Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hyllian. Why no scanlines?
Scanlines are more of a TV thing when displaying low-res content, I don't remember the technical explanation exactly but it had to do with filling out low-res 240p content on the screen. As far as I remember, PC CRTs didn't display scanlines, they work differently from TVs. Hyllian and most well known shaders are based on TVs. There are some shaders that change the way scanlines work past a certain resolution, others display them all the time.
077cfeb2f62fd41df646f52dced51236.png

7d726cd8fefc21329bee6141a9cecbe8.png

I may tune them down a little for higher res games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah I used console emulators in the 90s and they had options for enabling scanlines and interpolation because playing one of these games on your monitor did not look the same as playing one on your tv, even if you were setting it to the original resolution.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I don't think it'd change the fundamental nature of Temple if I completely rewrote it, redesigned the encounters, and added a lot more content."

It'd still be a 3.5 D&D game, sure.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"I don't think it'd change the fundamental nature of Temple if I completely rewrote it, redesigned the encounters, and added a lot more content."

It'd still be a 3.5 D&D game, sure.
Also, yeah, the game could've used more content.
Get rid of Hommlet or make it so there are a lot more quests that don't involve talking with the locals too much.
Hommlet's a real chore until you get to the Moathouse and the game begins proper.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, hotkeys are mentioned in the manual. Either he forgot or what he actually meant was a having a hotbar where you can actually see and click on what you want to use instead of memorizing what you've hotkeyed or digging through several submenus each time.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Don't ask Cain about releasing code, the indie scene (Just a consumer of them like anyone else, can't comment on the internal workings), Bloodline's design (You can thank him for the Sheriff throwing cars and hookers though), working at 'pure' tech companies, his opinions on methodologies like SCRUM, Outer Worlds 2 stuff (And don't try to trick him), streaming coding/playing games, or current events like Unity and BG3 bear sex. :lol:

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People have been seething about the bear since July, I don't think it's going away in a few months, the bear is eternal. :lol:

Viata

Arcane
What indie scene, btw? It's so big at this point it's just another big part of video game industry. What about the single A games instead of AA or AAA ones?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim's now on the :balance: side of things and thinks a skill for any given action should only be present if it's used frequently enough to justify its inclusion.

He also seems to regret the coarse Arcanum skills and would have rather made those perks instead. Naturally he's most in favor of the granular 1-100 range, but doesn't mind 1-20 either.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Tim's now on the :balance: side of things and thinks a skill for any given action should only be present if it's used frequently enough to justify its inclusion.

He also seems to regret the coarse Arcanum skills and would have rather made those perks instead. Naturally he's most in favor of the granular 1-100 range, but doesn't mind 1-20 either.
What's wrong with Arcanum skills?
Not too few, not too many. Just the right amount.
It seems lately he is in a really "shoulda, coulda" mode. Running out of ideas for videos and starts talking about "rebalancing" the games he has worked on.
Will he talk about remasters eventually? Since we are living in the age of remasters and "reimaginings" for a more MODERN AUDIENCE that reflects the current world...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
"I own the code so I can use it"

"I can't release the code"

That doesn't sound like ownership at all, it sounds more like a license to use it with maybe some royalties mixed in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1-5 range is too small for his liking in a dozens-hours long RPG. Means it's not really a good idea to have items that give skill bonuses because it's such a huge buff.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
1-5 range is too small for his liking in a dozens-hours long RPG. Means it's not really a good idea to have items that give skill bonuses because it's such a huge buff.
Disco Elysium was one of the RPGs ever made, it featured a wholly clothing based system operating in similar ranges and it's more successful than anything Tim's ever made
SCHOOLED

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom