Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can Vietnam into FPS ?

Twinkle

Liturgist
Another tech demo shooter? I don't object this considering that Crytek became console whores and I'd like to see something that actually takes advantage of modern gaming PCs. Though, it tells that the gaming industry is in a total fuck-up state when low budget game from unknown Asian dev beats so called triple-A tripe in terms of graphics.

bert

Arcane
entertainer said:
vietnam is becoming the new ww2, everyone is now making games about it

I thought it was modern/near future games?

soggie

Educated
Twinkle said:
Another tech demo shooter? I don't object this considering that Crytek became console whores and I'd like to see something that actually takes advantage of modern gaming PCs. Though, it tells that the gaming industry is in a total fuck-up state when low budget game from unknown Asian dev beats so called triple-A tripe in terms of graphics.

Is that so much of a surprise considering that you can hire people of the same talent for 1/10 of the price?

Angthoron

Arcane
So the studio is full of emo bisexuals, or what's with the name?

The graphics seem fairly decent though, might turn out an alright shooter if they actually have gameplay designers too.

bert said:
entertainer said:

I thought it was modern/near future games?

That's what I thought as well. There's always been the occasional off-hand Vietnam games, but I've never really seen a slew of them jammed out by the "top" developers at once.

spectre

Arcane
^^Cause there haven't been any comic book or epic movie with kewl cgi, this would result in the average gamer being confused, not knowing, f.e. who the good guys are.

I remember trying to play Vietcong a few years back. Was pretty meh, lots of green texture walls where you couldn't see shit. But I generally cannot into fps, so nothing new here.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Luzur said:
entertainer said:

exactly, why not games about the Korea war? or the 30 years war? or the Zulu/brit wars? Boer wars?

then there is always the future wars/alternative timelines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrinVtdPWI

Because the US needs to mythologize a victory in Vietnam even in a game to get over the butthurt and make themselves look like the peace loving, plucky underdogs who never murdered a single civilian and only were there to do good against an evil enemy that had all the numbers, weapons and technology on their side.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
commie said:
Luzur said:
entertainer said:

exactly, why not games about the Korea war? or the 30 years war? or the Zulu/brit wars? Boer wars?

Because the US needs to mythologize a victory in Vietnam even in a game to get over the butthurt and make themselves look like the peace loving, plucky underdogs who never murdered a single civilian and only were there to do good against an evil enemy that had all the numbers, weapons and technology on their side.

... detected

chzr

Erudite
Luzur said:
entertainer said:

there was actually a commandos style game in korean war.

but besides Vietcong and reskinned battlefield there aren't really much Vietnam war games (i mean decent), so i guess it's far from new ww2.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Luzur said:
entertainer said:

They aren't glamorous enough. WWII had Vietnam had kewl hardware. Stuff like Korean war requires more refined taste.
Personally, I'd love to see more games set in Korean War, Arab-Israeli wars, Spanish Civil War, etc.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
chzr said:
but besides Vietcong and reskinned battlefield there aren't really much Vietnam war games (i mean decent), so i guess it's far from new ww2.
There are very few decent WW2 games anyway. Unless you think COD and MOH are great.

Was NAM any good btw? does anyone here remember it?

oscar

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
They aren't glamorous enough. WWII had Vietnam had kewl hardware. Stuff like Korean war requires more refined taste.
Personally, I'd love to see more games set in Korean War, Arab-Israeli wars, Spanish Civil War, etc.

That Desert Storm mod for Battlefield was always cool.

A user named cat

Didn't the director of the century, Sir Uwe Boll, help design or release a vietnam game? Think it was called "1968 Tunnel Rats".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom