Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BROS FAVORITE GENESIS OR SNES GAMES

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST LOOKING FOR NEW STUFF I KNOW ABOUT ALL THE ZELDA MARIO METROID SHIT

RIGHT NOW I AM PLAYING CONTRA 3 ALOT AND SUPER PUNCHOUT

ON THE GENESIS I REPLAY SHADOWRUN STARFLIGHT AND KINGS BOUNTY EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE AND TOEJAM AND EARL OR HERZOG ZWEI HERE AND THERE

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I could write a giant list but here are some great and not-so-famous Genesis Mega Drive games:

Altered Beast
Golden Axe games
Motherfucking Shinobi III
Ecco the Dolphin (this game is real fuck up man, never finished it)
Quack Shot

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never had an SNES but I did have a Genesis (which was eventually stolen out of my college dorm room!). I only had about a dozen games and I'd be lying if I could remember any of them except Sonic and uh... some boxing game. Oh... Golden Axe 2... maybe...

Rhalle

Magister
Genghis%20khan.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfbdWmT2EBU

Never had an SNES, but here's some Genesis games:

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - if you haven't played the PC version
Might and Magic II - if you haven't played the PC version
Warsong - strategy
Shining in the Darkness - decent JRPG Wizardy-like
Shining Force - strategy/RPG
Out of This World - platformer/adventure
Flashback - platformer/adventure
Beyond Oasis - Zelda-like
Aladdin - platformer
Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun - to my knowledge, the only original D&D game ever made. Not bad, either
Earthworm Jim - platformer
Gunstar Heroes - platformer
Master of Monsters - strategy

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess,
Ecco the Dolphin
and
Super Metroid

waywardOne

Arcane
only had ~8 games for my genesis 15 years ago.

shining force 2 in a landslide.

R-Type III is a good Snes game. It's like the original one but with better levels/a choice of three forces instead of the boring standard one/less cheap shit because it's not an arcade game that needs to take your money. Cyclone force is great, it's fun as hell making it dance around the screen blocking shots and ramming things. Makes all those other plane games where you just sit in front of guys holding down shoot look like a joke.

made

Arcane
lololol fucking consoletards

Mega Man series, Castlevania series, that Another World sequel, Landstalker (iso action adventure with stats rpg)

but really since you won't have time to play all of these, go with Shining Force 1+2

Eyeball

Arcane
SNES:
Live A Live - console RPG with a different and interesting combat system, involves controlling seven different characters in different periods of time and settings. Fan translation exists for those who're not fluent in Nipponese.

Shadowrun - better story than Genesis version, less grindy, good atmosphere, makes elves and dwarves non-faggoty.

Clock Tower - survival horror as it should be done. No millions of shotgun shells or hordes of zombies, just a scared little girl running and hiding from a deformed freak with giant garden shears in an abandoned mansion. Fan translation exists.

Earthbound - weird, childish and yet extremely compelling for some reason. One of the best RPGs for the SNES.

Zombies Ate My Neighbours - Fun action game taking the piss on a million campy horror movie cliches - zombies, living blobs of goo, Deep Ones, mummies, giant spiders, evil dolls, hockey-mask wearing lunatics with chainsaws, you name it, it's got it. A fun two-player game too.

lightbane

Arcane
Vectorman 1 and 2 for Genesis.

Metal Max Saga, Treasure of Rudra and Bahamut Lagoon for Snes.

Well if you have a lot of BRO's, there's nothing better than Micro Machines 2 : Turbo Tournament on the Megadrive. Also available on PC but I don't know if it's as good. http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/501/M ... ament.html

For SNES, try Cybernator. I tried to find a good video of it, but these boring people don't skip the cutscenes and instead pass all the enemies. It's a game where you control a giant robot that can shoot in eight directions, has a jetpack/slide booster type thing and a melee attack. Also the terrain takes damage.

Front Mission is a pretty good SNES game if you can stand the tedium of re-equipping 20 mechs every second mission. Bahamut Lagoon is also nice.

Oh and why not try Zero Wing.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
EVO-1.jpg

This bad boy right here. You like evolution? You like RPG elements in your platformers? I bet you do, broski. I bet you love that shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Genesis:

Dune 2
Contra Hard Corps
Mortal Kombat series
TMNT
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Sonic series

Back when arcade games were still good and not 3D popamole bullshit

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Streets of Rage
Final Fight
Doom Troopers
Sunset Riders

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Assuming you're emulating, you should play

Fire Emblem 4 and 5 and Tactics Ogre on SNES

and Langrisser II on Genesis (or Der Langrisser on SNES, but Langrisser II has better difficulty).

(all fan translations)

Also highly recommend Warsong, Shining Force 1 and 2 for Genesis

Good tactical RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom