Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Casual gamer doesn't get turn based games at subsim.com

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
We are having this thread over at subsim.com, and it started with someone masturbating about Fallout 3 then meandered from general gaming to Jagged Alliance 2 and turn based mechanics, and I am giving up now:

Old turn based games like Fallout. Turn based combat stemmed from the limitations of the technology, not because it was "more strategic" than real-time. The only argument anyone can ever formulate in its defense is basically one motivated by nostalgia and nothing more.

I also don't really agree with your opinion that Fallout and JA2 were pinnacles in gaming. For me none of them were particularly noteworthy other then being fairly solid games. I also don't need to know squat about any of those games to be able to observe the behavioral (written) dynamics or comment on them (in fact technically that makes me a much better observer since I have no vested interest in it, and so lack that bias.

That's exactly what I expected and feared but no one dared to say. People are that dumb.

link to the thread

Here some more amusing passages.

A notoric mis-speller struggling for some definition of NexGen:

With new tech like you said they can make new systems that compute information about the character and game physics in game differantly and more acurately. the games taht are breaking new ground have characters using skills in a real time formate. Where the atributes are physically made in the game and not just statistical represnetations. You would be lame to say the games that use this new physical representation is the same as older rpgs. Take morrrowind for example the actual mass and physical streength on the character are not modeled just the stats. Those stats sre compared to the opponents and it is mathmatically computed. Newer games let physics IE weapon mass player attributes modeled in REAL TIME to effect the out come. No more number crunching turn based Bull. You hit a guy the physics take care of the rest.

i.e. if you hit a guy in Oblivion, the damage is procedurally calculated ..

And let me say MATH is not the same as the stats your talking about. The universe revolves around math. Math will be in all systems. Our motions and world is defined by it and as games advance the math that runs those games will be more like real world mathmatical physics.

.. with mathematics that is not the same as the stats you are talking about

Oblivion WAS groundbreaking in many aspects.That can't be denied. It gives evidence that bethesda does not produce poor products. They put in the work to show it.

asked what was specifically groundbreaking about Oblivion:

I know that it has set the graphical bar for all games to follow. Is this not true?? Million dollar marketing??? I got it because morrowind was awsome. Before that I didn't even know about Elder Scrolls. Now I own all them. I mean all. Even if it is not Ground Breaking in story it follows the games concept. What more could you want. YOU sound like a kid that probably hasent played ARENA and even if you are more my age group your argument is unfounded dude? Bethesda was able to keep their stroyline entertaining and consistent in their Elder scrolls series. Why can't they do it with Fallout? heres a tid bit. Bethesda pioneered realtime RPG so there! In 1990 or 91.

Morrowind awsome, Oblivion more awsome.

Asked what was better in Oblivion than in Morrowind?

Which game or games did. I KNOW Oblivion was state of the art and the engine is capable of much more. (More than some of the fastest PC's of 2008 can handle with full hi res texture modding and full land objsct visibility, which can use as much as 1 gig of video ram) I think if you offer a counter statement its the posters responsability to provide contrary information NOT speculations.

asked if there was something else except graphics:

I did say which elements were better in oblivion opposed to morrowind re-read my posts. Why cant the graphical element of oblivion be ground breaking??? It was. It is one of the first next Gen. The first time I saw bloom or hdr graphics. Tell me the others. I know oblivion was one. does any one agree? Oh and as for as the flaws bethesda left the game open to player modding. They released as is. A game is at this point still art that's how they chose to do it. but the fact they let us mod it proves they care about the players and our vision of the game.

And just out of curiosity, who's behind that N1 meme?

N1 said:
Coincidentally, I played most post 2000 games and thought they are terrible. I imagine they would have been the **** if they were not some generic and unimaginative, boring twitchy clickfests for the ADD crowd. But at least I can get the good games mostly for free nowadays.

LOL. That kind of witty sarcasm is rare outside of the codex.

I don't know if codex needs more of this. But you can have a look into that thread, retardo it, discuss, but I wanted you to see it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
If you need to bash FO3 take the "33 points why FO3 design is retarded" - it made the IGN retards shit there pants.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try to convince him that turnbased is more realistic by telling him that his life is turn-based too. I believe in you, you can do it.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
GlobalExplorer said:
Turn based combat stemmed from the limitations of the technology, not because it was "more strategic" than real-time.

I agree with this. Turn-based isn't any more strategic or realistic than Real time... for me it's just another way to play an rpg. It might have been used as a limitation of technology, but I don't think it's dated either (wasn't real-time also around at the same time as well?). Fallout already had an established TB combat system that worked, Beth changed it so their new audience of console-kiddies could excessively jack-off to their l33t headshots throughout the game.

Hory

Erudite
This is the kind of guy that has a good vocabulary and looks intelligent, but in reality just likes to express his opinions regardless of how much he knows about something. Spacewar, Pong, and other of the first and simplest games were real-time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wilco said:
JarlFrank said:
Some of the first RPGs were actually kinda real time.

Thought so... rogue-likes?

I guess Akallabeth was kinda real-time. It was the first RPG ever made in 1979.
So much for "turn based is outdated lawl real time is teh future"

Burning Bridges

WhiskeyWolf said:
If you need to bush FO3 take the "33 points why FO3 design is retarded" - it made the IGN retards shit there pants.
#

I remember this vaguely, and I remember it was potent, but can't google it, forum search never worked as you know. Do you remember in which sub-forum it was posted or by whom?

Burning Bridges

I guess we can dig up as many games but imo all we can prove is that rt and tb developed at the same time.

In order to prove the superiority of turn based principle one would need to demonstrate that they allow for the better tactics and/or strategies. I am convinced this is the case from empiric evidence (~ 20 years gaming), but I cannot convince other people who did not play the same games (PG, FO, JA2), or have a differing opinion of them.

For me the essence of the turnbased game is modelling a real world problem, in a ruleset that is a simple as possible, allowing strategies as complex as possible (CHESS!). Compare that to your average realtime game. You order someone do to something and see what happens. If this is done well (the early Total War) it feels more realistic and unpredictable, but wouldn't it always become more strategic if it was turn based?

I thought I could get way with just pointing out that realtime games are not as strategically deep but then someone brought up Paradox games, which I don't like but respect. Personally I never saw the advantage of a strategy game being realtime except creating time pressure (like let's say multiplayer battles in a Total War game).
This is nullified as most people will use pause to give orders anyway, so I think they already work in kind of turnbased mode.

What remains is the unpredictability, the real time principle is better in taking away the causal link between action and consequence, and in this way more like real life.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why not take the example of turn-based combat in Sid Meier's Pirates? You're commanding a large crew in the fight, and you need to have precision as you can not afford to lose them in any fast moving real-time fight. A big thing like city siege must allow the player all the carefully consider each thing.

If both of them were fighting in real-time, they both would get equally slaughtered. Turn-based allows the man making the first move to keep his soldiers alive and the enemy all dead. It would reward good decisions and not be subject to the unpredictability of real-time.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
GlobalExplorer said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
If you need to bush FO3 take the "33 points why FO3 design is retarded" - it made the IGN retards shit there pants.
#

I remember this vaguely, and I remember it was potent, but can't google it, forum search never worked as you know. Do you remember in which sub-forum it was posted or by whom?

Here - middle of the page, a wall of text posted by me:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 6&start=50

Oh yeah, make that 34 point - I forgot this one:
"A crater made by an unexploded nuke"

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
WhiskeyWolf said:
GlobalExplorer said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
#

Here - middle of the page, a wall of text posted by me:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 6&start=50

Oh yeah, make that 34 point - I forgot this one:
"A crater made by an unexploded nuke"
You must add the Roach King and Dracula's army to that list now that we know they're in.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
it depends on the nature of a game whether turn based or FPS works better. And this isn't limited to computer games

we could play chess in real time and we could play, say, ice hockey, turn based, but that'd suck.

tactical games just don't mix well with real time because human brains lack processing speed and human bodies click the necessary buttons slowly.

if that's a limitation of technology, then you're a poorly developed bot :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
more like an idiot that should be purged.
Though I had quite a bit of lulz when I've installed FO1 at work and people who only play mahjong there (or some stupid shooter) tried to play it. It indeed felt like I've made them fly a real airplane with their skills limited to driving a bicycle.

Burning Bridges

The_scorpion said:
we could play chess in real time and we could play, say, ice hockey, turn based, but that'd suck.

Fact.

The_scorpion said:
tactical games just don't mix well with real time because human brains lack processing speed and human bodies click the necessary buttons slowly.

I dunno. I'll give you an example of a game I really like: Shogun Total War.

Strategic decisions are done in turn based board game mode. Every movement undoable, without time pressure. Which makes sense as a turn represents a full season, 3 months.

Battles are real time simulation with pause. No time pressure either, but the real time aspect of battles comes closest to the fluidity and chaos of a real battle (in the case of Shogun Total War).

On the other hand, Jagged Alliance, Fallout do everything the other way round. When you're not in tactical combat mode, you can leisurely walk past the map in real time.

So both approaches are possible: Turn based for strategic level, real time for tactical. Works very well for a grand campaign wargame. Or turn based combat, and real time for doing the "usual" things like walking around.

The_scorpion said:
we could play chess in real time

No, we couldn't.

tactical games just don't mix well with real time

All the commanders who fought all the battles throurough all of history of mankind are taking a collective dump on your chest.

DefJam101

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
All the commanders who fought all the battles throurough all of history of mankind are taking a collective dump on your chest.

The commanders don't exactly sit on the front lines selecting groups of troops with their mouse to send them towards checkpoint Alpha, now do they?

Commanders are at the top, they are presented with information on the battle through people under their command. They make a decision, and then it goes down the chain all the way to the grunts. Commanders have plenty of time to think, and unlike in videogames they aren't making 1000 smaller decisions alongside their overall battle strategy. That's the officers/soldier's job. Essentially turn based is the only way that makes sense since you are condensing the roles of an entire army into the hands of one player.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I'll give you an example of a game I really like: Shogun Total War.
:P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom