Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brian Fargo announces Bard's Tale IV at PAX South

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I actually really enjoyed Wasteland 2 (9/10 in my book) but I'm not even slightly excited about this new project. I mean even it's not like there is a shortage of blobbers both on the market and in my backlog.

Turjan

Arcane
Hearthstone got quite a few Game of the Year awards, so it makes sense using it for comparison. Then again, the sentence that "The Bard's Tale 4 will attempt to modernize and revitalize the genre - sort of like how Hearthstone approached the card game" is a bit worrying. I hope it does not mean "The Bard's Tale 4 will attempt to modernize and revitalize the genre - sort of like the new Dungeon Keeper approached the RTS game."

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
In all honesty why even review the game Blaine, it will just say "this shit aint Fallout bitches" since that you have made abundantly clear that is the game's biggest flaw. Maybe if your agenda of Calling the game shit wasnt so obvious you could understand why a rereview of the "director's cut" would be interesting for everybody, since it would be a chance for you to evaluate not only the original game's flaws but what was ultimately done about them

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
One hopes that it's all marketing-speak, and that he doesn't truly believe Hearthstone is complex.

It's also a bit strange in how he describes it as having "revitalized" card games, given that MtG has been constantly growing for the past ~10 years, and still has a higher active player count, as far as I'm aware. If anything, card games were doing great, and Blizzard decided to cash-in on the trend, as they tend to do.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Please do. VD has long since sold out to the man, his reviews read like lessons from a handbook for marketing reps.
Totally.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=224

The truth that everything is shit.
Amen, brother.

Sure, it's not political... except you've made it a point to note that it'll be swept behind the "official" review...
Who cares? If you have a strong opinion on the game, go ahead and write a review.

Dorateen

Arcane
Faro used broadcast TV stations to illustrate his point

You mean "Fargo used broadcast TV stations to illustrate his point".

I love Bran Faro! He made my favourite game, Waste Lad.

Trash_heap.jpg

Waste Lad's got nothing on Daredevil Donut Lad.

set

Cipher
Jagged Alliance 2 was named dropped as inspiration while WL2 was being pitched, Deus Ex is named dropped all the time, and vtmb sold so poorly no one wants to bring it up.

Name dropped is maybe the wrong way to describe what I was trying to say. I have never seen a developer go into detail about the mechancis that made these games good. They dorp names, but then they never show how those names matter.

On the other hand, we all know that Hearthstone is a P2W (I guess all card games are though) super casual card game that was only successful because of its WoW branding. You could read Brian Fargo's statement as, "We'll casualize Bard's Tale so it has mass appeal" and it wouldn't be a wrong intepretation. The reason I can say this is because Hearthstone is a really flat game - there's not much to be mistaken about. Saying that your game, however, will emulate Jagged Alliance 2 would take some explanation, as there are so many mechancis in that game that haven't been seen again since it was released - there are a lot of moving parts and pieces you just can't all promise to deliver. Hearthstone, on the other hand, is unequivocally straight forward.

hiver

Sure, it's not political... except you've made it a point to note that it'll be swept behind the "official" review, and there was never any doubt that my preview of UnderRail would be posted, was there? If it had been incoherent or a mess, I'm sure it would have been rejected, but that already went without saying. You both know I'm perfectly capable of writing a proper, comprehensive review that meets or exceeds technical expectations, and there's no legitimate reason to expect anything drastically different this time, so stop waffling about how you can't REALLY know until you read it.

You are taking it a bit too far, making accusations while they just told you they will take it... although i understand such presumptions.

As far as the "official" review is concerned it doesnt really matter. Its the quality of each review that really matters and who cares for dimwits who care whether its called official or not.
If the "politics" have any influence then it will work in your favor since they will publish your review to show how impartial they are... right?

Stop arguing about it and just do it.

Athelas

Arcane
You know you've gone completely batshit when hiver is the one talking sense into you.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Didn't Wasteland make like a lot of money. Why are they using kickstarter again?
Also if it's gonna be in 2d and turn based I might be interested.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Didn't Wasteland make like a lot of money. Why are they using kickstarter again?

Because it didn't make the 7-10 million dollars in profit that a project of this magnitude would likely cost.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
When will this official rebalance patch will even be released? And will anyone even bother replaying WL2 because of it?

GloomFrost

Arcane

Because it didn't make the 7-10 million dollars in profit that a project of this magnitude would likely cost.
I might be mistaken but I m pretty sure Fargo said that if they sell like 500000 copies then they will be able to make crpgs for years or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I might be mistaken but I m pretty sure Fargo said that if they sell like 500000 copies then they will be able to make crpgs for years or something.

I believe the exact quote was a reference to the latest Tomb Raider game, which sold millions of copies but was considered a commercial failure by Square Enix. Brian said that if he sold that much, he'd be set up until the end of his career.

Yep: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-24-brian-fargo-backers-say-just-get-it-right

But Fargo is philosophical. "It's not like the publishers are worried too much by this; our numbers are not too interesting to them," Fargo noted. "I read the other day that Tomb Raider sold [over three] million copies and they're disappointed. If we sold 2 million copies, that means I build new roleplaying games for the next two decades, guaranteed. That's what that would mean to us."

GloomFrost

Arcane

I believe the exact quote was a reference to the latest Tomb Raider game, which sold millions of copies but was considered a commercial failure by Square Enix. Brian said that if he sold that much, he'd be set up until the end of his career.

Yep: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-24-brian-fargo-backers-say-just-get-it-right

But Fargo is philosophical. "It's not like the publishers are worried too much by this; our numbers are not too interesting to them," Fargo noted. "I read the other day that Tomb Raider sold [over three] million copies and they're disappointed. If we sold 2 million copies, that means I build new roleplaying games for the next two decades, guaranteed. That's what that would mean to us."
Oh I see. Thanx.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, does nobody have an issue that Fargo's *tv station to aspire to* is Showtime?

Can we expect InXile games to get worse and jump the shark in the future?

Are we going to get a Weeds and Dexter kind of situation here?

hiver

Just the thought of having to go through all those demo, lockpick and safe checks again leaves me nauseated, or maybe it's the meds.
Since there is nothing but crap in all those lockers you dont really need to do those, or all of them.

so you can just skip most of those and enjoy the awesome gameplay, reactivity and C&C

:lol:

Athelas

Arcane
So, does nobody have an issue that Fargo's *tv station to aspire to* is Showtime?

Can we expect InXile games to get worse and jump the shark in the future?

Are we going to get a Weeds and Dexter kind of situation here?
Yeah, I found that comment pretty funny, since I pretty much consider Showtime to be the poor man's HBO (setting aside the fact that both are subscription-based channels, thus ruining that analogy) and none of Showtime's shows are what I'd call good. I mean:

i5RYOCS7SyIRn.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom