Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Buying PS3

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What's your opinion about PS3 Star Ocean?
I haven't played it. Even if I liked SO3, the grind was really too much and I don't have patience for it anymore.

The jrpgs I've played and liked in the PS3 are: Demon Souls, Nier and Dragon's Dogma DA. I also have Resonance of fate, which seems interesting, but haven't tried it yet.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Ocean The Last Hope?

It's Final Fantasy XIII with waaaaaaaaay better combat, and children instead of edgy teenagers. And you don't have to wait until 70% through the game to access your full powers. And the story is at least somewhat interesting.

So it's like FFXIII but better in every single possible way.

Ok I've got one, playing Drakengard 3 / Wolf: New Order / Mk vs DC until Persona 5 release but totally cannot into PS2 emulation....Is it even possible with CFW 4.80 Cobra firmware?

Most of PS2 games I can run on my PC but Xenosaga is too fucking slow so maybe PS3 can handle it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You PC configuration? C'mon there are a lot of codexers who can give you advice.
Xenosaga is perfectly playable. I think there are two choices however. Neither one is perfect.

2 Ghz Ram, Core 2 Duo 2,6, Geforce GT 9500... but I've checked all configs from pcsx2 wiki and it's still slow...

My hopes are in PS3 but seriously, I installed PS2ISO Launcher + PS2 Classic Placeholder PKG + created 'aa' account that renamed itslef to PSreactsomething, made pkg. of iso (tried Xenosaga 1 USA and Xenosaga 3 Undub) and installed it and after launching Placeholder icon there is a black screen and PS3 backs to XMB desktop.

Some dudes in tutorials choose iso icon from RETRO section but I haven't such option. Maybe some of u guys have a tutorial made directly for Cobra 4.80 CFW with all files links, packages and shit?

Or alternatively, to spend the time with PS3 before Persona 5 release, what are the good exclusive PS3 jrpgs? Ni No Kuni? Resonance of Fate, some Atelier thing? Star Ocean 4?

And last problem - after deleting each game / app, I think my disk space is shrinking or it's not displayed properly, I deleted gaem iteslf, game utility fales, save files and still, didn't recover as much space as before installation. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why don't you overclock to 3.2 GHz or higher? Xenosaga actually wanted a lot of CPU power. Or you can upgrade to newer CPU and MB and RAM, and run it without overclocking. Some PS2 emulated games actually liked 3.9 GHz Ivy-E CPU which is quite a bit 1.45x more efficient than old architecture. Considering how old that CPU is, and that you probably don't have large aftermarket cooler, the stress from overclocking would probably kill the CPU, or the MB.
Also if you don't have 4 sticks of RAM, you did something quite wrong.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I wanted to play Xenosaga on PC at first but I eventually played it on PS2 because it was damn slow. My config is slightly superior to yours, so maybe you'll always have difficulties in making this one run.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Some people with similar CPUs as his overclocked theirs CPU to 3.8 GHz to play Xenosaga. But newer CPU architecture emulates it much better.

I used E7200 overclocked to 3.2 GHz for 7 years. But, it's smart to refresh before it wears out.

Thx guyz but I managed to run it on PS3.

It was not about wrong firmware or launcher, just some games demand weird preparations, first Xenosaga requires Toxic patch (hadn't tried yet) and in order to run Xenosaga 3 Undub there's a neeed to rebuild ISO in a proper manner. I'll leave this instruction here, it may be useful for someone in my situation:

You need:
a) ISO of Xenosaga 3 disc 1.
b) Some disc image emulator like Alcohol or Daemon.
c) CD_DVD-ROM Generator 2.00
d) cdvd iml2iso 5.3.0

1) Load iso to virtual drive, and open it. Copy all files to HDD.

2) Start CD_DVD-ROM Generator 2.00 -> "Create new project" -> "DVD-Rom Master Disc" -> and put all files in order:
SYSTEM.CNF
SLUS_213.89
OV01.OVL
OV02.OVL
OV04.OVL
IOP
X3.00
X3.01
X3.10
X3.11

3) Go to the "Volume" tab and enter:
Disc Name: SLUS 21389
License Area: America

4) Select "File", then "Export iml file". Select a name and a place for your iml file.

5) Start cdvd iml2iso 5.3.0 and open in "Folder Path" iml file you created.

6) Convert your iml to iso.

7) Convert your new iso (I was using ps2classics_2.0_GUI), and upload to PS3.

8) Play.

And PS3 offers some bells and whistles for PS2 games to turn on (like anti-aliasing or smt) so there is no PS2 game on PCSX2 that my PC would run better than this shit.

PS I'm fucking surprised how poor JRPG library PS3 has. I'll try some glorified popamole like Last of Us, Uncharted, Infamous one day.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
PS3 has Atelier games. But yes aside of Tales of Xilia, it kinda has very few RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
xenosaga ep3 at 4k on pcsx2
QMdTfyg.jpg

Max Stats

Liturgist
You can play PS2 on any CFW'd PS3, first gen PS3 had legit ps2 hardware compat, later and eurofag big PS3 had part hardware part emu ps2 compat, slims and beyond have no built in PS2 compat but you run a PS2 iso through some stuff and it runs (in emulation only) on PS3. Not claiming it's perfect but if you don't have a mutlithousand dollar PC built 2 weeks ago, it's probably better than PCSX2 (with less bells and whistles, and last time I ran any it was 720p only, no 1080 support). I've had no problems with the half dozen or so PS2 games I tried on my CFW'd slim.

Many overlook it or think it's similar situation to PS2 but ALL PS3 play PSX/1 games (in emulation) but frankly I don't like how it handles video (no 240p support), personal preference.

Could I play legit copies on CFW'ed PS3 without some shit like banning console or smt? No interest in multi, just SP.

Old question but still worth addressing. For SP, just never put a PSN account on the system, EVER. I didn't and games (which I only play SP) are fine. You can even access updates without PSN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom