Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty goes back to WW2

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread got very :obviously: all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I mean the Red Army did enlist women and to top that off there were children and women partisans who they equipped PPSH's with. 800,000 women served in the Red Army and I am sure there were millions of more women partisans in the Soviet area. You know this right?

I admit I didn't know they were as frequently used by the Red Army proper themselves. I was under the impression that they were using rifles more than PPSH's.

Anyway, I did some research and yes Red Army used the PPSH. They used it to fucking support riflemen. For every submachine gun they produced they produced 2 rifles.

Soviets were practical.

SVT.jpg

See this? This is the SVT-40. Theoretical main rifle of th Worker's and Peasant's Red Army. It's an excellent gun (I own one) but it's as un-soviet as it goes: it's finicky, difficult to clean rapidly and mantain, magazines are crappy. It presence though makes the SU the second great power with the US to try to get a semiauto rifle as a common gun. They still built hundreds of thousands, but they needed MORE. Mosins are very easy to build, thus you get the idea of MORE MOSINS MORE MOSINS COMRADE.

It makes sense: from strategical standpoint the weapons of grunts are kinda meaningless. You simply need more, need them now, and need AMMO. K98s are awesome guns, but they don't perform significantly better than a Mosin in the hand of your common grunt. They both kill roughly at the same range with roughly the same power.

Edit: Of course it's the standard SMG for the Red Army. As apposed to what other SMG?

PPD? The PPD-40 was supposed to be the Soviet machinegun. It was beaten by the pepesha thanks to advantages both in material expenditure and construction times. As the pepesha was beaten by the PPS-43 ( a marvel of wartime engineering: I've read that PPS could be built by unskilled labour in less than three hours. Compare with an Italian MAB (Moschetto Automatico Beretta) that was great and all, but required FORTY hours and specialized tooling and artisans.

orcinator

Liturgist
Spare me the edginess. Back in the day you played CoD/2 and you loved it. I know I played them at least three times.

They were always really bland shooters with a very heavy focus on scirpted cinematic crap to distract you from the boring shooting gallery gameplay.
I had fun the first few times I played a CoD campaign, but once I saw how half the game plays itself there was no way to enjoy it besides trying to not do what the game tells you to do and see how badly it breaks, and even that got boring.

DemonKing

Arcane
Played a bit of the game today. I played all the CODS released on PC up until BLOPS 2.

The War mode in multi is actually kind of fun (you take turns attacking/defending over a number of objectives). Team Deathmatch is nothing new but some of the maps are nice. Players are regularly using guns from different parts of the world/different sides which is rather annoying. Customisation is stupid and of course you can't dress as a German.

I played two levels of the single player. It's pure popamole trash but it looks ok.

Engine is fast and runs well for me. No crashes or multi issues so far.

It's not a game for a WW2 purist but if you just want to run around shooting stuff in nice environments you could do worse.

Teepo

Scholar
Yeah Alien man, it seems all the world war 2 nerds have come out of the woodwork.

mbv123 My comment was not meant to be taken as an historical fact. It was a comment poking fun at how PPSH-41's use is overblown in world war 2. Yes Red Army used it but it was not the primary weapon of the Red Army. For ever submachine gun they produced they produced two rifles. "It added close-in firepower for the infrantry" and "reduced the number of rifles required thus reducing the shortages of that weapon and the burden on rifle-producers as well." Of the 18.3 million small arms produced 6.3 million were SMG's (34 percent.) In an urban environment (like Stalingrad) pistols, SMG's and grenades are preferred but in more open areas rifles are going to dominate. I think the prevalence and use of the PPSH-41 is greatly exaggerated because it is not the best weapon or most accurate weapon, that's why you give it to kids and women. Spray and pray, my striplings. Yes they produced them in great numbers (about 6 million total) but you were still more likely to see a rifleman than a submachine gunner. Let's not forget that the Red Army was also composed off armored cars (that had machine guns mounted), tanks, artillery, mortar teams, anti-tank crews and the list goes on. PPSH41 is more of a pop culture thing. The Red Army did not rely on it. It is only in FPS games that it gets used.

Also Stavka did coordinate with partisans somewhat, I'm not sure if they equipped them though.

Jesus Christ. Is there any interesting COD news yet? God damn nerds. What the fuck is up with that shotgun that shoots flames? Is that a real thing?

Astral Rag

Arcane
call-of-duty-wwii-loot-620x320.jpg

:retarded:

We watched some soldiers as they watched some soldiers opening a loot crate in Call of Duty

The new Call of Duty is out, and this time it’s War 2. Sledgehammer Games, not content with turning the beaches of Normandy into a “Headquarters” where players can run around like silent psychopaths, have introduced a system of loot crates in COD: WWII whereby you can see all the items your fellow infantrymen pull out of their goody boxes. Super. One strange mission, Eurogamer have noticed, even tasks you with watching people open their airborne presents.

To give you an idea of what’s involved: when you stand in the game’s social space (similar to the Tower in Destiny) and call in a loot crate from your inventory, the box falls out of the sky and lands on the ground in a blast of dust and sand – a “supply drop” in the game’s parlance. Then it bursts open like an angry mimic, vomiting helmets and emotes for all to see.

At this HQ, you also get “orders” from a commander. These are straightforward tasks familiar to any player of multiplayer games laden with progression systems. Win a number of deathmatches, for instance, or kill a certain number of enemies in one game mode, and you’ll get a reward. One of these tasks is to simply watch three supply drops being opened by other players. The reward is 25 points of “social score”. Ew.

I’m so proud to be winning the war just like they did in the history books.

It’s absurd, and a bit grubby. Designers have long been manipulating our socially-wired brains to make us chase the next box of random treats. Here, they’re not just encouraging you by showing what others have received (what you, dear player, could receive!) but also making sure you take notice by giving you a wee bribe to do so.

You can’t currently buy Call of Duty WWII’s loot crates, but that doesn’t mean this won’t change in the future, nor that it isn’t taking something just as valuable from you: your time. If you’re grand with that, no worries. War it up, old friend. But it helps to be aware of the behavioural psychologist in the machine.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yeah Alien man, it seems all the world war 2 nerds have come out of the woodwork.

It's sperging. It happens.

My comment was not meant to be taken as an historical fact. It was a comment poking fun at how PPSH-41's use is overblown in world war 2. The Red Army did not rely on it. It is only in FPS games that it gets used.

The Soviet army was the greatest user of SMGs during WW2. The use of the MP40 as standard weaponry for Germans is far more a-historical, but this is done mostly because autos are cooler to use in vidya: ex. Battlefield 1, where you don't see bolt action rifles for most of the time.

Also Stavka did coordinate with partisans somewhat, I'm not sure if they equipped them though.

They did. They even stopped equipping them when it became less... useful and politically dangerous.

Jesus Christ. Is there any interesting COD news yet? God damn nerds. What the fuck is up with that shotgun that shoots flames? Is that a real thing?

Dragons-Breath.jpg

Teepo

Scholar
"The Soviet army was the greatest user of SMGs during WW2."

That's interesting. I've heard compliments about their strategy, artillery use, tank fighting, army structure, engineering and adaptability but not their submachine gunners. I did hear mention of squads of German submachine gunners used to counter-attack in Stalingrad. Soviets were clever in a lot of ways.

"It's sperging. It happens"

Agree.

Do you know if soldiers actually use shotguns with flame cartridges in World War 2?

Also from a gameplay standpoint that one shot kill flame shotgun doesn't seem like much fun.

mbv123

Arbiter
I remember hearing that German MP40's sucked ass. You couldn't reload them if you were prone, so you had to at least crouch to do it, which just made you a target in combat.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just played through the D-Day mission. I think we have a case of drama queens looking too hard for drama. The game plays like a good old CoD.

-You don't have a crosshair.
-Press 6 to use a medical kit. You can carry a few, and at some places I was pressed for medkits but I was playing like a complete noob.
-You can only carry one weapon plus your pistol. I'm not sure if you didn't have two weapons in previous games, or maybe you can swap the pistol for another regular weapkn and thus walk around with two.
-QTEs are a bit more complex, but still QTEs

I didn't meet a single black nazi. I found PPSh ammo on a couple of places, but couldn't find the actual weapon anywhere, so it's not prevalent or anything. I don't know what the whole bitching was about.

Regarding system requirements, the game is pretty easy on the hardware, my machine gets a higher load from Divinity OS 2. The terrain textures seem kind of blurry though, and there are visual issues with some objects indoors, like stuff sitting on shelves, being unnaturally brightly lit, while other objects look normal.

All in all, it's a traditional CoD, with a lot more detailed soldiers' faces and more acting than the old WWII CoDs ever had.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Spare me the edginess. Back in the day you played CoD/2 and you loved it. I know I played them at least three times.

They were always really bland shooters with a very heavy focus on scirpted cinematic crap to distract you from the boring shooting gallery gameplay.
I had fun the first few times I played a CoD campaign, but once I saw how half the game plays itself there was no way to enjoy it besides trying to not do what the game tells you to do and see how badly it breaks, and even that got boring.
I agree with your description, but my bar is pretty low, as I've said before in this thread. What do you consider a good FPS then? I can think of only two that pushed the limit - Halflife, and its expansion Opposing Force. Duke Nukem 3D also had very advanced level design (Richard Gray has been involved in both latter games), and American McGee's Alice too, although that wasn't an FPS.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The liberation of Paris mission was great, I wish there was a whole game that played like this, but with actual mechanics, not a scripted theme park ride. The movie reference was also well placed.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Finished it. It's what you would expect from a classic CoD, except they've put more resources into acting, scriptwriting and have tried to tell personal stories. I appreciated the didactic attempt as well.

I know this is probably nitpicking, but why has Call of Duty always featured crappy sound design for the guns and explosions? They constantly update the engine year after year (I could sperg out into the details if you want me to, but suffice to say, since Advanced Warfare, the COD engine has been radically changed with each new game) but for some reason, they can't fix the sound effects.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I sat down yesterday evening and replayed the Algiers part of MOHAA. I wanted to refresh my memory of why it's better than the later CoDs
- No iron sights aiming actually improves the gameplay, because it makes aiming tougher, which ends up not "less realistic" than having iron sights but actually more realistic.
- Much more freedom to maneuver during a firefight, that's due to the level design.
- M1 Garand actually can't be reloaded, like it can be in CoD WWII.
- MGs have about double the rate of fire of those in CoD WWII. Much more effective.
- Mission briefings ease you into the context better than those in CoD, but what follows is again the same mobs.
- The effects of getting shot are better in MOHAA than in CoD. Your aim flies off, and you are stuck in place - the shock effect of the bullet hitting you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom