Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Occasionally Fatal said:
Sounds like you actually want to play the Myst games.
What I was thinking. Maybe I should just play those. I've heard they're hard though, in a "not for beginners" kind of way.

This thread is disappointing. It turns out that Broken Sword is considered a classic among adventure games and that does not bode well for other games in the genre. Regardless I still plan on playing Grim Fandango and Sanitarium at some point but I may have to give most of the others a pass.

Quilty

Magister
If you actually end up liking Myst, then you are definitely a moron. I'm not saying this to insult you. It's just how it is.

Now go forth, dear comrade, and click that motionless screen until it moves a little to the left and then click it again. :salute:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Myst games are tough in a "not for anyone except masochists" kind of way. Lots of shitty puzzles with lots of backtracking, but very little (almost none) of that exploration, story, dialogue, inventory, nonsense that plagued all old adventure games. At least it's been fixed in modern games, in the same way that modern RPG's have gotten rid of those pesky stats, choices, and character generation bits.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
We could tell him to get the Zork series.

WANT SOME RYE :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Maybe we've found the mythical target audience for phantasmagoria?

Or maybe, what was it... Harvester. In all it's gloriously corny gore.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fowyr said:
Legend of Kyrandia 3 was awesome.
:love: Obscure puzzles, multiple solutions galore, 3 completely different endgames, great atmosphere and writing... it's not a beginner's adventure, but it is indeed awesome.

Jaesun said:
3 is the fucking shitty popamole console Broken Sword right?
Most adventure series suffered from the "3=3D" syndrome around this time. Simon The Sorcerer 3 was also a horrible mess, and even Gabriel Knight 3 suffered from the move to 3D. For both Simon and Broken Sword the 4th game supposedly went back to a more regular point and click but I never tried either after the disappointing 3rd games.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
Regardless I still plan on playing Grim Fandango and Sanitarium at some point but I may have to give most of the others a pass.
:facepalm:
I don't think what Grim Fandango great for your first pick. Do you understand what adventure games, much like RPGs, have subgenres? Have you tried to find tactical combat in PST too?
Why you don't tried games from my previous post? Oh, probably you opened mobygames, found them and cursed "cartoonish graphixx"!!!
OK, probably A.M.B.E.R is your cup of tea.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
3 is the fucking shitty popamole console Broken Sword right?
Most adventure series suffered from the "3=3D" syndrome around this time. Simon The Sorcerer 3 was also a horrible mess, and even Gabriel Knight 3 suffered from the move to 3D. For both Simon and Broken Sword the 4th game supposedly went back to a more regular point and click but I never tried either after the disappointing 3rd games.

Ahh OK interesting. I watched that beginning intro of Broken Sword 3, then when I was able to play I basically said "What in the fuck is this shit?". Quit and uninstalled.

I'll just stick to the awesome 1 and 2 which I loved. Probably more so because I LOVE conspiracy stuff.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fowyr said:
Dicksmoker said:
Regardless I still plan on playing Grim Fandango and Sanitarium at some point but I may have to give most of the others a pass.
:facepalm:
I don't think what Grim Fandango great for your first pick. Do you understand what adventure games, much like RPGs, have subgenres? Have you tried to find tactical combat in PST too?
Why you don't tried games from my previous post? Oh, probably you opened mobygames, found them and cursed "cartoonish graphixx"!!!
OK, probably A.M.B.E.R is your cup of tea.
English isn't your first language is it? :lol:

Anyway, I plan on trying Grim Fandango because it gets universally praised, both here and elsewhere, so that at least makes it worth looking in to. That and the premise looks interesting. If I hadn't already had so much trouble getting it to work I probably would have played it already.

As for Sanitarium, any game that gets called the "Planescape: Torment of adventure games" has definitely got my attention.

And also I never said I wouldn't try your games. For the record though, how are the two above in different "sub-genres" than Broken Sword?

Now bros, explain something to me. I seem to be getting the impression that the story is what people like the most, to the point where any significant interruption in the story is actually considered a detraction from the game. Don't you realize that that makes you storyfags? I thought I was a storyfag. Strip away the story and what is left in the game? When you look at bare mechanics, the answer seems to be "not much."

An example: When I first entered the museum I fucked around in it a little. I knew I had to get that tripod, but the guard wouldn't let me do anything. I figured out how to get in the sarcophagus (by waiting until the guard was distracted with the window) but George was like "I'll be here for hours," so I left it alone for the time being. Then later in the story, I go back and it's close to closing time, so I figure to try it again, and this time George waits until nightfall and then gets out. At this point I was thinking, "Cool, now I have the museum all to myself, so I'll finally be able to do some cool environmental interactions in order to get that tripod." What happens instead? A complete forced story section where George simply witnesses the thieves entering and then seeing Nico (magically turned into Catwoman) come swinging through the window and knock them out.

How is that not bad design? They deliberately passed up a chance to allow the player to do some cool problem solving and environmental interaction in order to force their own retarded story on me. If this was a modern game it would have probably been fully cinematic with QTEs and shit.

That's one example, but I think it gives a good general idea of the game. I understand that knowing how to use items in your inventory and in what way alongside interacting with characters is its own kind of puzzle, and that kind predominates in this game, but the ones used here are very basic and not mentally engaging. I'm fine with those as well, as long as they are suitably engaging. In this case they're not. I don't have much of a reference here, but the Codex text adventure at least was much better in that regard. I had fun playing that and I think it was pretty well designed, aside from the forced ironman which pissed me off.

And really, if dialogue is such a big part of the gameplay, is it so wrong to expect it to not be cringeworthy? If you're fine with cartoonish characters, that's fine, but you're being pretty singleminded if you can't see how someone who stopped watching cartoons a long time ago would prefer that the characters not be cartoonish.

And also, how are the abstract puzzles NOT fun? You're putting your critical thinking and logic skills to work (the same ones you use when figuring out which item in your inventory to use). As long as they're challenging enough, I don't see how they can't be engaging.

The other thing is that we obviously have action-adventures now, and so for straight adventures to be considered as opposed to action-adventures they need to offer something that the other genre does not. The obvious answer is that for pure adventures the adventure elements should be more advanced, engaging, sophisticated, etc... In Broken Sword so far that is not the case. So, Codex, you tell me: what can I get from a pure adventure that I can't get in an action-adventure? If your answer is "engaging story," "participation in an epic adventure," "memorable characters," or something like that, then you are officially a storyfag and you need to accept that. Hell, I can be a storyfag too, but for me to consider it above all other elements the story has to be good, with good writing, good characters, and non-retarded characters. In games that is very rare. It's certainly non-existent in Broken Sword.

Alternately a game can have the most retarded story in the world but if the gameplay is engaging enough I won't care. (Also not the case in Broken Sword.)

Now, I intend on finishing this game since I've already gotten halfway through it. Though if it keeps up the way it is I may have to take it in small doses. Still, there's bound to be at least a few more puzzles somewhere along the line (I hope). When I'm done I'll post my final impressions and then try to figure out what other entries in this genre, if any (besides Myst, Sanitarium, and Grim Fandango), that I'll try to play next.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Of course the story isn't so important that it must override the gameplay, that's retarded. For an example of that, see Dreamfall. Broken Sword is not exactly my favourite series either (a bit dumbed down/accessible), but they're by no means bad. If you really want to see what adventure games should be like, check out any of the Monkey Island games (even the remakes are good), the Space Quest series (especially 3 and 6), Discworld 1&2, or even the new Sam & Max series. Or Toonstruck. Toonstruck is brilliant. But seeing as how you're being all edgy about OMG CAARTOONE GRAFIXX R 4 TEH KIDZ, maybe that's not for you since it's about an animator who gets sucked into a cartoon world.

The Myst series is one, constant, 17 million hour slide show interrupted by the occasional pulling of levers and drawing of symbols everywhere, completely at random, trying to figure out wtf they do. Which is ok sometimes I guess. And some teleporting. Basically it's Zork Nemesis with most of the fun taken out and fewer places to go. Interesting universe and lore, sure, but meh.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Then what? "cartoonish characters"?, what does that even mean? They're poorly written? Yes, some of them definitely are in Broken Sword, especially the background characters just sitting there. Nicole and George are pretty well written, mostly.

Point is, don't judge all adventures by this. The ones I mentioned aren't like that, especially Monkey Island. If you just want a puzzle game masquerading as an adventure, that's Myst for ya. No retarded characters there, because there are none. OK maybe like 2 or 3 in the whole series.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
As for Sanitarium, any game that gets called the "Planescape: Torment of adventure games" has definitely got my attention.

You're going to be disappointed. There are much better adventure games, puzzle and even story wise.

This gets props because it's one of the few horror adventures (that doesn't suck too much ass for playing).

Jaesun said:
Ahh OK interesting. I watched that beginning intro of Broken Sword 3, then when I was able to play I basically said "What in the fuck is this shit?". Quit and uninstalled.

I'll just stick to the awesome 1 and 2 which I loved. Probably more so because I LOVE conspiracy stuff.
Oh come on, the third isn't that bad. Yes, QTEs and box puzzles are stupid, but the game still has some charm. Glastonbury was lovely.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
English isn't your first language is it? :lol:
No, my first language was Pascal. :M
Dicksmoker said:
Anyway, I plan on trying Grim Fandango because it gets universally praised, both here and elsewhere, so that at least makes it worth looking in to. That and the premise looks interesting. If I hadn't already had so much trouble getting it to work I probably would have played it already.
You will be disappointed. This is pretty atypical adventure game if you try to compare it to the games from the adventure golden age. They tried to eliminate all interface for example. Also it have prevalence of story over puzzles.

Dicksmoker said:
As for Sanitarium,
SCO pretty nailed it. Still it's a great game.

Dicksmoker said:
And also I never said I wouldn't try your games.
I presumed they was included in "most of the others".

Dicksmoker said:
For the record though, how are the two above in different "sub-genres" than Broken Sword?

Let's see, I'm not your local adventure games expert, but I'll try it.
Expect shitton of inaccuracies and blatant errors.

1) text adventure games aka Interactive Fiction.
Think of the Zork, Lurking Horror, Anchorhead or Spider&Web if you want to play more recent games in this genre.
2) IF+ static picture and probably music
Hound of Shadow, Personal Nightmare, Gateway (currently playing this game) or Eric the Unready (props for Sceptic, it was hilarious)
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1831047
3) text commands + ability to move on the screen
Altered Destiny, Space Quest 2 and so on. Early Sierra games.
4) point and click
Later Sierra games. Kyrandia, Day of the Tentacle...
They was very different from each other, some liked to punish you with death for picking sandwich in the start of game (I look at you, Sierra) or missing hairpin, some tried to save your life even if you jumped in lava.
Some have logical and clear puzzles, some have absolutely zany solutions.
Dig this age, it was great. Then try older games.

5) Age of CD-ROMs full of video and shit. Do not confuse them with talkie versions.
Myst, Phantasmagoria.

6) Hybrids
QfG, Realms of the Haunting, BloodNet, Elviras.

Sadly, I never played Broken Sword, but I always thought it was from less interesting for me period with cutscenes, FMV and shit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Broken Sword is shit. It is the Fallout 3 of adventure games.

edit because it needs to be said: I had no idea there would come a thread where I'd agree with Dicksmoker. Seriously. The end is fucking my thigh.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I suspect Dicksmoker just doesn't like adventures.

That's all right, i don't like shooters either

VTM:B AND DEUS EX ARE NOT SHOOTERS!!!

Coyote

Arcane
I've never actually played Broken Sword. I got it with GOG's promotion, too, but haven't gotten around to it yet, mostly because I played one of the later games in the series (can't remember which) and found it very subpar. But with so many people recommending it, I guess I'll set aside some time this weekend and try it out.

Zarniwoop said:
The Myst series is one, constant, 17 million hour slide show interrupted by the occasional pulling of levers and drawing of symbols everywhere, completely at random, trying to figure out wtf they do. Which is ok sometimes I guess. And some teleporting. Basically it's Zork Nemesis with most of the fun taken out and fewer places to go. Interesting universe and lore, sure, but meh.

Riven (the sequel to Myst) is actually one of my favorite games in a puzzlefag sense, because it has several tough puzzles that require you to consider the environment/culture and what purpose the contraptions within it would serve. There's some trial and error, but if you're trying things "completely at random", you're doing it wrong. Basically, it drops you in a completely foreign world and forces you to try to suss out what you can about it from what you observe around you. One benefit of this approach is that this means that most of the puzzles are sensible within the context of the world and it mostly lacks the illogical bullshit that plagues many crappy (and some otherwise good) adventure games. Also, unlike a lot of other games where there are trial-and-error puzzles, you actually have to think the ones in Riven through, because many of the puzzles have so many permutations that you simply can't get through them by just guessing (the stones you use to reach the Moiety caves, for instance). I also found it to have good atmosphere and like Spellcaster, found the universe of the Myst games quite interesting.

I do agree that it goes overboard on the lever puzzles, though, as does its predecessor (don't remember as much about the later games in the series). And also that Zork Nemesis is great.

Dicksmoker said:
When I'm done I'll post my final impressions and then try to figure out what other entries in this genre, if any (besides Myst, Sanitarium, and Grim Fandango), that I'll try to play next.

There are plenty of people here who can help make recommendations suited to your preferences if you say a bit more about them:

1) You mentioned being something of a storyfag, so would you be interested in adventure games with good stories but fairly weak puzzles if they were less cartoony/more realistic than BS? Would you prefer a game with a good story and average puzzles or an average story and tough but logical puzzles?

2) I mentioned earlier that I played another Broken Sword game, and I personally found the characters lacking in that as well (although that relatively minor among my problems with the game). But I wouldn't say it was because they were just cartoony, so much as because they were cartoony in a very flat, corny way. Basically, I felt that the characters didn't have much going for them personality-wise other than humor, and that the developers had a very different sense of humor than I did. OTOH, I enjoyed some of the more cartoony LucasArts games (Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, the pre-Escape Monkey Island games) as well as some other similar adventures in part because of their humor. So does cartooniness in general turn you off from a game, or do you think you could enjoy it if it was done right?

Getting at the distinctions Fowyr outlined above:

3) Do you have an preferences about the controls/style/presentation of an adventure game? E.g. text parser vs. point-and-click vs. WASD keyboard movement. Are you okay with text-based games, or is there some minimal level of graphics you prefer?

4) In terms of puzzles, would it bother you if you couldn't finish the game because you missed something early on in the game and couldn't go back to get it without starting over?

In the meantime, you might also try looking at this thread, which has a lot of detailed discussion about good adventure games, and this thread, which talks about realistic adventure games that lack wacky elements (unfortunately, it also excludes those with mystical elements, so it's missing a lot of good non-cartoony games).

hanssolo

Educated
I'd definitely not say Broken Sword is one of the best adventure games, play Gabriel Knight I, Space Quest IV, Bladerunner or Sam and Max or something. Shivers/7th Guest/Zork: Nemesis etc. might be more up your blockpushing alley, though. Last Express is great, Starship Titanic is good, too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Speaking of games that fast lose their charm, remember Cruise for a corpse?

I was transfixed by that game when i was a young one. I never completed it (or got far), but thought that the schedules and movement and conversations were awesome, and that it had the glimmer of a good mystery there (i was reading the whole of the Agatha Cristy collection for the first time, was 14 or so).

Years later, i play it and find that the plot is pathetic (starts to go wrong about midway, enters maximum derp at the ending), that the reason i couldn't complete it way back when is that the game has a horrible mechanic that many critical objects just "appear" in places you already searched when the hour passes and some other things i blocked.

The vectorial art animations prior to conversation close ups were awesome though - kinda like a bloodlines precursor now that i think about it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ed123 said:
Dreamfall was great overall, but you can't deny it had some really fucking stupid shit in there.

naw but it's a the good outweighs the bad kindda deal am i not right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom