Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo Interview and Career Retrospective at Polygon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might & Magic X did not stay in Steam's Top 10 for "weeks", but it's Early Access was there for 10 days or so.

Okay, I stand corrected. I thought it stayed there longer for some reason.

That still represents a lot of sales, though. The good performance of the generally poorly marketed Might & Magic X and Blackguards (which even came out within a day of each other and cannibalized each other's sales) means very good things for the sales of these hyped up Kickstarter RPGs.

Which is interesting because I can't see where inXile will go after WL2/Torment

They're probably starting to think about that now.

Rake

Arcane
Dunno about other websites, but there's a good chance RPS will hate on PoE because of bugs and difficulty. :M They cannot into challenging RPGs, and their latest interview with Feargus vehemently accused Obsidian of their games being buggy.
That applies only if PoE has many bugs. RPS's interview received much negative backlash in their comments, and SP:SOT reviews in RPS and Kotaku did the same. I don't think they will try the same a second time unless their complains have solid ground.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
And yet "knowing your way around gaming journalists" tends to produce "positive reviews" more often than not. For example, RPS already loves WL2, as you noted. It's unlikely that they will change their mind when the game is released and it's a very influential site.

What if their PoE review is positive, too, even if a bit less positive? In that case RTwP might still prevail against TB as far as their readers' preference is concerned.

A lot will also depend on IGN, Gamespot etc. RPS is not even the biggest website. And we can't really predict how either game will review there. RPS's review of The Stick of Truth was whiny and negative, but IGN and Gamespot did give the game some very high scores if I'm not mistaken, and so did many other major websites. Obs' reputation is actually fairly good at the moment.
Keep in mind that The Stick of Truth is a SP game. Fargo is in a stronger position with a WL license and a fake Torment "license" glued to the Numenera license and Monte Cook's name. Obsidian is boldly going with their own IP which is always a risky move.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't care less which sells more as I want them both to be enormously successful and outsell everyone's expectations. I want this KS revolution to be successful as it is the only way I believe I'll get the games I actually want/ look forward to playing!*

*By this reasoning I'm not limiting games that only come from KS but it's success has made "old school" gaming cool again and led to things such as MMX, Underrail, etc.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Which is interesting because I can't see where inXile will go after WL2/Torment, whereas I have a pretty good idea about Obsidian.
I'll be very surprised if Fargo doesn't do WL3 after Torment. Business-wise, it's the best move.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which is interesting because I can't see where inXile will go after WL2/Torment, whereas I have a pretty good idea about Obsidian.
I'll be very surprised if Fargo doesn't do WL3 after Torment. Business-wise, it's the best move.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that they don't want to just sell, but also to Kickstart. If they can find a new oldschool franchise to revive, that'll be easier to Kickstart than a sequel.

I believe Obsidian holds to the view that sequels should be self-funded and Kickstarter should be used for new IPs, and I see the logic in that.

Xeon

Augur
Wouldn't be better cost wise to use the tools and assets they developed for W2 and and improve it or something and make more assets with the added funds? Kind like how BGII and IWDX use the BG1's assets or something and make a bigger game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would really like to see a single character (with automated followers) TB game in a post-apoc setting. Like a true Fallout spiritual successor, balanced around your one character. Maybe they could do something like that for WL3. I would not back a WL3 if it was a direct successor to WL2. But maybe they're not looking to crowdfund their next game (although I'd be surprised if they didn't).

Athelas

Arcane
Why would you want single-character turn-based combat (one of Fallout's biggest flaws)?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I thought I read somewhere that Fargo was interested in The Bard's Tale?

Vault Dweller

Developer

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that they don't want to just sell, but also to Kickstart. If they can find a new oldschool franchise to revive, that'll be easier to Kickstart than a sequel.
Of course, but at the same time I don't think that Fargo will fail to capitalize on the revived licenses (if WL2 does well, which it will, WL3: Bigger & Better will be a guaranteed success). Besides, KS isn't just about crowd-sourcing. It's also a proven publicity vehicle and when Fargo Kickstart the next project all media will be watching and reporting. Not to mention that he can easily launch two KS as he's done in the past.

Rake

Arcane
I agree W3 make the most sense. It capitalizes in W2 success (if it's good), creates a strong linsence (which wasteland isn't at this point).
My quess is it will go W2 - Torment 2 - W3 - NEW IP - W4 - Torment 3 etc. or something along this line.
Fargo said that he will kickstart all his future games, so i don't see how a sequel or new IP plays a role.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why would you want single-character turn-based combat (one of Fallout's biggest flaws)?
I think the opposite - it's the game's biggest strength. It's for the same reason I'm excited about AoD. Avatar-centric gameplay where everything is measured against "yourself." Especially in a post-apoc setting. I want to be like, the road warrior, man.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'd be considerably more excited about a proper new Bard's Tale game than I am about W2 or Torment.

Unfortunately, a blobber would probably be too niche for InXile (unless they could get the Wizardry trademark somehow, which is impossible; that's the only "big" blobber trademark I can think of).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I'd be considerably more excited about a proper new Bard's Tale game than I am about W2 or Torment.
Same here. Legend of Grimrock and MMX:L are clear indicators (to me, at least) that there is a desire for those games. I would fund a BT game in a fucking second. I really hope he does it.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Single-character turn-based combat has the advantage that it resolves much quickly than when using a party. Realms of Arcania were known for length battles even for trivial encounters, which is why they added the quick combat option.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I think the opposite - it's the game's biggest strength. It's for the same reason I'm excited about AoD. Avatar-centric gameplay where everything is measured against "yourself." Especially in a post-apoc setting. I want to be like, the road warrior, man.

So broken gameplay fits post- apocalyptical setting. Is that because it reflects the game world full of broken items, dysfunctional stuff, things that gone wrong? I have even better idea. Play game that randomly crashes every five minutes, sometimes corrupting save files, occasionally hanging up entire system. On a rusty PC. In a place where power outage is common issue. That will certainly make your post- apoc experience even more intense. Like road warrior, man. Everything measured against "yourself".

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

So broken gameplay fits post- apocalyptical setting. Is that because it reflects the game world full of broken items, dysfunctional stuff, things that gone wrong? I have even better idea. Play game that randomly crashes every five minutes, sometimes corrupting save files, occasionally hanging up entire system. On a rusty PC. In a place where power outage is common issue. That will certainly make your post- apoc experience even more intense. Like road warrior, man. Everything measured against "yourself".
It's not broken gameplay.
If anything, being able to design a team of characters who are able to circumvent every single obstacle - that's broken, and completely defeats the purpose of paths and alternative solutions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You're assuming that the only purpose of alternate solutions in an RPG is to provide reasons to replay (because your character can't try them all in the same playthrough). That assumption is not necessarily true

Declinator

Arbiter
So broken gameplay fits post- apocalyptical setting. Is that because it reflects the game world full of broken items, dysfunctional stuff, things that gone wrong? I have even better idea. Play game that randomly crashes every five minutes, sometimes corrupting save files, occasionally hanging up entire system.

Are you suggesting that he should play New Vegas?

Copper

Savant
There is a lot of stupid shit in this thread. Infinitron I have no idea why you are mixing the mostly reasonable things you say and good observations with some pointless VAULT DWELLER IS PARANOID & BIASED shit which is, well, rather paranoid and biased. Get over it.

The marketing work being done & its 'effects' are pretty hard to quantify without (and sometimes even with) access to funded research and other resources the firms themselves will have. If you start talking about which game is 'more popular' or which games have 'more fans' or 'more interest', nobody's going to have conclusive proof unless there's a very clear difference between the two games in question. The only thing we can reasonably talk about is whether Fargo's style and practices can be judged as more 'canny' than Urquhart or Sawyer in the media. And that also depends on what you imagine about the gaming audience (or 'know', if you have access to well conducted research).

:bro:

AngryKobold

Arcane

It's not broken gameplay.
If anything, being able to design a team of characters who are able to circumvent every single obstacle - that's broken, and completely defeats the purpose of paths and alternative solutions.

For unknown reason I assumed it's about certain specific combat system built around similar concept, present in both Fallout and AoD. This one where you lose, because AI controlling team members is dumber than dishwasher program. In my defense, the beer was good.

Team design, outside combat? Inability to form the party and to use its skills is not broken. It's just terribly inefficient.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You're assuming that the only purpose of alternate solutions in an RPG is to provide reasons to replay (because your character can't try them all in the same playthrough). That assumption is not necessarily true
No, I do not assume that's the only purpose.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Excuse me if I sound like an asshole, but all this talk of the history of Black Isle / Trokia / Interplay / etc. is fucking annoying and depressing because it reminds me of how Fallout 3 was made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom