Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo confirms a Wasteland successor

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
aries202 said:
As for the Wasteland game, I would like to see a plot around the climate disaster or maybe a plot revolve around big corparations taking over the world or something ike that.

LoL, I'm just waiting for KC to show up, he will love that :lol:

Mr Happy

Scholar
Ausir said:
By the way, since Wasteland was made in the 80s, it had a very 80s style (especially in character portraits), so it would be great if they made the sequel to actually be 80s retro-future, just like Fallout is 50s retro-future. I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers, Back to the Future 2-like stuff and Queen's "Hammer to Fall" as the theme song.

:escape from new york:

Tinkies

Novice
How would they do that, exactly? Beth owns the Fallout IP, not Wasteland. They couldn't do anything.

Rei

Novice
This will be an exciting year indeed for 'Rapist of the year.'

Section8

Cipher
"Hei$t", eh? If the GTA games didn't comprehensively cover so very many different gameplay facets, there might be a reason to imitate them with a change of focus. But really all you can hope for from these clones is an alternate story and setting with nothing more elaborate than GTA's core driving and shooting.

Well, at least Wasteland 2 isn't the "next gen action adventure" in question.

Ausir said:
I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers, Back to the Future 2-like stuff and Queen's "Hammer to Fall" as the theme song.

That would make a really cool synopsis for a post-apoc game, but it sounds too risky for any of the bigger devs. I'm suprised as it is, that BioShock is receiving so much good press, given that it's pretty far "out there."

Every generation has their own interpretation of what the apocalypse will look like, and my favorite thus far is the 80's visualization. Unfortunately, anarchist punks have since been replaced by gang banging thugs as the epitome of rebellion.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Tinkies said:
How would they do that, exactly? Beth owns the Fallout IP, not Wasteland. They couldn't do anything.

The nature of the IP doesn't have anything to do with it. They can get Interplay to void the license agreement for Wasteland, I can't imagine a contract(Licensing agreement or otherwise) without a pussying-out clause.
FYI Bethsoft fucked over Fallout PnP by claiming the product would hurt their bottom line.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Vault Dweller said:
It would be reasonable to see the game's announcement soon. Of course, the fact that the unannounced game is a "Next gen action adventure game" doesn't inspire much confidence,

I suggest the title "Wasteland 2: Desert Ranger Action Force"

He said the game is supposed to be "darker" than Wasteland.. I guess he means black people, so the actual title will probably be something like "Wasteland 2: Straight Outta Savage Village" (and 50 Cent will voice the desert pimp!).

spacemoose

Erudite
I'm thinking the next gen action adventure is some other title, and the wasteland sequel is just an idea not even in preproduction yet

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Spacemoose said:
I'm thinking the next gen action adventure is some other title, and the wasteland sequel is just an idea not even in preproduction yet
i hope so too, but then i remember some burly men singing about the nuckelavee and anuses.

also, i vaguely recall some interview(s) before the bards tale disaster, which made rather clear that fargo thinks actiun to be the new holy grail, blabbering something about how bards tale would have to be "translated" for the modern next gen gamer, and so forth.
no reason to believe it would be any different with wasteland.

jfreund

Novice
Regarding any chance of Bethesda interfering with the Wasteland IP:

Interplay did/does not have any ownership of Wasteland. Interplay developed it for EA and EA owned it, which is why we got Fallout when Interplay could not make a sequel to Wasteland.

EA apparently let the trademark lapse and it was picked up by whoever makes Yu-Gi-Oh for some unknown reason. Fargo acquired it from the Yu-Gi-Oh people.

Bethesda has no control over the Wasteland property, even indirectly by putting pressure on Interplay.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
I just realised that I actually wasn't 16 when Wasteland was released, but only 15 years old.

So, knowing this, I feel thrilled, the world is full of opportunities and possibilities and I have a hard-on.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I really and truly hope that this will be a REAL RPG in the Wasteland style complete with TB combat and all.

I'm also hoping that The Bard's Tale was merely done to a) garner some cash, and b) get some relatively cheap publicity(it was supposedly humorous, right?). To follow onto this I hope that their later action-adventure games were just a continuation of low-risk cash gathering for bigger and better projects, e.g. Wasteland RPG. It'd be hilarious if they released Wasteland II which turned out to be a real RPG at the same time that Bethesda released their latest FPS called Fallout 3.

IIRC the original Wasteland was one of the toughest RPGs that I had played up to that point, although since I was fairly young and the game didn't exactly have alot of direction I may be mistaken. I never played it again after slogging through it the first time, and I never played the other sort of sequels from EA. (Fountain of Dreams, and something else IIRC. Neither were supposed to have been very good compared to Wasteland...)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy

Krafter

Scholar
cutterjohn said:
I really and truly hope that this will be a REAL RPG in the Wasteland style complete with TB combat and all.
Ha ha, awesome. While we're all dreaming, I'd like super powers and to be dictator of my own empire, too. :cry:

It's going to be Wasteland 2 : Imitation Fable and Oblivion invisible War. They probably won't even have a PC version.

EliotW

Educated
The unnamed action game listed on InExiles site could be their bank robbing title Heist. It appears they haven't updated the place in sometime and theres no specific mention of the title which was revealed some months ago.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Krafter said:
It's going to be Wasteland 2 : Imitation Fable and Oblivion invisible War. They probably won't even have a PC version.
We have no information about the game yet and such statements are nothing but stupid.

And if unannounced inX project were actually Wasteland 2 they should have mentioned "rpg" somewhere.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ander Vinz said:
Krafter said:
We have no information about the game yet and such statements are nothing but stupid.

And if unannounced inX project were actually Wasteland 2 they should have mentioned "rpg" somewhere.

No, these statements are not stupid. *You* are naive and gullible to believe that it will be an actual CRPG. The last game was some hack-n-slasher for consoles that is now forgotten by everybody, left on the shelf near Fable. When their announcement(even if it isnt for Wasteland) has the phrase "next gen" in it, do you think you can put faith in to such a company?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom