Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline C&C Generals 2 is dead - evolves into Free2Play gayfest... and then it dies. Amen.

Keshik

Arcane
Well based on RA3, I could see them offering you different hot women briefing officers as DLC, heh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No, they didn't.

EDIT: Oh, ok, there was Renegade, but that were already the last pathetic gasps of a company about to get rEAped

Keshik

Arcane
Thought TS' problem was just it was "more of the same", or that was the criticism I recall of it. Largely the games felt the same through to RA2.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After all the popular butthurt feedback, EA decided to include the SP mode:

Does that mean it’s not going to have single-player? No, that’s something we’ve obviously heard loud and clear that is important to people. The beauty of free-to-play, is that we can adjust and adapt to what we’re hearing as opposed to, ‘I’m sorry, it’s two months from ship and it is what it is.’ It’s a very different model because you don’t have to build as much. You build in response to your audience.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/comma...-will-feature-a-single-player-mode-after-all/

Angthoron

Arcane
So if the audience request that their "games" stop sucking, the new F2P model can accomodate this request?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
jon+van+caneghem.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
There was also Tiberian Sun, which was utter shit.
I loved the graphics, the music and the campaign. The problem was that after finishing the campaigns in less than a week, I was left with horribly boring skirmish mode.
But then I never loved RTS games. I strongly prefer tactical wargames over RTS.

marooned

Liturgist

Couldn't disagree more. I consider Tiberian Sun the third best c&c just slightly behind the original c&c (the best hands down) and Red Alert (soviets! Yaks!). RA2 was fun but a total disgrace c&c-wise. c&c Generals was one of the first 3D RTS that really enjoyed and had tons of fun in both SP and MP. I didn't really care the name "c&c" in it.

I read with amusement the news that Bioware, of all them developers, was doing Generals 2. Didn't care then, don't care now.

Just dimly hoping they crash hard with this so they're finished already and to prevent a future embarrassment of c&c and red alert, as if more were possible.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What's with the TS hate? By far the best in the series. BY FAR. Much better than the first one, even though I do like that one a lot, and MILES better than RA1, which until like ten patches later was pure "build 100 tanks and 1000 tesla coils to win". TS had a TON of optional missions, all of which affected objectives in later missions, and although NOD artillery were stupidly overpowered at first they got nerfed down and the sides were actually pretty balanced, much more so than in any other C&C. No spamming of special units also meant you had to use them intelligently to supplement your regular army, as opposed to being IWIN buttons like in previous games. Some pretty creative use of elevation, I think the first RTS to do that (did Dark Reign come out earlier?), with projectile physics being heavily affected by it. Cheesy as hell FMV, but then that was always the appearl of C&C FMV. It unfortunately continued the trend of having the canonical GDI ending suck major ass, but the NOD ending was great, and the way both sides are presented through the NOD campaign was pretty neat. Awesome game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's hated because it's too complicated (compared to your typical RTS that is). In Morgoth's favorite RA1 you just spam best units and win the war.

Exactly for the reasons you named.

Same reasons why XCom is teh best game evar and not JA2 or Silent Storm, Panzer General is teh best game ever and not Steel Beasts or Combat Mission.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, I didn't know Tiberian Sun was available for free. Guess I'll have to give it a try after all this time!

Renegen

Arcane
I waited more for Tiberium Sun than any other game before and since. Back then gaming PR was still in its infancy. It was announced years before being released and very little information trickled in. You had websites that were dedicated to analyzing every pixel in the single screenshot released in the last months to confirm what unit existed and what the game could look like. I even did my own such website just short of publishing it on the web. There was this huge controversy too surrounding the screenshots because it was found they were doctored to add fake effects. Overall the wait was messy and excruciating and expectations were sky high. When the game came out, everyone that had been waiting was thoroughly disappointed. It didn't help that Tiberium Sun didn't really innovate.

Early Westwood games under the EA banner (Red Alerts 2, Emperor: Battle for Dune) actually were even better.

Tiberian Sun was the best of the series. Emperor: Battle for Dune? Seriously? It was a campaign of 20 skirmish missions tied together with about 5 actual missions.

No, they didn't.

EDIT: Oh, ok, there was Renegade, but that were already the last pathetic gasps of a company about to get rEAped

Renegade was still a pretty decent game. Online was great fun. Westwood managed to hold out pretty well against the rEAtardation until it finally swallowed them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom