Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Is this still a dead game?
Dead on my computer. Ever since 1.6 dropped it's been freezing for me, either on the CDPR intro video, or ingame if I navigate menus, or if I avoid menus entirely after about 20 minutes of gameplay. Did a clean driver reinstall with DDU, uninstalled the game and deleted all AppData related to it (and everything left over in its Steam folder), reinstalled the game, no mods, still freezing. I gave up and waited a few months and came back hoping they would have released some patches to try to fix it and... nope. Just the one hotfix that did fuckall and apparently the game's fine to be left like this, unplayable.

Somewhat irritating, partly because I doubt they'll be including any sort of fix for Phantom Liberty's release so it'll probably still be broken by then, and also because I really wanted to wrap up the achievement for filling the weapon room while I'm on a character with crafting, so I don't have to bother with Tech when PL drops.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
it'll probably still be broken by then
You mean your PC, right?

:troll:

(Seriously, I'd be happy to try to help isolate this for you, if you want to provide system specs, etc.)

Edit: For starters, have you already tried setting 'Cascaded Shadows Resolution' in Settings to High instead of Medium?

Last edited:
it'll probably still be broken by then
You mean your PC, right?

:troll:

(Seriously, I'd be happy to try to help isolate this for you, if you want to provide system specs, etc.)

Edit: For starters, have you already tried setting 'Cascaded Shadows Resolution' in Settings to High instead of Medium?
I had it on that setting already. I've also tried running the game with everything set to the bare minimum, and a few other random specific settings that I saw people online suggesting.

CPU - Threadripper 1950X
GPU - 3080Ti
RAM - 32GB
Motherboard - X399 Taichi

No overclocking, and XMP is disabled.

It doesn't feel like an issue of the hardware being insufficient (of course, path tracing, which I have off, would be too much for this GPU to handle very well, though I tried turning it on to see if it helped, which it didn't), particularly given that it's freezing mostly in the ingame menus, on character creation, sometimes just playing a video, and actually stays the most stable if I manage to get ingame and avoid the menus, i.e. if the system is rendering more rather than less.

Haven't had any issues with any other games, and never had freezes or crashes with CP2077 on this system until (edit: not 1.6 base patch but the one that added path tracing). I am thinking I'll try older drivers next, since that's another thing I've seen some people have luck with.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Clearly your system is more than capable of handling the game (it's no potato).

Do you have your GPU set for Re-sizable BAR mode?

No. My motherboard's current bios firmware doesn't appear to support it, or at least I couldn't find it (or "CAM" which is what ASRock calls it), if you're suggesting I try turning it on.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

No. My motherboard's current bios firmware doesn't appear to support it, or at least I couldn't find it (or "CAM" which is what ASRock calls it), if you're suggesting I try turning it on.
My motherboard BIOS hid the rebar stuff under 'Above 4G Decoding', which I had to enable first before rebar options showed up.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ugh. Now that I've played around with crafting and upgrading, Tech ability seems nearly as awful as Reflexes (besides breaking the ingame economy wide open). This character system is Sawyer-istic :/

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ugh. Now that I've played around with crafting and upgrading, Tech ability seems nearly as awful as Reflexes (besides breaking the ingame economy wide open). This character system is Sawyer-istic :/

Eh I put points into both first for a Nomad techie gunslinger with a wall piercing custom mag pistol of doom I crafted myself, and the final few into Cool. Sandevistan bullet time headshots through popamole cover was entertaining enough.

Looking at the system as a whole though it's another one guilty of mindlessly copying WoW (old) talent trees into a classless singleplayer game. WoW didn't need to give that many unique active (or rather non-passive bonus) spells/abilities per tree because you already picked a class at the start, likewise this is not a MMO so doing +5% for 5 levels-ups in a row to give the player a carrot to chase and avoid balance issues makes no fucking sense. I'm not sure if this is the fault of CDP designers just being hacks or if the multiplayer they planned made them go this way on purpose.

Tech could easily be made less shit if it opened up uniquer recipes like Arcanum did or if it allowed you to use cool gadgets (remember that stealth bot from the main quest? hell, why not even simple drones or fucking mines/traps).

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
It doesn't feel like an issue of the hardware being insufficient (of course, path tracing, which I have off, would be too much for this GPU to handle very well, though I tried turning it on to see if it helped, which it didn't), particularly given that it's freezing mostly in the ingame menus, on character creation, sometimes just playing a video, and actually stays the most stable if I manage to get ingame and avoid the menus, i.e. if the system is rendering more rather than less.
Might be a long shot, but have you toyed around with Borderless vs. Full Screen and your Steam overlay stuff? I'm thinking since you're saying it freezes on menus and videos.

Might be a long shot, but have you toyed around with Borderless vs. Full Screen and your Steam overlay stuff? I'm thinking since you're saying it freezes on menus and videos.
I've run it in fullscreen and I've run it direct from the folder without Steam at all. Doesn't change it.

Gerrard

Arcane
YuqolOM.png

:hype:

Buy, goyim, buy!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone going to preorder CP2077 PHANTOM LIBERTY?

Fucking can't link GOG? Well fuck... stupid phone.

Is a car worth it? Like I need to ask if anything CP2077 is worth it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
if you're suggesting I try turning it on.
Not necessarily but it is one example of tech that a somewhat-demanding game like CP2077 should be able to take advantage of. Since what you're describing seems related to the Med vs. High settings issue, I thought I'd mention it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
what am i doing are you running in RT mode? Do you have DLSS enabled?

If the former, try testing with it off but with DLSS on. Also consider downloading the latest DLSS.dll version, which you copy into the main CP2077 game folder. You can usually find that listed on Nvidia forums, or TechPowerUp, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...liberty-new-major-expansion-of-cyberpunk-2077

CD Projekt Aims to Redeem Cyberpunk 2077 With Major Expansion​

On Sept. 26, the Polish game publisher will release Phantom Liberty, a newly overhauled version starring Idris Elba

Prior to its debut, Cyberpunk 2077, which stars Keanu Reeves and is set in a massive, dystopian sci-fi city, was one of the most-hyped video games on the planet. But when it was released in 2020, the game suffered from myriad glitches and other problems.

Now, its publisher, CD Projekt SA, is looking for redemption. On Sunday, the Polish company said it plans to release a new expansion, Phantom Liberty, on Sept. 26. It will feature a new story, starring Idris Elba, while overhauling various parts of the game, such as its class abilities and its much-derided police system.

“There’s an absolute dedication to what’s needed to be done to make it right,” said Gabe Amatangelo, the expansion’s director.

relates to CD Projekt Aims to Redeem Cyberpunk 2077 With Major Expansion

Phantom Liberty features an ambitious storyline that involves rescuing and protecting the president of the game’s fictional “New United States of America.” Based on a recent hour of playing time, the new extension appears to challenge players with lots of interesting decisions, such as whether to trust a pair of drifters who show up at the safe house in which the president is hiding.

Following the blueprint of the company’s previous hit game, The Witcher 3, CD Projekt had originally planned to release at least two expansions for Cyberpunk 2077. But after its poor reception, the company scrapped the original strategy, pivoted to free content updates and eventually decided to focus on Phantom Liberty.

In May 2021, top director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz left the studio following an internal investigation into accusations of bullying, which he denied. Shortly afterward, his brother Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, who was leading Phantom Liberty, stepped down too and was replaced by Amatangelo, an industry veteran who had joined CD Projekt the previous year.

Amatangelo went on to lead the development of Cyberpunk 2077’s well received patch 1.5, which was released in February 2022. He and his team are now finishing the new expansion. CD Projekt’s board of directors, he said, has given them carte blanche to “make it right,” including all the time and resources he requested.

Whereas the expansions of The Witcher 3 were released within a year of the game’s arrival, Cyberpunk 2077’s Phantom Liberty has been in development for more than two years. “The commitment to it from a board level is something else, really,” Amatangelo said. “I was struck by the humility and willingness to change.”

By contrast, people who worked on the initial release of Cyberpunk 2077 said that they had expected to keep improving the game for at least two more years of development. Instead, the rushed release has become a cautionary tale for the industry and a reference point when other companies delay games.

Despite its problems, Cyberpunk 2077 has been commercially successful, selling more than 20 million copies. But it was also marred by so many glitches that Sony Group Corp. ended up pulling it from the PlayStation digital store for more than six months.

relates to CD Projekt Aims to Redeem Cyberpunk 2077 With Major Expansion

In addition to winning back displeased fans, Amatangelo has been working to resolve some of the company’s cultural issues. CD Projekt recently opened an office in Boston to improve its recruitment of veteran game developers who do not want to move to Warsaw. Amatangelo, who is American, said he splits his time between the US and Poland.

During the release of Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt was widely criticized for breaking a promise and forcing employees to work extensive overtime — an industry problem known as “crunch.” After the game came out and CD Projekt faced significant attrition, the company again vowed that it would not ask employees to crunch.

On Phantom Liberty, Amatangelo said, they have lived up to that promise, implementing various policies to prevent people from burning out, including a system that alerts management if someone is working for prolonged periods of time. He said if an employee asks to do a few extra hours, he’ll permit it, but only to a certain degree.

“Fortunately, it’s a very healthy work-life balance right now,” Amatangelo said.

In brief conversations, lower-level staff members backed up that assertion, while also cautioning that work-life balance at the company remains an ongoing, complicated issue — as it is throughout the entire video-game industry.

Amatangelo said that after Phantom Liberty he will direct a full-blown sequel to Cyberpunk 2077. This time around, rather than using proprietary technology, CD Projekt will use Epic Games’ Unreal Engine — a decision that will also likely help the company’s recruiting efforts.

Gargaune

Magister
I see a lot of fluff about the expansion, but no date on patch 1.7. Is it meant to launch simultaneously with Phantom Liberty, or are we expecting it before?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I see a lot of fluff about the expansion, but no date on patch 1.7. Is it meant to launch simultaneously with Phantom Liberty, or are we expecting it before?
Hopefully before, but I believe that if this patch tanks performance they will release it simultaneously with PL. You don't want people canceling their pre-orders because they are now unable to play the game they've had for the past 2.5 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom