Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo on his new game

Mattresses said:
what the fuck is this shit, where's my wasteland sequel?

Calm down, dude. Don't let your dick fall off.

WASTELAND2POSTER.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I agree with him about the combat thingie. Even "story-based" cRPGs have ridiculous amount of combat.
cRPGs simply seem to be unable to exist without tons of gratuitous combat.
It's absurd to put in so much combat into games without making sure that the combat is great.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I agree with him about the combat thingie. Even "story-based" cRPGs have ridiculous amount of combat.
cRPGs simply seem to be unable to exist without tons of gratuitous combat.
It's absurd to put in so much combat into games without making sure that the combat is great.
Yeah, if people are going to use examples of Torment as a game that emphasised story over all else, one can easily remind them that Torment had a lot of combat.

It even allowed frequent rechanging of class, so that you can become a fighter again when it's an area which needs you to bash through, a thief when you wanted to be sneaky and do sneak attacks, and even quickly shift to mage, when you wanted to use a huge devastating spell on a large number of easy enemies.

A hint of powergamey combat focus detected.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Darth Roxor said:
janjetina said:
A computer game that doesn't have a story to tell is worthless

Thanks, I never realised that Civilization is a series of worthless games!

Your LPs of Dave Gilbert's games have earned you a non-flaming response. First, read what Awor Szurkrarz wrote in response. Then read the first sentence from my post the quote is from. Then read the example I made in the same post. Then read what you wrote and think about whether it makes any sense at all, considering my post as a whole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom