Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Cthulhu RPG

catfood

AGAIN
I've no idea where to put this so I decided to post it here since I might get more responses than say the Library subforum.

I wanted to try out a new PnP game and I've heard a lot of good things about Call of Cthulhu RPG from Chaosium.

I was wondering if anyone else here has played it and what their opinion on the game is. Most of the reviews I've read have been favourable, but since the Codex is populated only by the most elite of the elite I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear what you fuckers have to say as well.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played the 5th edition in the 90s. The mechanics were OK, but be sure not to get attached to your characters. (It's more fun when you lose them after a few sessions.) In fact, the sessions I took part in usually ended up being almost pure storytelling, which seemed to fit the horror atmosphere better.

I always wanted to play the Orient Express campaign. I bought it, but I'm a poor GM, unfortunately.

Elwro said:
I always wanted to play the Orient Express campaign. I bought it, but I'm a poor GM, unfortunately.
Could organise an IRC/PnP program get together on /gd/ to play it online, I'd be up for it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Satori: It pains me to admit this would unfortunately be completely unrealistic considering my work / travel schedule in the coming months. (And I still haven't answered your PM about classical music; I'll wait for the 2nd anniversary, I think -- I'm sorry :))

@vots: I don't think I'm that bad a GM in general; I ran e.g. the whole Enemy Within and the players were satisfied, but I'm not good at horror :)

Notorious

Augur
It's an amazing RPG and your character will always be fragile (So don't play with people who can't bear that their character dies in a second) I have an amazing group and it is really fun to play with them.

Also aquire Return to Dunwich, it's an amazing Adventure.

Baron

Arcane
Although I only played a few campaigns in each, Cthulhu and Paranoia produced some my favourite PnP sessions.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Satori said:
Elwro said:
Could organise an IRC/PnP program get together on /gd/ to play it online, I'd be up for it.
Same here. I haven't actually played it yet but I've read a bunch of CoC rulebooks (I own Cthulhu Invictus myself).

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
For better and worse Ive allways payed CoC at cons with strangers.

People look funny at you when you suddenly get an fix idea to sacrifisce your first born and 5 strangers on the street.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Chaosiums CoCs rules are pretty basic, but good for both the dramatic and investigative aspects of playing.
I heartily recommend it, but if you are into calculus and physics realism, this isnt the system for you.
The sanity rules get a bit clunky at times (in my humble opinion), so be prepared to house rule for ease of play.

Oh, and the Horror on the Orient Express campaign is great, though it railroads the players to a great extent (no pun intended), so again be prepared for improvisation. Have run it 3 times now, and all players loved it despite losing a hell of a lot of characters.
In one of the playthroughs each player had been through at least 2 characters, with some as high as five.
My latest playthrough ended abruptly due to players fucking everything up and handing over deadly artifacts to the enemy.
Good fun.

Zomg

Arbiter
Seems like a shitty setting for an RPG honestly, particularly with like a party made up of the characters of people sitting around a table. Lovecraft protagonists are alone, they all have one standardized personality, and not much psychology besides curiosity. There's not much substrate for gameplay because the setting is defined by hopelessness and pointlessness.

Unless like you are playing a mulatto cannibal cultist or something instead of the Lovecraft protagonist. I guess they feel pretty driven and individualized.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Excidium said:
What about Delta Green? It looks p. good.

It's great too. Probably one of the best source books in the entire gaming industry. Generally the whole DG line has a very high standard of quality.
Setting is more X-files meets cthulhu than classic lovecraft.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
You might want to consider porting in the madness meters from Unknown Armies (shouldn't be too hard to pirate if that's your deal) if you're going to do the role not roll playing thing, as it stands the sanity rules in vanilla CoC are essentially mental HP (except they tend not to heal very fast, if ever). This should be simple as the CoC rules are very transparent (pretty much percentiles for everything) and easy to learn and change, which is one of their best aspects.

Also, if the rules as presented are too simple for you, lots of other games have been developed from the basic ruleset, which is called Basic Roleplaying (BRP). The 'big gold book' is a generic version of the rules that came out recently (just called Basic Roleplaying: The Chaosium System or some shit), it has lots of optional stuff in there you can use, but probably the best iteration is Mongoose Runequest II (soon to be re-released as 'Legend' by Mongoose, and the original designers are going to spruce it up and release it as Runequest 6 - don't ask - under a different imprint), which has a great combat system and lots of Codexian stuff like locational damage and blah blah blah. It's heavily weighted towards medieval/etc. melee combat though, so be prepared to make fairly extensive house rules for fisticuffs and gun combat if you decide to go down that route.

Oh, and if you're going to get a hard copy, avoid the 6th edition, it's a fucking ugly book. Generally the only real changes between editions are skill lists and new monsters and shit like that. I have the 2nd edition box set and the 6th edition book and the main differences are:
'Major wound' rules
More monsters + pictures of the monsters
On that note, more art in general
Different picture on the cover
Probably new spells?
I think the descriptions of the disorders and stuff are based more closely on what's in the APA book, or something, and there's more of them
Equipment lists and background info on eras other than the 1920s (1890s and 1990s)
Incredibly muddy layout, ugh

Personally I'd try and find 5.5, shouold be basically the same shit as 6th but with the old clean/boring layout and fonts.

Delta Green is cool. The only genuinely useful thing it has in there, other than the setting shit, is a revamped gun damage chart which seems more congruent with actual ballistics data. Well alright I don't know much about guns myself, but I do know that a .50AE isn't immensely more powerful than a .44 magnum like it is in the base game. Seriously though, if Lovecraft + X-Files doesn't appeal, you can safely skip this.
There are other settings too, by the way. Skip Cthulhu Invictus if you want a Roman game, and get BRP Rome instead. Cthulhu Dark Ages is cool, but if you want a Nordic game specifically I'd get the Mongoose Runequest Vikings book instead (p. sure it's by the same guy who did BRP Rome actually, seal of fucking quality) and use that along with the base rules. My favourite is probably Cthulhu Rising, which is basically CoC aboard the Nostromo.

http://www.chaosium.com/

catfood

AGAIN
No, actually the simplicity of the rules is one of the main things that made me think about picking this one up. I would love to, for example, host a Pathfinder game, but sadly I doubt most of the people I play with have the patience for a more indepth system. Luckily 4e is so simplified from the previous ones and it has a really easy to use character generator program, otherwise we wouldn't be playing that either. Plus, since PC death rate in COC is so high I believe it's important that character creation be simple too.

We've played Arkham Horror (board game) and we had fun even though we lost most of the time so hopefully they won't be bothered too much when their characters die or go insane. As for the sanity thing, yeah I heard similar complaints. Gonna run a couple of games and then see how I'm going to tweak it to better fit our needs.

My latest playthrough ended abruptly due to players fucking everything up and handing over deadly artifacts to the enemy.

:lol: Oh, wow. Can the game really come to a halt like that? I heard that it is somewhat a more linear game, but can't the GM do something about it and alter the course when things go awry?

Oh, and if you're going to get a hard copy, avoid the 6th edition, it's a fucking ugly book.

I am going to get a hard copy and I'll try and follow your advice if I can. I've seen both pdfs and 6th looks like a pain to read.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've played a whole bunch of CoC and by far the best system to play it in is GURPS.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Can the game really come to a halt like that?

That's an adventure problem, not a rules problem. If the GM is responsive enough to player actions and ideas you should be able to get around this.
CoC's investigative style can make it hard to avoid 'save or get stuck' situations, which is why people thought Trail of Cthulhu needed to exist, but it shouldn't come up if you make an honest effort to avoid 'choke point' situations. That is, don't put the most vital clue in the stuffed deer head's left eyeball and then expect the players to make a Zoology roll to look there and find out what to do next.
I dunno what exactly happened in the example above but if the players gave away the artifacts to an enemy they thought was trustworthy, give them a reason not to trust them not too long afterwards and they'll at least try to get their shit back.

Zomg

Arbiter
Re-reading some Lovecraft short-stories, it seems like filling an insanity meter should be the object of the game, not just a "simulation" mechanic. The stories end mostly at the moment that the most human character loses his shit from too much understanding. So once you (the player) uncover enough of the plot that you learn something man-was-not-meant-to-know, the PC(s) go bananas and the game ends. What else would be the point of a Lovecraft story? To like get rich, get happy, revenge, some political thing? Fucking character development? Shit is not even a consideration.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
The point of the game is to play Cthulhu mythos games, not necessarily Lovecraftian ones. Even during his lifetime, Lovecraft was very happy to let people use elements of his mythology in his works and even incorporate their ideas in his. See Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Frank Belknap Long, August Derleth, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, etc. etc.
Secondly, the SAN metre goes down p. quickly (esp. if you meet some of the really nasty shit) and doesn't really come back - you generally only get SAN back for defeating creatures, that is successfully completing an adventure, but lose it for seeing shit, reading Cthulhu mythos tomes, and whatever else the GM can think up. The more you learn about Cthulhu and his bros, the lower your max SAN will be, too. So it's a downward spiral. Sure it might take a few adventures to go nutso but it'll happen eventually.

EDIT: Sandy Petersen talks about his ideas and shit here

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally, I've never understood the whole "PCs will drop like flies" type of gameplay in PnP if the game isn't first and foremost a tactical game where you have a map on the table and all, where the PCs are tactical units first and characters second. Then again, maybe I just buy too much into the White Wolf storytelling faggotry and think killing PCs should be a premeditated dramatic event in the story.

Oh btw, the weeaboo Codex might like CthulhuTech.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Sure, losing a character you've dedicated a lot of time sucks but without danger there's no sense of accomplishment. It's essential for a good adventure.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Then again, maybe I just buy too much into the White Wolf storytelling faggotry and think killing PCs should be a premeditated dramatic event in the story.
Too much indeed, WW RPG are roleplaying games, not scripted adventures. ;)

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Man FUCK Cthulhutech, why the fuck would you publish a mech RPG without writing rules for constructing your own giant robots and shit? Fucking cunts that's like the first thing you fucking do!

Actually I think some supplement or other has rules for that sort of thing in it, but for fuck's sake people lets get our shit together kay?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The fan expansion book has those rules, but they're pretty, well... Anal, as you've got lots of algorhytms abour power usage and such stuff you use to figure the stuff out. Though I guess CthulhuTech devs could defends themselves by pointing out that CTech isn't a pure mecha RPG but really an anime candy shop, seeing its got Guyvers, Zoners and all that as well as mecha.

It was much easier just taking the handheld weapons the same expansion had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom