Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "Call of Doom" - Doom 4 is fucked

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm also pretty sure id was bought for their engine coding ability. I don't really think Doom 4 or whatever is high on their list of priorities. Rather they're probably at work trying to replace that Gamebryo disaster.

They've said repeatedly the Gamebryo-rooted engine they keep updating is what their designers know and allows them to make large worlds relatively quickly. They have repeatedly denied switching engines to anything id makes. I believe them.
They supposedly replaced the rendering engine completely for Skyrim, but the new engine looks just as bad as the old one so it's hard to know what's true.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm also pretty sure id was bought for their engine coding ability. I don't really think Doom 4 or whatever is high on their list of priorities. Rather they're probably at work trying to replace that Gamebryo disaster.

They've said repeatedly the Gamebryo-rooted engine they keep updating is what their designers know and allows them to make large worlds relatively quickly. They have repeatedly denied switching engines to anything id makes. I believe them.

Pretty sure id was bought for the IP and because before Rage came out they seemed like hit factories looking for better production management.
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. No IP id holds is worth more than the studio itself. If all they wanted was the IP then it was a terrible purchase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. No IP id holds is worth more than the studio itself. If all they wanted was the IP then it was a terrible purchase.

Or, as I said earlier in this thread, Zenimax is a shit publisher for anything that isn't RPGish and they don't know what they're doing.

Brink. Rogue Warrior. Hunted. Prey 2.

Gord

Arcane

They supposedly replaced the rendering engine completely for Skyrim, but the new engine looks just as bad as the old one so it's hard to know what's true.

Todd himself admitted pretty soon that Skyrim's Creation Engine is just a heavily modified Gamebryo.
Considering how long they have been using that, I wouldn't call it a disaster either. Not for Bethesda at least.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Todd himself admitted pretty soon that Skyrim's Creation Engine is just a heavily modified Gamebryo.
Considering how long they have been using that, I wouldn't call it a disaster either. Not for Bethesda at least.
What they've said is that the current Creation Engine has no original Gamebryo code left, everything has been replaced at one point or the other. Of course, the basic Gamebryo structure remains and affects what's possible with the updated code.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is it so hard to figure out how to make Doom 4 a success ?

1. Fast Pace
2. Around 30 maps, not seamlessly connected, but that load separately.
3. Double barilled shotgun.
4. Monsters everywhere.
5. Complex level design, and surreal one.

In short, make Doom 2 with better graphics. And an easy to work with editor.

Shit is it that fucking complicated? I should be a game designer.

dunno lah

Arcane
Like most people pretentious morons, they(tim willits and matt hooper) probably make the excuse of trying their damnedest to make something "new" and "fresh" instead of rehashing old concepts. But, the reality is they just don't know what they're fucking doing. They're probably so deluded that they actually believe that they're innovating on the FPS genre just like what we saw in RAGE. Either that or they're just afraid to show their incompetence if they released a "Doom II with better graphics"...

DraQ

Arcane
Doom is about one man shoving a boot up Hell's ass, nothing else.
Dis. c wut I did there?

Doom (and many old FPS games) was more reminescent of heavy metal with good gameplay slapped on top, than any actual narrativist medium.
You can't make Doom cinematic because Doom can't be fucking cinematic and remain Doom.
Carmack is a loony faggot.

Edifice

Educated
I'd say that it would be better if Id went under so they couldn't rape the Doom and Quake ips anymore but Bethesda would just outsource them to some other shitty developer so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's like no one knows what a sequel is supposed to do anymore. You keep the same essential character of the thing, but make technical improvements, and give more/new content. It's not a license to make a different game altogether. Unless you're an asshole.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I didn't just say the IP. I said id looked like a hit-maker that needed a stronger management team before Rage came out. Hell, they might still look like that.

Bethesda has zero incentive to stop using the technology they know so well when Skyrim sells 20 million copies.

dunno lah

Arcane
Then again, it was already evident that Carmack was a loony faggot when he thought Quake was about spazz mehreen plinking tincans.
:martini:
Didn't he say that he'd like to go back to Quake's roots for a Quake 5?

Then again, this was something he said like 3--4 years ago, so he probably already doesnt give a fuck what games he makes anymore...

wergle

Educated
It's sad because Quake/Doom are the only games that can revive arena shooters at the moment. Plenty of quality, often FREE games have released and completely died within the past few years (Warsow, Nexuiz, Xonotic, PK:HD, Quake Live sorta) because the average fps gamer just has no interest in, or does not understand, the gameplay style. Quake and Doom are the only games with enough brand recognition to get past that, methinks.

UserNamer

Cipher

1. Fast Pace
4. Monsters everywhere.

with the resource needed to make a decent looking level today, I wouldn't expect more than 10-15 levels in a truly doom-ish doom 4. It would be more than enough. 15 complex, large levels packed with action would already be a lot

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

1. Fast Pace
4. Monsters everywhere.

But but, you have to justify that $100 million budget and appeal to the modern gamer! No, your feature list needs to be more like:
  1. Slower-paced, because fast movement with a controller is hard to handle (gotta be playable on consoles after all)
  2. Open-world with 10 "mini-dungeons" that resemble classic Doom levels in terms of aesthetic but are smaller and less complicated (optional, but they give you achievements if you complete them so you can show others how OGD you are) (also good for convincing reviewers who never played the original Doom that the game is "true to its roots", after all we need those high scores on Metalcritic or id Software doesn't get its bonus)
  3. Aim-down-sights mechanic for combat, ultimate weapon is the standard marine assault rifle
  4. Monsters are slow-moving and hide in cover (more realistic)
  5. Levels are jam-packed with cinematic awesomeness, after all, modern gamers demand variety and the way to do that is through frequent cutscenes, QTEs and changing tilesets as they perform the same gameplay over and over and over
Now this, this is truly an updated Doom for the next generation.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It's sad because Quake/Doom are the only games that can revive arena shooters at the moment. Plenty of quality, often FREE games have released and completely died within the past few years (Warsow, Nexuiz, Xonotic, PK:HD, Quake Live sorta) because the average fps gamer just has no interest in, or does not understand, the gameplay style. Quake and Doom are the only games with enough brand recognition to get past that, methinks.
Unreal Tournament 3 bombed so heavily that it will require decades of titles to revive the arena shooter, and I couldn't be happier. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Unreal Tournament 3 bombed so heavily that it will require decades of titles to revive the arena shooter, and I couldn't be happier. :smug:
The sad thing is that if they polished it more and put in more actual content, then it probably wouldn't have.

Sad because in many ways it was back to the roots - other than shitty GoW-like elements (new Krall, dudebros) and some overly baroque designs it was more like UT and even U1 than any game in the series. It could've been the best game in it so far and possible way to revive Unreal, but it ended up unpolished, clunky and with way too little content.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Unreal Tournament 3 was awesome, especially after they provided the Black Edition update to people. I think the big issue was just that it came out at a time when Call of Duty was dominating the multiplayer shooter market, arena-style shooter popularity had faded, e-sports were dying off and switching more towards console-oriented games instead of classic PC shooters, and the online account registration through GameSpy sucked nuts. Some of the blame could also be placed on the rising difficulty of making multiplayer maps due to the improved visuals expected - higher barrier for modders to put out content. Aside from the slightly Gears of War-esque look to some characters I thought the game was fantastic, albeit next to the other two games it was very stiff competition.

I don't know if arena shooters will come back any time soon, though the rise of MOBAs and strategy games in the e-sports community could mean now we have a renewed interest in high-level play that (good) arena shooters can provide - though from a pure spectator standpoint I think that first-person may be harder to understand than isometric perspective stuff (just think about watching a football game that way).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom