Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Cave of Sorrows Dungeons and Dragons Clone

Deleted Member 16721

I want a ToEE-like game, and I really want a game with this sort of deep pen-and-paper D&D combat implementation. But not with stolen assets.

If the game's base system works well (which it does), why not just do a legitimate Kickstarter to raise money for art production? Or browse the various RPG art assets that are available on different sites, etc., and work with the artists. Don't steal from people to "make" your game.

Even if The Red Hand of Doom uses assets from other games, you can see the potential the game has. Just make a game like this with legitimate production assets, do it right and people like me will sing your praises and promote the damn thing.

We need more PnP-style RPGs like this. A Kickstarter could raise plenty to get some unique art made for the game.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I want a ToEE-like game, and I really want a game with this sort of deep pen-and-paper D&D combat implementation. But not with stolen assets.

If the game's base system works well (which it does), why not just do a legitimate Kickstarter to raise money for art production? Or browse the various RPG art assets that are available on different sites, etc., and work with the artists. Don't steal from people to "make" your game.

Even if The Red Hand of Doom uses assets from other games, you can see the potential the game has. Just make a game like this with legitimate production assets, do it right and people like me will sing your praises and promote the damn thing.

We need more PnP-style RPGs like this. A Kickstarter could raise plenty to get some unique art made for the game.

Because if we all own NWN 2 it is a lot cheaper. I bet unique icons and art assets and ui art costs tons of money. Just think of it as a really good NWN 2 mod that makes the combat good.

Do you really believe there are people that would pay money for this game who have not bought NWN 2 (probably multiple times like I did. I have it on disk, D2D, and GOG). I'm am sure there are tons of people who pirated this game that also pirated NWN 2, but I don't believe there is an audience that would like the far less fancy indie game over NWN 2, especially since NWN 2 had real time combat which most people prefer, just like they prefer fancier graphics.

Would you be willing to pay money for the IWD game being made with the ToEE engine? I would. I think it is shitty the people that put so much work into making something good for me cannot make any money off it. That is pure shit. I own three copies of IWD, and even more of ToEE. I have the fucking assets already. They aren't stolen.

Did you know that I think Funcom is saying the own the rights to Conan now even though it has been more than 50 years after ROn Howard's death? That is shit.

I don't pirate games. I buy them, usually multiple copies of them (though less so now because of Steam) and I really am getting sick of everyone siding with major corporations against the little guys working their ass off to bring other's joy.

Stop shitting on the little guy; especially when it hurts our hobby and enriches mega corporations.

If you still disagree with me, please tell me how this person using icon art from a game he or she and we all own? Is there a victim? No. Not until you fucking masochists decided to make victims of everyone who would love a ToEE like game.

I bet people think people from Massachusetts are uppity, but we aren't. We are so much better than everyone because we have standards and you guys are all hillbilly idiots. We don't rat on the little guys when it is tantamount to stabbing ourselves in our back. People outside of Mass do things like this. You are all animals. And not the good ones like dogs. You guys are like good for nothing giraffes. With super small brains and oddly disproportioned bodies, chewing on your tree leaves. Animals, every last one of you.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

omg. Omg! OMFG! :argh:

really? Really? REALLY?! Am I reading what I just read? Holy moly I think this is the very first time I have ever, Ever, EVER used this for anyone here. Sorry but is in a spoiler tag.

:badnews:

okay. Okay. OKAY just calm down right? wtf. Do you know anything about the gaming industry yo sup dawg? Must I pitter-patter in street lingo so you can like, you know, understand it because buying a game allows you to play it ..... it does not you know, allow you the rights to use the assets just because you have it on your hard drive right? omg. Joined: Saturday. Are we being trolled? This is what it is like right?

you know dungeon siege right? okay maybe you do maybe you do not but whatevs right? Lazarus Ultima 5 is a game made in the dungeon siege engine and you can play it but you still need TO BUY dungeon siege and expansion right? Are you some wither 3 fan from that country or some cleaning lady who interrupts recordings in the lobby or something because you have no clue what it takes to make a game and pay such cost for a game instead what you do is steal and if you are not the maker of the game you are sticking up for stealing and that is wrong okay?

and RPGMAKER? really? like wtf! there are much better toolsets out there that let you make stuff right? unity 5.5 get with the times.

I am not an animal!!! I am a meat popsicle.

Thanks,
Sherry

Deleted Member 16721

RPGMaker isn't bad in the right hands. Plus the Red Hand of Doom doesn't seem like a typical RPGMaker game. It can literally pass for a "real" isometric-esque RPG. There are modern RPGs from big studios that don't have the breadth of options in combat and tight character development that that game has.

But why not just use the open-source art assets that are out there? Look, here's a bunch of stuff you can have a field day with. Just read the licenses and act accordingly.

LICENSE INFO, FAQ, ETC. - http://opengameart.org/content/faq#q-proprietary

ICONS FOR RPGS - http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=icons

If you go about it this way you can make a fine module/game that may even be legal to sell! It doesn't have to look amazing, just have decent gameplay. People who fit the niche and love stuff like this, myself included, will play it. I'd love to play a completed version of The Red Hand of Doom. But when you start taking other people's art and assets from other games and trying to sell it as your own, legally, it's not going to work well for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit at all if a game uses stolen anything if it was going for a ToEE type vibe? Anyone interested in this game owns NWN 2, or is retarded, so who gives a fuck?

If the game uses stolen art and somebody else engine, what do you think are the odds they can publish it? Even if they were not fraud in the first place, the KS would attract sufficient notice to make sure the game can never be published if it succeeds.
And what kind of retard would give money to guys who are ok with stealing other people's work when KS does not enforce anything at all?
Of course, if it is all placeholder stuff and they plan on starting over with their own art and stuff, it would not be so bad, but how is the paltry amount going to cover that?

Deleted Member 16721

Of course, if it is all placeholder stuff and they plan on starting over with their own art and stuff, it would not be so bad, but how is the paltry amount going to cover that?

Placeholder is one thing. If the art is just placeholder it needs to be ANNOUNCED at the beginning.

Second, I just linked a site that has open-source art with various licenses someone could use. Or, they could find an artist that isn't going to break the bank, strike a deal with them and raise the money to cover their costs.

In other words, do it professionally and properly, like any other Kickstarter.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is not just about the art. They stole a whole other (unfinished) game and tried to pass it as their own.

Deleted Member 16721

It is not just about the art. They stole a whole other (unfinished) game and tried to pass it as their own.

Right. That's a whole 'nother level of crazy.

But I'm talking about the original one, The Red Hand of Doom, which uses other games' assets as well (but as far as I know never tried to sell it.) For people who want to make a "real" Temple of Elementail Evil-like RPG, there are art assets out there and ways to legally and legitimately create and fund something like that.

The Cave of Sorrows "devs" literally took that game and re-skinned it (poorly), lied about it and tried to sell it.

Deleted Member 16721

Yep. Total insanity.

Anyone know anything about that Kaelan fellow who made The Red Hand of Doom?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hi.

really? Really? REALLY?! Am I reading what I just read? Holy moly I think this is the very first time I have ever, Ever, EVER used this for anyone here. Sorry but is in a spoiler tag.

okay. Okay. OKAY just calm down right? wtf. Do you know anything about the gaming industry yo sup dawg? Must I pitter-patter in street lingo so you can like, you know, understand it because buying a game allows you to play it ..... it does not you know, allow you the rights to use the assets just because you have it on your hard drive right? omg. Joined: Saturday. Are we being trolled? This is what it is like right?

you know dungeon siege right? okay maybe you do maybe you do not but whatevs right? Lazarus Ultima 5 is a game made in the dungeon siege engine and you can play it but you still need TO BUY dungeon siege and expansion right? Are you some wither 3 fan from that country or some cleaning lady who interrupts recordings in the lobby or something because you have no clue what it takes to make a game and pay such cost for a game instead what you do is steal and if you are not the maker of the game you are sticking up for stealing and that is wrong okay?

and RPGMAKER? really? like wtf! there are much better toolsets out there that let you make stuff right? unity 5.5 get with the times.

Thanks,
Sherry

Sorry, I don't speak child or whatever language you are trying to communicate with.

And regardless of what you think you know, when I buy something it is mine. If someone tries to take what is mine I will kick them in the face until they don't have one.

Do you know how public domain works? Explain how an IP can be in the public domain and own by a company?

You corporate shills are the reason mega corps can get away with so much. Keep on being corporate bitches you fucking animals.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
dood -- you cant use other people's assets and sell them for money. If so NWN modules wouldve made their creators a shit-ton since they were better than the OC. Most of us assumed art and sound was placeholder, but if not -- we dont want anything to do with it. YES tells me he isnt the developer but just a fan, after previous comments I dont believe it.
Make the demo free and give up your kickstarter.
Or make your own/buy your own assets, and keep it paid.
But you cant do both.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Because if we all own NWN 2 it is a lot cheaper. I bet unique icons and art assets and ui art costs tons of money. Just think of it as a really good NWN 2 mod that makes the combat good.

Do you really believe there are people that would pay money for this game who have not bought NWN 2 (probably multiple times like I did. I have it on disk, D2D, and GOG). I'm am sure there are tons of people who pirated this game that also pirated NWN 2, but I don't believe there is an audience that would like the far less fancy indie game over NWN 2, especially since NWN 2 had real time combat which most people prefer, just like they prefer fancier graphics.

Would you be willing to pay money for the IWD game being made with the ToEE engine? I would. I think it is shitty the people that put so much work into making something good for me cannot make any money off it. That is pure shit. I own three copies of IWD, and even more of ToEE. I have the fucking assets already. They aren't stolen.

Did you know that I think Funcom is saying the own the rights to Conan now even though it has been more than 50 years after ROn Howard's death? That is shit.

I don't pirate games. I buy them, usually multiple copies of them (though less so now because of Steam) and I really am getting sick of everyone siding with major corporations against the little guys working their ass off to bring other's joy.

Stop shitting on the little guy; especially when it hurts our hobby and enriches mega corporations.

If you still disagree with me, please tell me how this person using icon art from a game he or she and we all own? Is there a victim? No. Not until you fucking masochists decided to make victims of everyone who would love a ToEE like game.

I bet people think people from Massachusetts are uppity, but we aren't. We are so much better than everyone because we have standards and you guys are all hillbilly idiots. We don't rat on the little guys when it is tantamount to stabbing ourselves in our back. People outside of Mass do things like this. You are all animals. And not the good ones like dogs. You guys are like good for nothing giraffes. With super small brains and oddly disproportioned bodies, chewing on your tree leaves. Animals, every last one of you.
you disagreeing with the system doesnt make the devs paradigm work. You CAN fuck the system, but you cant use paypal/kickstarter etc to do it. If you are going to be illegal you have to be ILLEGAL! steal shit, distribute it on torrent, whatever. but you cant steal shit and throw it in your store shelves, then act confused when the cops show up because "That old bitch wasnt even using it anyway!?"

Deleted Member 16721

Bring them down, fluent!

I have no interest in bringing anybody down. My interest is in people making games like this legitimately. I want the original dev of The Red Hand of Doom to do a real Kickstarter. I would promote the heck out of it.

NOTE - The Red Hand of Doom uses a ton of other games' assets. The art would have to be completely redone. But that's the idea. Make an RPG that is like this but make sure it uses your own assets.

Make the demo free and give up your kickstarter.
Or make your own/buy your own assets, and keep it paid.

Yep, that's about it.

fluent did you hear it? Share demo with everyone - you can do it now.

Anyone who is interested in the game can download The Red Hand of Doom. https://rpgmaker.net/games/7125/downloads/

Obviously it uses elements from a bunch of other games, but the point is, if the core gameplay is interesting the visual look and art assets are secondary. They just have to be L-E-G-A-L if you are going to sell it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi.

Thanks,
Sherry

Sorry, I don't speak child or whatever language you are trying to communicate with.

And regardless of what you think you know, when I buy something it is mine. If someone tries to take what is mine I will kick them in the face until they don't have one.

Do you know how public domain works? Explain how an IP can be in the public domain and own by a company?

You corporate shills are the reason mega corps can get away with so much. Keep on being corporate bitches you fucking animals.
There's a little thing called fencing/receiving. Look it up.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hi.

Thanks,
Sherry

Yes, the guys these people stole from sure look like mega corporations...

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hi.

Thanks,
Sherry

Yes, the guys these people stole from sure look like mega corporations...

From what I understand it Was Diablo 3 (Blizzard) and Atari (NWN 2). Atari shot themselves in the foot and is barely around. And Blizzard and whoever owns Blizzard is definitely a megacorporation and the only make children's games so fuck them.

Mustawd

Roqua stop being retarded and just log back on as your regular profile. FFS.

Some of us have missed your black cuckold/swinger ass, you know.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
For the rest of you corporate shills - the only reason the globalist mega corporations can get away with all this shit is because you shills let them and even defend them like crazy corporate robots.

The more we push back and fight for less copyright tyranny and bullshit and ownership of what we buy the better, not worse as you all seem to think.

Lets focus on the Conan IP thing. It has always been an IP joins the public domain after 50 years of the creator's death. That is why Vampires, Frankenstein, Snow White, Cinderella, Hansel & Gretel, and on and on. Now it is common for companies to somehow own an IP and not allow it to be in the public domain. Is allowing this LEGAL!!!! No, they pay off the right people and spend whatever they need to on lobbyists to steal from the public what should be ours. Not in a socialist sense, but in a cultural sense. What should be in the public domain should be all of ours. We all own it and can do what we want. But, because mega corporations buy off the right people and get the law changed in a corrupt system what should clearly be ILLEGAL becomes LEGAL!!!!

You can fight for the megacorps and their corrupt anti-democratic laws they paid for and the megacorporation owned and controlled media who would never report on the corruption or corrupt laws, or you can fight for freedom.

Please think of the big picture. Who are these people hurting? Who is the victim?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Roqua stop being retarded and just log back on as your regular profile. FFS.

Some of us have missed your black cuckold/swinger ass, you know.

Okay Fluent if you stop posting on your Alts I will only post on my prime account of Infinitron.

Mustawd

oh ok. You're not actually Roqua then. Ignored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom