do with V. I know it's subjective but I'm pretty sure it applies to the majority of players.

Aphex81

Scholar

Viktor makes ironic remarks like "once you hit the big leagues, don't forget about us". Dexter slides the news that you're robbing Arasaka, finishing with "surely that's no problem" and if you give the tough guy response, he replies "Shiet, you don't mess around", and you can tell he just read you for a first class "mark". Later Evelyn offers to cut Dexter off the deal, and if you refuse her, telling Dexter trusts you, she ends the subject with "I hope you are as good as you are naive".
After the heist goes wrong and he is dying there is a shift in his motivation. It is no longer about money and fame but survuval and some kind of redemtion arc except in the end the blaze of glory shit comes again out of nowhere and condradicts the entire arc. I thought the endings would redeem V and were about either his revenge for Jackie, settling down with Panam or leaving with Judy but no, he goes full retard with the money and fame again.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Witcher 3 maintains the illusion of choice much better, for one thing. For another, by the time you get to the endings and start a second playthrough, the characters have grown on you (at least Geralt has) so much that even the illusory choice carries some weight, when you ask yourself "But what would the Geralt I know really have done here, what choice would suit him better?". And in Cyberpunk you can never grow attached to V in a similar way, or at least V is severly handicapped by the basic fact that you don't see the fucker's face and emotions. I end up identifying more with Geralt as a protagonist than I do with V. I know it's subjective but I'm pretty sure it applies to the majority of players.
That's interesting. I actually find it the opposite. I don't like the Witcher games because of the predefined protagonist, so I don't worry about "what would he do?" and always feel a fairly fundamental disconnect from the character in that manner.
Whereas with V, it was more about the voice acting and reactions of characters around them, plus the fact that you can customize their appearance, basically closer to something like Mass Effect's predefined "Shepard" than Geralt. It works better for me.

I've never been a fan of premade protagonists even if you can mess with their stat block. It was a huge issue with PST for me, for instance.

mediocrepoet

Patron
After the heist goes wrong and he is dying there is a shift in his motivation. It is no longer about money and fame but survuval and some kind of redemtion arc except in the end the blaze of glory shit comes again out of nowhere and condradicts the entire arc. I thought the endings would redeem V and were about his revenge for Jackie, like settling down with Panam or leaving with Judy but no, he goes full retard with the money and fame again.
Depends on the ending you choose and you're basically ignoring the entire influence of Johnny and what's going on with V's brain.

Jason Liang

Arcane

After the heist goes wrong and he is dying there is a shift in his motivation. It is no longer about money and fame but survuval and some kind of redemtion arc except in the end the blaze of glory shit comes again out of nowhere and condradicts the entire arc. I thought the endings would redeem V and were about either his revenge for Jackie, settling down with Panam or leaving with Judy but no, he goes full retard with the money and fame again.
This is because V loses their soul in the Sun ending.

Aphex81

Scholar
Depends on the ending you choose and you're basically ignoring the entire influence of Johnny and what's going on with V's brain.
Because that shit is literally shoved in 5 years into development and can be resolved in one scene at the end with some techno babble. It has almost no influence on Vs overall arc. Fuck CDPR and their cringe hollywood worship.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Cyberpunk is ok C&C. A lot of your choices on side gigs actually make small, permanent changes to the game world.

And obviously the most important C&C is choosing to destroy Mikoshi and cripple Arasaka, no matter the cost. What happens to V and Johnny is secondary to that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I've never been a fan of premade protagonists even if you can mess with their stat block. It was a huge issue with PST for me, for instance.
I like the classic - Garrett, JC Denton, Sam Fisher, Geralt... they are all some renditions of Batman, who is a rendition of some other archetype.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I like the classic - Garrett, JC Denton, Sam Fisher, Geralt... they are all some renditions of Batman, who is a rendition of some other archetype.
Yeah I could see that. I should clarify that I'm only talking about rpgs. Basically as soon as you preset the protagonist, it's not really a "true" RPG in my mind, whatever its other merits.

Sometimes this can make a difference when discussing the strengths and weaknesses of a game due to differing expectations.

Elthosian

Arcane

Can't believe you're talking of creative freedom after whining about "no cause, no heroism."

I mean sure as hell they should tell a wider array of stories despite the setting but that take sounds just as generic and laughable.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yeah I could see that. I should clarify that I'm only talking about rpgs. Basically as soon as you preset the protagonist, it's not really a "true" RPG in my mind, whatever its other merits.
Yeah because CDPR games are JRPGs.
I don't even think they rise to that level, but sure, they're on the same sort of continuum as JRPGs imo.

MasPingon

Arcane
The main problem of that is none of the main story missions were built around actually driving and combat at the same time, so you have to kinda force the thing to happen, if gangs shoot each other thats fine but it's not really something you have to engage, it just feels like it doesn't warrant their own perk points and they removed some perks that were probably much better than something this situational.

They should have redesigned some of the missions so they actually involve this new mechanics but they are lazy to do it.
No one in their right mind expected them to redo the main missions. Meanwhile you only have like 50+ gang combat PoIs which you can attack with drive-bys. To each their own, if you don't want to play like this, but the option is there.
Yeah, because changing those awful scripted car chase sequences would be god tier of coding.

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned
My issue with CP2077 storyline is the horrible usage the main character must have something special or the circlejerk mcguffin, instead of being another fucker in the world that rise up through actions that respect that world rules. The setting already has an interesting structure you don't need to add retarded necromancer chips with Keanu Reeves inside.

ind33d

Learned
My issue with CP2077 storyline is the horrible usage the main character must have something special or the circlejerk mcguffin, instead of being another fucker in the world that rise up through actions that respect that world rules. The setting already has an interesting structure you don't need to add retarded necromancer chips with Keanu Reeves inside.
The real question is how much was cut, because CDPR said at one point you could choose between putting the chip in Jackie or in yourself, which implies we have maybe 25% of the intended game

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
new crafting along with lvl scaling means that its better not to craft at all, but rather lvl up so that enemeis drop highest tier weapons at you. Same for iconics. Also iconic appear not to have mod slots, while normal variants do?
They still have some mod slots like scopes, but tbh the mods available are pretty weak. The Iconics are often much stronger than any modded version of a weapon can be.

Takamori

Learned
The real question is how much was cut, because CDPR said at one point you could choose between putting the chip in Jackie or in yourself, which implies we have maybe 25% of the intended game
Probably a whole lot given the original was meant to be an actual ambitious RPG where you could choose class, your childhood inspiration (Adam Smasher, Morgan Blackhand and Johnny Silverhand) and branching narrative storyline.
But as much I love to shit on the decision of adding Keanu in mid developing cycle, the only thing it could have influenced was the linear storyline. Now systems, itemization and so on? Thats on CDK devs being fucking incompetent cunts and not even taking notes on the original system where the game is based of and wanting to add a retarded Open World in a game where the whole strong perks is around planning, buying the right gear for the job and building contacts.

And I end my rant with GTA niggers deserve the rope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom