Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview CD-Action previews Fallout 3

MisterStone

Arcane
The justice system actually sounds kind of good, although the chances of it being non-buggy are almost nil. I haven't played any of the more recent 1st person RPGs, so I was wondering... do other RPGs have justice systems that are this sophisticated, or does stealing something basically just flip the kill switch on the back of their heads and cause them to rush you like a bunch of zombies?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll go against my hobbit by stating that some of these points actually sound pretty good.
The reaction to theft sounds a little bit soft, but I approve of a more diverse reaction than "You stole me! I KEEL you!"
I also like using stimpacks on body parts. I feel it adds to believeability.
But let's not go overboard. There is also stuff that sounds a bit iffy - no aiming at body parts unarmed? I'd have made hitting arms easier, so you'd be more likely to break arms and disarm your opponents, while hitting the head would be hard but allow for a quick knock-out. It seems to me that would've added some depth, and they go the opposite route. Typically Bethesda, innit?

Herbert West

Arbiter
But let's not go overboard. There is also stuff that sounds a bit iffy - no aiming at body parts unarmed? I'd have made hitting arms easier, so you'd be more likely to break arms and disarm your opponents, while hitting the head would be hard but allow for a quick knock-out. It seems to me that would've added some depth, and they go the opposite route. Typically Bethesda, innit?
That's probably due to their horrendous lack of proficiency with animations. I can just imagine aiming for the legs and seeing your character awkwardly flail his arms, as stiff as it were made of concrete, somewhere arround your oponent's ears... and scoring a critical hit on his leg nonetheless! Maybe there's only so much humiliation Beth animation team can take?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Herbert West said:
That's probably due to their horrendous lack of proficiency with animations. I can just imagine aiming for the legs and seeing your character awkwardly flail his arms, as stiff as it were made of concrete, somewhere arround your oponent's ears... and scoring a critical hit on his leg nonetheless! Maybe there's only so much humiliation Beth animation team can take?

Yep, I'm sure that design decision was made due to the work to create slow-mo animations for melee attacks. Well, I would have certainly liked to do a punch like this one on a supermutant face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leubfSMh6_Y

Erzherzog

Magister
So what you're telling me is that a hooker in a post-apocalyptic world will turn down good money because she has morals?
:lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Wolfenstein1942 said:
So what you're telling me is that a hooker in a post-apocalyptic world will turn down good money because she has morals?
Not to mention she will turn down a good-looking male and I don't think there are may of them in the Wasteland.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Slenkar said:
maybe the character gets older or later convinces her to put out?
- Captain! The Sarcasmo-meter doesn't show any readings!
- That's impossible...

hakuroshi

Augur
MisterStone said:
The justice system actually sounds kind of good, although the chances of it being non-buggy are almost nil. I haven't played any of the more recent 1st person RPGs, so I was wondering... do other RPGs have justice systems that are this sophisticated, or does stealing something basically just flip the kill switch on the back of their heads and cause them to rush you like a bunch of zombies?

AFAIK only Gothic series has any hint on more sophisticated justice system. At least you didn't get killed for stealing an apple, just got beaten up.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wolfenstein1942 said:
Not to mention morals that didn't make alot of sense before the nuclear holocaust to begin with. The pc leaves at what age, nineteen? And life expectancy for surface dwellers is what?

The mind boggles.

Mareus

Magister
I really doubt even Bethseda would be so dumb not to allow you to have sex with a hooker in post nuclear world. That would really be too dumb even for them. The player maybe just forgot to use admire, intimidate, joke and bribe on her.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You have to play the persuasion minigame a few times to unlock the sex minigame.

abstract

Scholar
CD Action in not fellating a big title shocker (fyi Oblivion got 10/10 and BEST RPG EVAR or something like that)

Texas Red

Whiner
Claw said:
Wolfenstein1942 said:
Not to mention morals that didn't make alot of sense before the nuclear holocaust to begin with. The pc leaves at what age, nineteen? And life expectancy for surface dwellers is what?

The mind boggles.

FOblivion appears to be filled with such stupidity(shelter booths, gangs in vault).

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
abstract said:
CD Action in not fellating a big title shocker (fyi Oblivion got 10/10 and BEST RPG EVAR or something like that)
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Badgermaster

Educated
Elhoim said:
There it said: "Need some <ahem> relief? The girl at the inn in Megaton can offer "special" services if you rent a room there. For a price, of course. A working girl's gotta earn a living. It's good for a quick health boost, I hear."

After the apocalypse, drinking out of toilets and nailing prostitutes will be the healthiest activities around.

Badgermaster

Educated
In Springvale, the Sputnik Eyebot was hovering over the street, broadcasting a speech of the Enclave president

I guess borrowing the Gravity Gun from Valve wasn't enough. I wonder what other design elements from HL2 are going to show up in FO3.

I think they are doing it to make something for the character to work towards,
its not realistic at all,
its...... like a challenge to the gamer to 'get the girl' even if she is a skank.
Its stupidly unrealistic but I know why they did it.

Nael

Arcane
Truth said:
* Megaton looks like a Wild West town. We have a good sheriff, and an evil saloon owner. The saloon has a prostitute, but she tells the player character that he's too young to use her services.
* Lots of blood and profanity. Body parts can be disintegrated or vaporized, depending on the weapon.

:salute: at Bethesda for creating an all-American game with all-American values.

Not that I give a shit about FO3, but the game is set in AMERICA you stupid fucking piece of Eurotrash.

Mareus

Magister
The only thing this game needs to make it better is DRM copy protection. I sure hope they implement it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom