Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Hills in Fallout 2

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Dunno, yesterday I went to the supermarket to buy milk and veggies, and found out I got better at unarmed combat when I came back home.

Well you do live in Brazil so I guess going to the supermarket is a valid training arena for hand to hand combat.

Black_Willow

Arcane
felipepepe said:
Black_Willow said:
felipepepe said:
Simply looking at ancient ruins should NOT give me experience, that should be obtained by learning where the ruins are, arriving there, going through all the perils and obstacles!
And then you should spend your ability points on gambling. Beacause exploring ruins makes you better at poker.
Well, exploring the Codex didn't make you better at reading...or arguing.
One shouldn't be given exp for fighting creatures of much lower level.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:
Well you do live in Brazil so I guess going to the supermarket is a valid training arena for hand to hand combat.
Well, and you...uh...you...something about potato.
Even more bad somethings about potato!!!

Black_Willow said:
felipepepe said:
Well, exploring the Codex didn't make you better at reading...or arguing.
One shouldn't be given exp for fighting creatures of much lower level.
Ahh....MMO Players and their twisted views about Xp...it all makes so much sense now.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Suchy said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Suchy said:
So now rewarding exploration over combat is a bad thing?
Combat should be rewarded with finding cool loot and interesting enemies, not with XP.
:smug:

Seriously, XP for combat only causes grindfest.
Except that people become stronger and more resistant to damage by winning fights in RL. On the other hand a lot of stuff like gaining 95% probability of eyeshots (or actually learning to use guns by shooting people) is pretty absurd.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
actually learning to use guns by shooting people is pretty absurd.
To a certain degree...after shooting 100 people you surely shoot better than those that never held a gun. It would be fun to have a cap for self-taugh skills, after reaching it the only way to get better is finding someone to teach you. Arcanum did something of the like, IIRC.

JaySn

Educated
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
actually learning to use guns by shooting people is pretty absurd.
To a certain degree...after shooting 100 people you surely shoot better than those that never held a gun..

Then subcomb to lead poisoning, while hacking up black particulate matter.

Think consequences, damnit.

laclongquan

Arcane
You fuckers seem to forget that the area around and under Broken Hills got somethings call an encounter with Remnant of Mutants Army, and lots of mutated very fucking dangerous animals. If you metagame and go straight down BH from Vault City without visit New Reno first, you are liable to to get raped pretty much instantly right there. Those Fed-Ex quests in Broken Hill in someway are to compensate, to rescue those overeager exploration-fools.

Incompetent nitpickers.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
laclongquan said:
You fuckers seem to forget that the area around and under Broken Hills got somethings call an encounter with Remnant of Mutants Army, and lots of mutated very fucking dangerous animals.
That was near NCR, not Broken Hills.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
commie said:
Man, what a discovery. Took you just what, 13 years?

I see why Wyrmlord is so highly regarded as some kind of guru round these parts.

Can't wait for the revelation that dungeons in early Ultimas suck.
Man, I am not seen like any kind of person.

All I did was do as any random person on these boards - just make a random rant about vidyagames.

You wouldn't have interpreted this as some scholarly thesis, if you weren't such an idiot.

Suchy

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Suchy said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Suchy said:
So now rewarding exploration over combat is a bad thing?
Combat should be rewarded with finding cool loot and interesting enemies, not with XP.

Seriously, XP for combat only causes grindfest.
Except that people become stronger and more resistant to damage by winning fights in RL. On the other hand a lot of stuff like gaining 95% probability of eyeshots (or actually learning to use guns by shooting people) is pretty absurd.
But now we're talking about learn-skills-by-using-them system, not XP points. The biggest fault of XP based systems is that you can go kill 200 rats in a basement, then invest gained XP in lockpicking...
If we really want XP based levelling, experience should be gained by completing quests, discovering secret places, etc. - not by riding around on a horse and killing things.
Deus Ex did it right.

In New Reno you upgrade your weapons, though

(I think I discovered the autistic guy who makes upgrades for free on my own, while sneaking around for goodies :love:).

One hander + fast shot + Bonus rate of fire + .44 Magnum + speedloader = ALL ABOOOOOOOOOOARD THE RAPE TRAIN

laclongquan said:
You fuckers seem to forget that the area around and under Broken Hills got somethings call an encounter with Remnant of Mutants Army, and lots of mutated very fucking dangerous animals. If you metagame and go straight down BH from Vault City without visit New Reno first, you are liable to to get raped pretty much instantly right there. Those Fed-Ex quests in Broken Hill in someway are to compensate, to rescue those overeager exploration-fools.

In my day, the rescue feature was called

Load Game

DraQ

Arcane
Black_Willow said:
felipepepe said:
Simply looking at ancient ruins should NOT give me experience, that should be obtained by learning where the ruins are, arriving there, going through all the perils and obstacles!

And then you should spend your ability points on gambling. Beacause exploring ruins makes you better at poker.
Well, that's the general reason why XP-based systems suck.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
One hander + fast shot + Bonus rate of fire + .44 Magnum + speedloader = ALL ABOOOOOOOOOOARD THE RAPE TRAIN
Funny, I go the oposite way: One Hander + Finesse + Bonus rate of fire + .233 Pistol (or Gauss Pistol) = AIM FOR THE EYES BOO!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Hell, enemies were too feeble in Fallout, Super Mutants with 50 HP are ridiculous. Every two-bit thug in Fallout 2 has as much HP. The only thing truly sturdy in Fallout were Deathclaws. Compare with Fallout 2, where Super Mutants are TRULY SUPER, with 150 HP.
All the higher level Super Mutants in Fallout have 140 HP (these are found in the military base and the lower levels of the cathedral). Also fuck your HP bloat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom