Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo talks to Rock Paper Shotgun about the Wasteland 2 beta

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Surprised there weren't any questions/demands about female presentation.

Anyways, for a Beta test, everything sounds pretty much right to me.

ColCol

Arcane
Is this the Really Pretty Graphics 'dex or Role Playing Game 'dex because the lines between the two are getting blurrier each day.

Is font style that important? Blur can be turned off (thank god) and I presume other "post-processing" effects can be turned off and I'll bet that this game is better looking in motion rather than screenshots. As far as 3D games go that is. 2D is still be superior. :D

Yeah, but this is rpgcodex, we love complaining more than anything.

Disgruntled

Savant
It was meant to look like late 90-ties games; Iso perspective + 2D feel...
Carry on newfag. :hero:

So it was meant to look like shit for the sake of it?

Since Expeditions was mentioned, lets take a look at some superior visuals made on a lower budget.
683022_20130412_screen006.jpg

Keeping in mind, the game also delivered a fairly solid combat system and C&C.
If W2 blows us out of the water on the final product, Ill ignore the murky resolutions. Until then, all i can judge on is that demo video they showed off not long ago.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"Barely survived"? I don't think inXile has ever edged close to being shut down in the same way that Obsidian was back in 2011. They did have to lay off everybody after Hunted but that was considered par for the course.

Uhm, what?

1. You probably mean 2012.

2. Even with the layoffs Obsidian could still support more people than InXile ever had employed. 90+ vs 60+ (I think was Hunted's peak. Might be misremembering)

The trolls gettin' to you Infinitron?

tsabu

Novice

Since Expeditions was mentioned, lets take a look at some superior visuals made on a lower budget.

I don't think comparison of screen shots with background full of trees, grass, ruins etc. have much sense. Peoples are bitching mostly about typical desert like scenery in wasteland2. Interiors and more green zones looks just fine. Check the very first video with agricultural center.

Its harder to make interesting graphic in typical wasteland\desert scenery. Color palette needs to be very limited, and there's not much details that you can add without ruining the whole atmosphere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whatever.

2. Even with the layoffs Obsidian could still support more people than InXile ever had employed. 90+ vs 60+ (I think was Hunted's peak. Might be misremembering)

It's not about the number of people. It's about the future of the company (at least in its recognized form) being in doubt.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Whatever.

It's not about the number of people. It's about the future of the company (at least in its recognized form) being in doubt.

Even then it wasn't for Obsidian. What hurt them was the people/friends they had to let go. Not that their very existence was in danger. (They still had other things working on)

I'm sure InXile has been in similiar situations. The situation (and afterwards the whole bonus thing) was blown out of proportion. Which I'm addmitingly at fault myself in retrospect.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I don't think comparison of screen shots with background full of trees, grass, ruins etc. have much sense. Peoples are bitching mostly about typical desert like scenery in wasteland2. Interiors and more green zones looks just fine. Check the very first video with agricultural center.

Its harder to make interesting graphic in typical wasteland\desert scenery. Color palette needs to be very limited, and there's not much details that you can add without ruining the whole atmosphere.
It's about how blurry and grainy it is, it's also evident on that indoors pic

FeelTheRads

Arcane

lol no

Expeditions looks fake and boring. Everything seems to be made of plastic. Textures suck, shadows suck, colors suck.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LLOLLOLLOLL WHERE IS SKYWAYS COMPLAINING ABOT THE GRAPHICS LOOLLOLLOOL

LOLLOLOL LETS GET OUR POPAMOLE ON LOOLLOLOO

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Betas are supposed to be feature complete ^_^

Smedstad: possibly right

BTW here's another prediction: Larian's Divinity: Original Sin beta will be feature complete. It kinda has to be considering they're releasing it in early January and they have to have the gold master out by late Jan-early Feb. Larian, more competent than inXile. Amazing.
Why is that so amazing? Larian have been making PC RPGs (well, and a RTS/TB strategy dragon action game) on their own tech since 1998. Conversely, the bulk of inXile's previous experience is phone games and console popamole.

How is that surprising? Larian has survived as a mid-tier developer for over a decade, verging into AAA territory at times, without giving up their independence. inXile barely survived with mobile/shovelware, and only is back as a developer worth mentioning because of Kickstarter nostalgia pity.
Well yeah. I wrote the above reply before continuing to read the thread. That was stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Betas are supposed to be feature complete ^_^

Smedstad: possibly right

BTW here's another prediction: Larian's Divinity: Original Sin beta will be feature complete. It kinda has to be considering they're releasing it in early January and they have to have the gold master out by late Jan-early Feb. Larian, more competent than inXile. Amazing.
Why is that so amazing? Larian have been making PC RPGs (well, and a RTS/TB strategy dragon action game) on their own tech since 1998. Conversely, the bulk of inXile's previous experience is phone games and console popamole.

How is that surprising? Larian has survived as a mid-tier developer for over a decade, verging into AAA territory at times, without giving up their independence. inXile barely survived with mobile/shovelware, and only is back as a developer worth mentioning because of Kickstarter nostalgia pity.
Well yeah. I wrote the above reply before continuing to read the thread. That was stupid.

FYI we've learned a few new things about D:OS since this was posted: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ta-now-open-to-all-kickstarter-backers.88136/

Zeriel

Arcane
Delaying games doesn't make them flawed. Kind of the opposite inference, actually. I have more faith in Larian because they are much less tied to Kickstarter funding (and hence on a clock).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Larian would have been forced to release already sans kickstarter, I think they're on just as a tight of a budget as anyone.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, but neither did they start developing the moment they got a check from Kickstarter. Pretty major difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom