Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card Hunter now in beta

J1M

Arcane
http://www.cardhunter.com/

Short version: This is a deck building game crossed with D&D combat. Instead of free-form deck building, you equip your character with items. The items represent a set of 4-6 cards that are added to your character's deck.

battle-screen-030611.jpg

woodhome.jpg

The items = abilities aspect of character customization is an idea I remember playing around with in my head years ago. I was looking forward to seeing it implemented in a turn-based game. They have made some decisions regarding loot to have the grindy MMO aspects of common/rare/epic loot that detracts from the implementation. Instead of the deck building being about picking between axe/spear/sword it is about equipping the best item you've found so far.

Was excited for this game concept. Not thrilled at the implementation, in particular the small party size (3) and the "alternate playing a card" mechanic. Has promise, but it will require some uncomfortable changes. Also needs some balancing work. I found the cleric largely useless and went with a party of 3 wizards. The strict pen and paper representation of the game is charming and hides the lack of an art budget well, but I wish they had a better illustrator.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Got into the beta, looks fun so far, could become one of the better browser based games I've ever played. Gotta fiddle more with the game to have better impresions, but yeah, I don't really like the alternation of turns.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Got into the beta a couple days ago. My verdict is that it is way too fucking grindy. Whether you're in multiplayer or campaign mode you'll have to fight endless battles against the very few available opponents of your level, which give out absolute shit rewards on average. If the level difference is too high you just can't do anything; passive armor cards block all your damage rendering tactics and strategy irrelevant. And this is aside from the fact that half your deck will be useless shit like low level armor or movement cards that do effectively nothing while they get 90% high damage cards that may as well ignore armor entirely.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just got into the BETA. Will post impressions. Sounds worrysome though. A pity, as the concept is tight.

DaViLLaN

Augur
Bros, I also have Beta keys if anyone wants them

• CKJJ-QDSZ-CMBQ
  • XHPQ-QMFT-YLFM
  • VNDX-ZMKB-VPJH

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't found the game that grindy (I didn't play during beta): I didn't have to replay a single mission to level up during the campaign, and they offered quite a nice variety. The loot I got (I bought the basic edition pack though, giving me more missions and 1 extra reward/mission) was pretty decent, although by no mean mind shattering(I got two excellent low level legendary items, and a few ok epic ones).
Playing until you get 1 or 3 MP victories a day seems to be the optimal time/reward ratio (going over that has a much lower expected reward/victory ratio as 20*1st daily chest yields better rewards than going through the whole sequence).
I like the game so far, but I don't know whether it still has much to offer after finishing the campaign (sure there is the ng challenge mode, and multiplayer, but I don't know whether the MP matches will be varied enough to stay fresh).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom