Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can Anyone Recommend a Good "Builder"?

catfood

AGAIN
Caesar 2 actually had a more interesting combat model

Misconnected

Savant
Tropico.

Playing Anno 2070 will either make you feel exploited by the publisher, or guilty over ripping off the developer. Still, I hear it's basically an improved version of the last game, with mostly new art - in which case it's bound to be good.

Playing Tropico will make feel great. And maybe make you dance a little, and laugh out loud. Elation is too strong a word, but what playing Tropico does to people is similar. It's one of those special games you really should check out, even if it isn't exactly your thing.

J1M

Arcane
Tropico.

Playing Anno 2070 will either make you feel exploited by the publisher, or guilty over ripping off the developer. Still, I hear it's basically an improved version of the last game, with mostly new art - in which case it's bound to be good.

Playing Tropico will make feel great. And maybe make you dance a little, and laugh out loud. Elation is too strong a word, but what playing Tropico does to people is similar. It's one of those special games you really should check out, even if it isn't exactly your thing.
No, Anno 2070 is not worth playing. I had over 50 or 60 hours played of Anno 1404, but only a couple for 2070 before I uninstalled it.

I don't want to get into all the details, but essentially it has all the hallmarks of modern games seeping into the design.

Data4

Arcane
The thread went in the direction of 4x-style and "sim city-like" games, but in the OP, you mentioned RTS-style gameplay with turtling, rushing, etc. For that, I have to echo one of the first suggestions, Supreme Commander (specifically, SC1 with the Forged Alliance ex-pack. Skip SC2). It's not a perfect game, but one I find myself going back to from time to time when I want to wage some pretty intense war. The thing I like about it is how you can develop layers of offensive and defensive forces. I like establishing air superiority over my half of the map while developing missile defenses at my base. Then I'll start cranking out ground forces and slowly start moving the front towards the enemy until my final base rush is such a ridiculously overpowering, multi-layered force that I almost feel sorry for the AI and the death it's about to receive.

You can go multiplayer, but I just fight modded AI's. It's a nice way to kill a quick half hour, or you can get up to 3+ hours if you really want to stretch it out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Cities XL Platinum is good. Cities are much denser and bigger than in that POS Sim Shitty.

Of course you just can't have all the things and the game can use only one core.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
BROS, I LIKE TROPICO 4 THIS MUCH!!! (expansion... mmmeh... not so much)
Sure, it's easy and mechanics feel.. messy, but GODDAMMIT it's fun! There is so much freedom in development and atmosphere is top-notch!
Can anyone tell me if other Haemimont games are any good?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemimont_Games

BTW kind of disappointed with Anno 1404. Everything feels artificial. I can't feed peasants and muslims with bread? What the hell is this crap?

You feed muslims with fire and peasants with popamole.

But yeah, Anno 1404 is pretty shit. Never was a fun of it. Settlers was always the choice for me.

baturinsky

Arcane
Tropico 4 is about people, Anno 1404 is about logistics. Also, Tropico is a little too easy - once you get stable income and enough quialified workforce, you are set. Anno is quite hardcore by comparison.

Now, for something less orthodox - modded Minecraft. Easiest option is to use one of FTB packs. Build huge fully authomatic (and likely extremely laggy) factories slash farms slash mines.

catfood

AGAIN
The Settlers series is kinda crappy overall (yes, that includes 2). Knights and Merchants is the only worthwhile Settlers game out there.

EDIT: I have only played a bit of Cultures way back in the day so my memory of the game is fuzzy. I don't rember if those improved the Settler's mechanics or not.

:Flash:

Arcane
The Settlers series is kinda crappy overall (yes, that includes 2). Knights and Merchants is the only worthwhile Settlers game out there.

EDIT: I have only played a bit of Cultures way back in the day so my memory of the game is fuzzy. I don't rember if those improved the Settler's mechanics or not.
Knights and Merchants was also written by HobGoblin42.

Beasts & Bumpkins

That was a cool game when I was a kid. But not many have heard about it.

Bros, is Grand Ages Rome Gold Edition any good? Just ran across it, never heard of it, and I like Settlers like games (builders). Is it more like Settlers or something else. Any info would be appreciated from strategy fans.

Also some info on other Haemimont games? Like Celtic Kings, and that similar to Celtic King other game, but set in the Roman Empire. Are they good? And what kind of games are they? Builders or standard RTS?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I have played a fair share of stragety games in my time (AoE 1-3, Medieval 2, EU3, Vicky 2, Civ, etc.), and I must say that my favorite part of playing strategy games is the building/turtling aspect. I love the micro-managing and watching all the numbers go higher and higher as I develop my cities/units/whatever more than I like bum-rushing my opponent in the first part of the game.

BANISHED

Duh. How comes nobody even mentioned that game yet? Just drop the rest and go play it, if you're into building.

One where map-painting isn't the best or primary goal?

Even better - you don't have to paint map at all. There are no enemies or combat in Banished.

If you want smth similiar, but with a bit of combat involved - can't go wrong with Rimworld. The other suggestions like Settlers/Stronghold/Inspirations/whatever are gud and all, but they are all more or less classical strategies that just happen to have a deep building aspect in them. While Banished and Rimworld are builders.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't need to be mentioned, I suppose.

And also Dominions 4 sorry, reflex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom