Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Canonical RPGs

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
If the Codex were to establish a canon of classic CRPGs, what would make the list? Arcanum, Fallout and PS:T will obviously be there, but what else? Gold Box games, Ultima, Wizardry, etc.?

I ask because I'm bored stiff with gaming and there is NOTHING on the horizon that gets me excited -- except for the next Half-Life episode I suppose. Before I give up on gaming entirely, which I get closer to everyday, I want to make sure that there isn't some classic CRPG that I've somehow missed.

So, Codex, what are the CRPGs that every Codexian has to have played?

Zhirzzh

Scholar
I'd guess, in rough order:
PS:T
Fallout 1
Arcanum
Wizardry 8(7? 6?)
Fallout 2
Betrayal At Krondor
MotB
More gold box stuff
Whatever the Ultima 7 expansion thing is called
Darklands
Prelude to Darkness
Bloodlines
Anachronox
Witcher (with some objections)
Gothic 2
Gothic
KotOR 2 (position seems to be in danger)
BG 2 (with some objections)
TES: Daggerfall
TES: Morrowind
Geneforge 2
Dungeon Master
Geneforge
Geneforge 4 (?)
NWN 1

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Betrayal At Krondor

With the unanimously high ratings and recommendations it keeps getting around several retrogaming sites, you are bound to come across it.

Pretty much everyone who has played it has claimed to like it. I can't even think of one person who says the game sucks, and even the most criticism it recieves is for its crude graphics, for which people always profusely back up by saying that they still found the game interesting.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
I'd forgotten about Betrayal at Krondor. I added it.

I haven't played Lands of Lore. I'll stick it in if someone who doesn't think that KotOR 1 is better than KotOR 2 speaks up for it.

I'm avoiding the whole "not an RPG" thing. I may add Deus Ex and SS2 in later anyway, but probably not JA2. Diablo II should probably go in. I don't know about the first one.

Oh, and Prelude to Darkness, and Darklands.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Oh crap, you're right.

Should I add the pre-Oblivion Elder scrolls games?

Andhaira

Arcane
Realms of Arkania
Ultima 7 I and II
Baldurs Gate 2
Clouds of Xeen
MM7

Suchy

Arcane
Ultima Underworld - both games
Realms of Arkania - whole series
Deus Ex (even though it was light on RPG elements, but still RPG)
Return to Krondor. Awesome game, but it seems almost nobody knows it on the Codex. Think of BG2 with better story and TB combat.

Andhaira

Arcane
Return to Krondor was a fantastic game Suchy. I played it from beginning to end TWICE and I almost never replay rpg's. It also had some choices and consequences, such as dealing with the slave trader.

Also, the vampire town had some of the spookiest and most atmospheric moments of any crpg.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
What about Arx Fatalis?
More of an adventure game, a good adventure game, recommended.
Also Never Winter Nights 1, with tons of mods.
Divine Divinity for a light action RPG.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
This is too broad and vague. You need to tell us specifically what you want in terms of different mechanics. If you're looking for a "true Codex-style" RPG that's heavy on C&C (and don't start you tactical combat wankers) then it would be PST, Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Bloodlines (maybe), and MOTB. In addition, I think Prelude to Darkness and the Geneforge games would also fit into that.

sheek

Arbiter
AndhairaX said:
Return to Krondor was a fantastic game Suchy. I played it from beginning to end TWICE and I almost never replay rpg's. It also had some choices and consequences, such as dealing with the slave trader.

Also, the vampire town had some of the spookiest and most atmospheric moments of any crpg.
I liked RtK but C&C? Which Slave Trader?

It was 100% linear. There were alternate ways of solving some problems, like in the sewers but generally not.

Re: List

I would add Icewind Dale too.
Dungeon Master.
Daggerfall
Neverwinter Nights
Separate the Gold Boxes, many were crap

Eschalon? Most here haven't played it.

Zomg

Arbiter
I tried to replay LoL recently and it's annoying as shit. The main thing going for it is that the Westwood art style worked really well in 256 color VGA, so it still looks great - but egad, the world and narrative are Renaissance Fair neckbeard and ponytail fantasy, furries and Patrick Stewart included.

Edit - I like calling the nebulous approved RPG list Codex Curriculum.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Zomg said:
I tried to replay LoL recently and it's annoying as shit. The main thing going for it is that the Westwood art style worked really well in 256 color VGA, so it still looks great - but egad, the world and narrative are Renaissance Fair neckbeard and ponytail fantasy, furries and Patrick Stewart included.
I have LOL on my computer right now, and I just checked, and yes, that game very much is crap.

Its combat is boring, its areas are boring, its puzzles are boring, it is depressingly bad.

Andhaira

Arcane
@Sheek: Theres this slave trader in the beginning that you take the mage to see, who is masqurading as a carpet salesman or something. In reality he is keeping kids as slaves. Yeah the game was totally linear, but certain areas had C&C.

@Wyrmlord and Zomg: Lands of Lore a fantastic gem. Yes the combat is a clickfest, but its still a great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom