Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo talks about inXile's plans for Van Buren at Eurogamer

Latro

Arcane
does romance exist in a post-humanity setting? probably not

HIRE ME AVELLONE

Latro

Arcane
So what if Brian wants to do a fallout game, and is thinking of approaching Bethesda and doing a turn-based fallout game. Perhaps using VB as a guideline?
depends on how offended bethesda/zenimax is/was by obsidian complaining about them getting screwed over. I don't think they'd actually care, it'd probably come down to contractual agreements (I'm assuming obsidian will refuse to get fucked this time)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So what if Brian wants to do a fallout game, and is thinking of approaching Bethesda and doing a turn-based fallout game. Perhaps using VB as a guideline?
Wasn't VB about Caesar's Legion? Todd would insist it happen after the events of New Vegas!

Also Hunted was awful. Uninstalled after about three hours.

valcik

Arcane
Sounds good, except that inXile can't make proper hexagon based grid, using Shadowrun-like colourful squares instead. Compromises and simplifications everywhere!

:rpgcodex:

Zeronet

Learned
depends on how offended bethesda/zenimax is/was by obsidian complaining about them getting screwed over. I don't think they'd actually care, it'd probably come down to contractual agreements (I'm assuming obsidian will refuse to get fucked this time)

Did Obsidian themselves ever complain? I thought it was mostly gaming media and Obsidian were like 'yeah, it was disappointing not to get the money'. Brian made the point that QA was Zenimax/Bethesda.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did Obsidian themselves ever complain? I thought it was mostly gaming media and Obsidian were like 'yeah, it was disappointing not to get the money'. Brian made the point that QA was Zenimax/Bethesda.
Obsidian doesn't complain about people they hope will give them future contracts.

naossano

Cipher
Nobody except Tim Cain himself can make proper Fallout game.
Even he would say you're giving him too much credit.

A lot of the things a lot of people don't like in Fallout 2 were Tim Cain's ideas.

There is a difference between an idea and its execution.
The Enclave itself and the vault experiments aren't bad ideas. What is an issue is that they rushed the endgame because they split the team into areas, without a strong leadership for the main road.

Another idea that wasn't bad on paper but awfull in execution was Harold fate... But sadly, it wasn't because of rushed ending...

valcik

Arcane
Yes, first Fallout was a pretty good game in comparison to others published back in 1997. Too bad they've lost GURPS license, that was serious hit under the belt! Heck, even that simple invetory system was much better than this modern MS Excel-like bethesdian abomination optimised for gamepad. Great interactivity with objects and characters, aesthetically perfect and visually original, to the last detail polished game. Made from scratch, including engine, mind you! Sure it cannot compete with some nerdy stuff like JA2, great game anyway.
And Arcanum? Now that's some serious craftsmanship in terms of deep and complex mechanics. Made from scratch, including engine, once again.

edit: inb4 grognard tag get plastered over me

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Also couldn't he simply hire someone who's last name is Van Buren? Afaik no one can trademark your last name.

imweasel

I'd put my bet in some kind of spin-off for Wasteland's universe.
A Fallout clone set in the Wasteland universe sounds quite likely to me. Wasteland 2 is a good game, but i'm sure Brian knows by now that what everybody truly wants is a Fallout 1 clone.

I'm not really sure what he wants to do with the Van Buren trademark though.

Dehumanizer

Educated
One of the eye-catching ideas Black Isle had for Van Buren was that the player would run into other players in the game world. You'd have a series of rivals that weren't necessarily enemies - more parties you would compete against, with different goals. They weren't necessarily evil, but they would have a different agenda. You would run into conflict with them over the course of the game.

Now where have I seen that before?

Wizardry7Box.jpg

hexer

what's up with that classy fan-made Van Buren remake? Is it still alive?

I am much more excited about Hexer's upcoming project. (more than any upcoming commercial game)

Hi bros! The news reached me today so I'm here to clarify. The work on fan-made Van Buren hasn't stopped but it slowed down. I am totally focused on my private business and it's going pretty good. Things are getting better every day. Plus I'm still at my old work so I have almost no free time. The idea behind the private business is that I earn money and return with it to Van Buren. What we were doing before is pure fan love for the game and it would be a waste to leave it unfinished. I would be happy if Chris manages to make Van Buren a reality :D

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
what's up with that classy fan-made Van Buren remake? Is it still alive?

I am much more excited about Hexer's upcoming project. (more than any upcoming commercial game)

Hi bros! The news reached me today so I'm here to clarify. The work on fan-made Van Buren hasn't stopped but it slowed down. I am totally focused on my private business and it's going pretty good. Things are getting better every day. Plus I'm still at my old work so I have almost no free time. The idea behind the private business is that I earn money and return with it to Van Buren. What we were doing before is pure fan love for the game and it would be a waste to leave it unfinished. I would be happy if Chris manages to make Van Buren a reality :D
:yeah:
I love you man!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom