Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info BRIIIIAAAAAAANS!

OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse?

Why the fuck does it even have to be serious? It can be ironic or even somewhat corny, yet still have a good deep RPG system. I cannot see what's not be excited about here, I certainly can't remember playing any zombie RPG's lately (Fallout 3 doesn't count of course).

Double Ogre

Scholar
Multidirectional said:
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse?

Why the fuck does it have to be serious?
Reading comprehension failed?
Brian Mitsoda said:
-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.

Silellak

Cipher
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy and corny as hell. With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.

I just don't see a reason to be excited about this.

Since you are clearly incapable of creative thought, do yourself a favor and read World War Z, which is neither combat-heavy nor "corny as hell".

Shannow

Waster of Time
racofer said:
OgreOgre said:
The game is being made by Brian Mitsoda. Capish?
But it's Brain, the organ, not Brian. A before the I.
Troll wins the thread.
You can now ask for a prize of your chosing but chose carefully. I don't give these kind of chances easily.

PS: Rocafre gets the prize for good trolling, OgreOgre doesn't get a prize. Bad trolling shouldn't be encouraged. In case there was any confusion as to which troll I meant.

PPS: Yay, it is the zombie game after all.

Punck_D

Novice
OgreOgre said:

Why not? I've always found the world in Romero's Dawn of the Dead quite interesting and serious. With some adjustments it could also work well in a game.

Carceri

Arcane
Not bad. Zombie flicks are welcome anytime. Let's see how will this turn out.

Edit:
Q. Will the game feature Zombie diplomacy?

I think it is impossible to totally avoid combat in a zombie rpg.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Fat Dragon said:
Darth Roxor said:
zombie based RPG

TBH bleh. The zombie apocalypse theme is so horrendously overused, it's a shame they're going for something like that.
Overused to hell with action games and movies. A hardcore RPG though, is something more unique and interesting for the setting.

This.

Think "FEMA Tycoon... with Zombies!", not "Left 4 Dead".

A game that focuses on the day-to-day existence of (trying) to live throught the collapse of civilization --- food, water, shelter, ammo, electricity, people you can trust --- as opposed to some run-&-gun corridor shooter.

Zombies are just an anology: Could just as well be Super-AIDS, or Bird Flu Ultra, or Meteor Strike... It's civilization coming un-glued, that's the matrix the game will move through.

If it's done right, it could be quite entertaining...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It depends on how the zombies are presented, to be honest. If they're your typical flesh-eaters caused by a cure for AIDS than I agree that it's corny. But there's always the possibility of something more creative and fresh. For instance, perhaps they are caused by alien politics. A group of aliens want to send observers down to our planet, but a rival group sabotages the gene-morphing utility, so that instead of morphing into a human the alien will die horribly. But in the process he will release a harmful parasite into the atmosphere. This parasite is something that all members of this alien species need in order to survive, but when it enters a human things go horribly wrong and they turn into zombies instead. Now we have human civilization decaying, while various alien factions are trying to decide what to do about the situation - whether to try help humanity, suppress the situation, or just nuke the whole planet; all the while also fighting each other, with some battles actuallty happening on earth. The player character and party may or may not have to deal with the following: zombies, remnants of the military, thugs running wild, alien spies/soldiers, animals also infected, and survivors forming myriad different camps/factions. Who knows, maybe the PC will actually be able to recruit an actual alien into the party. Meanwhile, the parasite also carries ancestral memories, which may be the key to everything. Perhaps this parasite also was once strong on earth, causing things that later became myth. Perhaps our species and the alien one once came into contact long ago. Perhaps zombies once existed on earth, but over time gradually transformed into the modern-day image.

Well, it's just a thought.

OgreOgre said:
Reading comprehension failed?
Brian Mitsoda said:
-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster.

No, not failed, unless you are talking about yourself. You said "serious RPG", not "Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster".
However, since you mentioned this, there can be serious examination of a national crisis, or to be more precise, examination of society under crisis even though the reasons for that crisis are not that serious. Shit, there could be elephants falling from the sky, it would still make for one helluva serious national crisis.

MapMan

Arcane
Great news. If Brian will keep the promise and stick to the few points he made then this might be a very interesting game. I wonder how big commercial success a game like this can have. It definately doesn't sound like a mainstream game. Oh well, everything that has zombies in it is considered "AWESUM" by a mainstream gamer.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
New bit of info from Brian at Iron Tower:

As a matter of fact, food is important. It's somewhat like a form of currency. It's one of several important resources in our game. The player will never have to worry about feeding themselves in the normal mode of the game, though it will be a factor in the survivor mode (the hardcore/iron man mode). If the player has allies, they will need to eat or conflicts may arise.
Ironman mode, fuck yeah.

Quilty

Magister
I am willing to let my firstborn be savagely doubleteamed by KC and Andhaira if they actually make this.

Please, do not disappoint, it sounds...beautiful. :tear:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Darth Roxor said:
zombie based RPG

TBH bleh. The zombie apocalypse theme is so horrendously overused, it's a shame they're going for something like that.

But concept aside, I'll still be looking to it with anticipation.
When Brian first told me that it's going to be a zombie game, I was disappointed, to be completely honest. When I thought Brian Mitsoda, I thought "complex characters and dialogues", not shooting at zombies. When I finished reading the design doc, which is so good and detailed, you can practically see the game, I thought "I want to play it. Now!". Nick and Oscar had the same reaction.

Can't say more for obvious reasons.

mathboy

Liturgist
Important info from Annie:
No Deathclaws ;) No vampires or werewolves either. Or even chupacabras.

Juuuuuuuuust zombies. A lot. A LOT. OF ZOMBIES.

Which is really sort of what happens when you get the genre going. They're like chips. Can't have just one.
Maybe worth creating a new newspost about?

MetalCraze

Arcane
OgreOgre said:

I'd rather wanted to see a tongue-in-cheek zombie apocalypse game for once.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy...
It's not a shooter.

With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.
Assuredly?

Double Ogre

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy...
It's not a shooter.
Does a game have to be a shooter to be combat-heavy?

Vault Dweller said:
With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.
Assuredly?
What kind of complex dialogs can you expect in a zombie game? No, really, I'd like to know what you think.

MisterStone

Arcane
Just keep Annie away from the game mechanics, so she doesn't give it JRPG cooties.

:rpgcodex: :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom