Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bros, in 2012, Wind Waker is hardcore

canakin

Cipher
Machocruz, sea I didn't expect such detailed and thought-out explanations, thanks guys. Now that I have a better grasp of the matter maybe one day I can enjoy Zelda too :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I loved A link to the past but I found Ocarina boring after a while. Are the rest of the series better than Ocarina, and if so, which one should I try ?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, I loved A link to the past but I found Ocarina boring after a while. Are the rest of the series better than Ocarina, and if so, which one should I try ?
If you prefer the 2D gameplay I would download a Game Boy emulator and get Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. They're basically the same thing but with more emphasis on puzzle-solving, and with slightly smaller game worlds (though Ages and Seasons are actually pretty close to full-length console games).

If you found Ocarina boring you might like Majora's Mask more, however honestly the rest of the games are built in Ocarina's model so you might get tired of them after a while as well. Depends on what you found boring though, if it was the setting, the story, the characters, etc. then you might prefer some of the later games, however if it was the gameplay, well, they're all basically like that.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The first Zelda title is still the best one, with great exploration, lots of secrets and challenging dungeons... And I just love Zelda 2's combat. The NES titles are still worth playing, and I think ALttP was pretty dumbed down in comparison.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are also great games but for very different reasons. I would even say MM is a "must play" due to the unique gameplay quirks and the different ways to complete quests and interact with the game world and NPCs (thanks to time travel and the different masks).

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
:necro:

I've been playing through OoT recently, and I have to say, i'm pretty surprised about how dark it was for a children's game [Although Ganandorf was your typical "im a bad guy" children's cartoon villain]. I beat MM on the console a LONG time a go, so i'm going to have to see why so many people thought MM was better.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I think MM is a bit overrated. I personally liked TP more. WW had too much sailing and OoT is extremely overrated.

SS has some nice swordplay but most of the wii controls are ass and too much backtracking.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
and OoT is extremely overrated.
Not really. Along with Mario 64, OoT pretty much helped set the standard for how 3D games were made.

It set the Standard, but MM refined that standard.
Many, many games have refined it since and continue to do so to this day, that still doesn't take away from OoT's achievements. It's earned all the praise and respect it gets, one of the very few highly rated game that actually isn't overrated imo. Unlike many of the games people like to call "innovative", OoT truly was.

Absalom

Majoras Mask was pretty good, though my opinion may be invalid since I actually liked the sailing in WW :thoughtcrime:

Holy shit all dat necromancy.

This thread does raise a valid point, however. When people talk about how "hardcore" games used to be, I think of shit like having to draw maps manually, or writing down the mantras in ultima. But yeah, games do have way more direction these days, even ones not that old.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
they're more like Link to the Past

They're nothing like Link to the Past, which was a virtually puzzle free shit fest.
Link to the Past is an adventure game where you explore dungeons and gather powerups. Much like all the Zelda games before OOT. And hey, Mastermind thinks a good game is shit. Who's surprised?

and OoT is extremely overrated.
Not really. Along with Mario 64, OoT pretty much helped set the standard for how 3D games were made.

It set the Standard, but MM refined that standard.
Many, many games have refined it since and continue to do so to this day, that still doesn't take away from OoT's achievements. It's earned all the praise and respect it gets, one of the very few highly rated game that actually isn't overrated imo. Unlike many of the games people like to call "innovative", OoT truly was.
OOT is the last Zelda game I actually played all the way through. I got bored of MM after I got to the first dungeon; I didn't like the time reset gimmick. And that's really my problem with all the modern Zelda games, they're increasingly more about gimmicks and puzzle solving. I mean, WW was fun even with the pointless sailing gimmick until the game basically stops and makes you grind rubies so you can get maps to find the triforce pieces. Would it have been that difficult to add another 2 or 3 dungeons for that purpose? And the whole wolf part of Twilight Princess turned me off that game almost immediately.

Holy shit all dat necromancy.

This thread does raise a valid point, however. When people talk about how "hardcore" games used to be, I think of shit like having to draw maps manually, or writing down the mantras in ultima. But yeah, games do have way more direction these days, even ones not that old.
I grew up with the NES and SNES, so for me hardcore is just zero tutorial platforming with limited lives and no continues. Everyone's experiences are going to be different when it comes to game difficulty, but it's not hard to chart an overall decrease in difficulty as games have become more cinematic with an emphasis on storytelling rather than just throwing the player into the action.

Keldryn

Arcane
Would it have been that difficult to add another 2 or 3 dungeons for that purpose?
From what I've read, they intended to have some more dungeons (two, I think), but they ran out of time, or something to that effect.

Yes, there were a couple of dungeons cut from the game, but they've apparently already been re-used in subsequent Zelda games: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dungeons-were-reused-in-other-zelda-games

I think it's pretty safe to say that there was supposed to be a dungeon where you get the third pearl. It's been a long time since I played WW, so I can't remember the other place where it felt like I got a reward too easily.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
TP is terrible but Skyward Sword is even worse.

And you know, for some idiotic reason I still think "maybe next time they'll get it again. maybe."

Hobo Elf

Arcane
WW is my favorite Zelda. I may be, perhaps, the only person who enjoyed the sailing a lot. I feel like a kid again when I play WW due to its child-like charm. It really is a feeling like I'm back in the days when me and my friends would explore the backyard and pretend it was an adventure. To me, that is the core of what Zelda is all about.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only good Zeldas are the handheld ones. Also top down or bust, fuck 3D - I spent most of the time in the 3DS version of OoT fighting the stupid controls and longing for the days of Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only good Zeldas are the handheld ones. Also top down or bust, fuck 3D - I spent most of the time in the 3DS version of OoT fighting the stupid controls and longing for the days of Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.
I'd agree with you on Link's Awakening. I've been playing that again recently, I haven't really touched it in years and I forgot how fun it was. The only other handheld Zelda I've played was Minish Cap, and I got bored with that about an hour in.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd agree with you on Link's Awakening. I've been playing that again recently, I haven't really touched it in years and I forgot how fun it was. The only other handheld Zelda I've played was Minish Cap, and I got bored with that about an hour in.
The Oracle games (Oracle of Ages and of Seasons) are GBC games that use the same engine as Link's Awakening DX, only with the "rooms" being bigger than what fits one screen. The gameplay is the virtually the same with some additional puzzle mechanic outside of the dungeons due to time travel and changing of seasons, I recommend trying them out.

Koschey

Arcane
The only good Zeldas are the handheld ones.

Eh, that way, you exclude A Link to the Past (unless you count the GBA rerelease), but include stuff like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Personally, I can't decide on a favourite between ALttP and Link's Awakening. The other GBC games are good as well, but I'm not a fan of all the nut-handling they introduced.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When I picked up OOT again a while ago I was literally stunned by how well-designed that first dungeon was (and most of them are). Compare modern Zelda games to it. There's something very purposeful in the design, with its multiple levels, its themes, its quiet atmospheric music. There's a lot of love there that just can't be found in Skyward Sword or TP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom