Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"CD Projekt Will Never Use DRM, Says CEO"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
: x
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/08/cd-projekt-will-never-use-drm-says-ceo/

By John Walker on March 8th, 2012 at 7:44 pm.
witcherr.jpg

CD Projekt will never use DRM again, said joint CEO Marcin Iwinski at a talk at GDC. Speaking to a rather thinned crowd, presumably dented by the post awards celebrations of the night before, Iwinski was explaining CDP’s philosophy for success with a PC exclusive game. And one element of that was to completely abandon DRM, since “It doesn’t work at all.” The talk also revealed how The Witcher 2 had sold over a million units, mostly in retail, but only 75,000 of them in the UK.

Beginning with quite the bias, Iwinkski explains that he doesn’t know how to help sell a shitty game. The Witcher 2′s impressive sales suggest he’s in the right place. It’s interesting to see the spread of the game’s sales. The biggest market was the US, where it shifted 269,700 units, followed by Russia at 234,215, Poland with 185,123 and Germany, Switzerland and Austria picking up 130,053. In the UK it only sold 74,225. But why did a hardcore RPG from a small developer pick up such big numbers?

The mistakes so many developers make, he argues, is that they fail to say who their game is for. And a big part of that is making sure gamers find out it exists in the first place. To do this, X strongly argues that developers need to be actively communicating with gamers, appointing one person on your team to be responsible for PR and marketing. Even if it’s just Twitter and Facebook, someone needs to be focused on it,

Another important thing to do is developer diaries. For the hits these get, it’s incredibly good value for money. Then of course there’s screenshots – something we can attest developers and publishers get wrong all the time. CDP took half a day to generate ten of them, slowing the game down, meticulously ensuring it’s well balanced, features crucial game content, and is eye-catching. Good grief, we wish more people followed those rules. Then there’s cover art, doing interviews, attending trade shows (by guerilla tactics if necessary, he explained, pointing out you don’t need an expensive booth to meet with press).

Also revealed were the nature of how the game sold. Remarkably, only 24% of copies of The Witcher 2 were digitally distributed. Retails was still a huge factor, but possibly because of the game’s huge success in Eastern Europe and Germany, where retail remains a dominant force. Because in North America things were quite different, where 70% of those 270,000 sales were digital.

DRM he explained at the end, just does not work. Iwinski explained it makes no difference to piracy, is instantly cracked no matter what, and only hinders people’s enjoyment of the game. And he pledged that the company will never use it again. Another error acknowleged was retailer-specific DLC, which the CEO strongly argued others should stop doing as well, because as much as it pleases retailers, it upsets the players – a problem they eventually dealt with by giving away all the different DLC two weeks after release, for free. Which of course wasn’t entirely popular with the retailers.

There was no word on a Witcher 3, with the company currently focusing their efforts on the 360 release next month. Maybe after that they’ll stick to their own advice and start making people aware as early as possible

MapMan

Arcane
A shit without DRM is still shit. :rpgcodex:

Just joking, I loved the game (for what it was).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The fuck? I'm pretty damn sure The Witcher 2 came out with Securom...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another game that did well with an online developer diary was DX:HR, where the art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête basically became the face of the game's PR campaign.

Read the article

likaq

Arcane
A shit without DRM is still shit. :rpgcodex:

True, Witcher 1 is one of the most overrated "crpg" in the codex. Mediocre at best as crpg.
I'm not even going to mention how badly they raped witcher books.
Never played Witcher 2, maybe it is better.

Phelot

Arcane
Nah, they just try to sue potential pirates for thousands of dollars. CDP should shut the fuck up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another game that did well with an online developer diary was DX:HR, where the art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête basically became the face of the game's PR campaign.

Read the article

I did, and I'll believe it when I see it. They were just as against DRM before TW2 came out too, think we had an article about it here.

Also, what Phelot said.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
And I'm not buying any of their games until Iwiński volunteers to pay his special fines for all the games that he "stole" as S.S. Captain.

Kjujik

Educated
At least they got it right about DRM not working and only pissing off paying customers. The potato version (and any other games they publish) came without DRM. As far as I know, the DRM in foreign editions was forced on them by other publishers and they had no choice. The patch removing it was also one of the reasons for NamcoBandai’s lawsuit.

As for the German lawyers - I hope next time CDP will hire some real lawyers, instead of those clowns, who can’t get their shit done properly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The DRM in the English version was removed with the first patch, which was either day 1 or very close to release as far as I remember.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Nah, they just try to sue potential pirates for thousands of dollars. CDP should shut the fuck up.

Never forgive, never forget, huh?
Goodwill is hard earned and easily lost. "Never" is certainly too long, but it'll take more than stating the obvious about DRM to make me forget that they participated in one of the most despicable practices that go around in the industry.
But then, I didn't like their games so far, so I'll not pretend that they've lost a customer with me. Perhaps if they behave in the furure and TW4 is a TB game with a robust character system...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Never forgive, never forget, huh?
Goodwill is hard earned and easily lost. "Never" is certainly too long, but it'll take more than stating the obvious about DRM to make me forget that they participated in one of the most despicable practices that go around in the industry.
But then, I didn't like their games so far, so I'll not pretend that they've lost a customer with me. Perhaps if they behave in the furure and TW4 is a TB game with a robust character system...

Fair enough. Personally I prefer to save my ire for developers that make shitty games and ruin franchises.
DRM, DLC? Those things are annoying, but to me they aren't dealbreakers in and of themselves.

Phelot

Arcane
Hey, I'm not saying I won't buy CDP games anymore, I don't normally boycott something that I don't like although I probably wouldn't want to buy something I don't like either. Anyway, I bought TW1 and 2 and if they make another decent game, I may very well buy that as well, but it doesn't change my opinion that they're hypocrites at times.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jonathan-Jacques-Belletete.jpg

He sure did!
But they won't be making any "PC exclusive" games anymore.
They might/will, they just won't be 'AAA+" which is the future of The Witcher.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Jonathan-Jacques-Belletete.jpg

He sure did!
But they won't be making any "PC exclusive" games anymore.
They might/will, they just won't be 'AAA+" which is the future of The Witcher.

He looked in the mirror and said to himself "I'm a handsome motherfucker, Adam should just look like me"

Achilles

Arcane
I like them and I believe they will stick to that, as long as they don't get bought by a larger publisher.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
CDPR has only ever released forgettable mediocre-to-crap games anyway. Their only function in modern society is to function as a potato detector, as all potatoes will immedialy and loudly leap to their defense at any perceived slight of Greak Polski Gaem Industry!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom