Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Boy's first JRPG

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I clearly remember beating red with a sole Rattata
Lol, I beat blue with a Charizard. Getting past the water gym (second one) was hell but little me had a lot of fun with the run after that.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Lol, I beat blue with a Charizard. Getting past the water gym (second one) was hell but little me had a lot of fun with the run after that.
Try being a very young child playing a parent's copy of Yellow and having to deal with the rock gym as the very first one. ; ;

Not sure why I remember this given I can't recall anything else from that point of life, but I recall that many of the Pokemon you ran into leading up to that gym were bug or flying types (both weak to rock types ; ; ), so not a huge boon on top of poor, disadvantaged Pikachu.

edit: Looked up up and yeppp.

"Viridian Forest: You will encounter only Caterpie, Metapod, Pidgey and Pidgeotto in Pokémon Yellow." Easy to game as an adult but rough as a small child noob. :P

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Try being a very young child playing a parent's copy of Yellow and having to deal with the rock gym as the very first one. ; ;
I remember being sad for not being able to get pikachu as my starter pokemon so you at least had that going for you!

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Good bait thread.
Wasn't meant to be one, I really wanted to choose a good, solid JRPG to be my next game after I finished with Diablo 4.

Well what did you think of each recommendation? Surely some of them must have appealed to your more than others?
I just want one where the protagonist is a non-faggoty, non-tranny adult male, who speaks ENGLISH. So far, I haven't seen one like that, aside from FF16 which isn't available on my consoletard.

Modron

Arcane
who speaks ENGLISH.
That's bait.

There really haven't been a lot of great modern JRPGs, you have to go back to the 90s and 2000s for those (the handhelds still had some gems into the 2010s before smart phone gaming destroyed the platform). After that it's mostly just like all other genres mountains and mountains of shits with rare gems. The seventh generation of consoles really did a number on the quality of games, jrpgs increasingly became linear corridor affairs in particular.

Play Front Mission 1, Yakuza 0, a Legend of Heroes game, DQ 11, Valkyria Chronicles, et cetera. Maybe an Octopath Traveller or a Persona if none of those appeal. Astlibra Revision if you want to go indie. An Elminage game if you want some blobbing. Am I missing any gems of the last decade?

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Play Yakuza 0
I was literally about to buy it, until I watched some gameplay vids and realized it's just WAKATERASUMA KIMONO OSHIGOTO MINOKOTO WAKIZAKI ICHIBARIGAMOTO NEEEEE?!?!?!?! for the entire game. Might check out Like a Dragon, though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yakuza 0 was fun though I was annoyed I had to select maximum power for my CPU in windows Power Options due to a bug in early builds, otherwise I'd get constant stutter. Plug your major bugs in your fucking games before they get out the door, assholes.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
As soon as I said "non-faggoty non-tranny adult male", Retardor immediately got triggered.

Curious.

I remember discovering the "switching out while under Toxic turns it into normal Poisoned status" glitch and thinking it was intended, to encourage you to switch.

Last game in this genre I tried was Final Fantasy 8. Ridiculous amount of random encounters.

The less random "pop up" encounters, the better.
Some of the Final Fantasy games feature items that can be equipped to reduce or eliminate the random battles, though of course you'll need to advance far enough into the game to acquire such an item. Using an emulator, you might be able to enter codes that have the same effect; for example, for Final Fantasy VI there is a relic called a Moogle Charm that eliminates random encounters if equipped by a party member, and there are Game Genie codes that replicate this (AADC-EF08 as if the Moogle Charm and Sprint Shoes were equipped, or AADC-EDA8 just for the Moogle Charm).
FF8 in particular you can use one of Diablos' skills to reduce/remove random encounters fairly early on. The remastered version also lets you disable them in the setttings screen.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you get enough XP if you disable random encounters in FF8? It has been about 23 years since I played that game and I can't remember how much XP you get from just doing the "critical" encounters.

Modron

Arcane
Do you get enough XP if you disable random encounters in FF8? It has been about 23 years since I played that game and I can't remember how much XP you get from just doing the "critical" encounters.
FF8 had level scaling so it didn't really matter how much xp you got. In fact there was a type of extremely autistic min maxer who would kill off their characters and just use Seifer to max whatever you called the linked summons in the opening sequence of the game then spent the rest of the game running from random encounters so they would overpower the scaling with their summons in the fixed/boss fights. Talking way beyond omega turbodweeb levels.

I just want one where the protagonist is a non-faggoty, non-tranny adult male

Xenogears. The main character, Fei, is a little baby-faced but has more defined muscles than most JRPG protagonists.
VrKsfAn.png

Suikoden 3. There are three main characters and one of them, Geddoe, is a middle-aged mercenary working for the empire. Half way through the game you can pick which of the three to take over as the definitive main character who you then play as until the end of the game.

Valkyria Chronicles 1. The MC, Welkin, is in his mid 20s, is an illustrator and a teacher who volunteers and becomes a squad leader).

Final Fantasy 12 is an ensemble game in which the three most plot relevant of the six playable characters - Princess Ashe, Knight Captain Basch, and the thief Balthier - have adult character designs. Two out of the three guest party members - Vosler and Reddas - also have adult character designs. There are only three teenagers (two permanent party members and one guest) in the game.

XhKEf9N.png
Princess Ashe.

PMscogb.png

Basch

XWqu50u.png

Balthier

6ytA6HC.jpg

Vossler

IJvjBTB.jpg

Reddas

Final Fantasy 15. Noctis starts off as a teenager but becomes a bearded man after the ten year timeskip.

Utawarerumono trilogy. Main character is a college graduate in his mid 20s who then becomes medieval warlord.

Resonance of Fate is an ensemble game. One of the three main characters, Vashyron, is in his mid 20s.

Yakuza series. Both main characters start their series in his late 30s/early 40s having just gotten out of prison.
T17OyDZ.png

Kiryu (protag of the first 6 games)

i9KVLZk.jpg

Ichiban (protag of the new turn based games, Yakuza Like a Dragon and its upcoming sequel).

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
As soon as I said "non-faggoty non-tranny adult male", Retardor immediately got triggered.

Curious.
I didn't mention that bit because I thought I'd spare you the shame, but I have to assume that you're afraid seeing a bunch of effeminate young men will leave you suddenly craving cock! :P

Yakuza series. Both main characters start their series in his late 30s/early 40s having just gotten out of prison.
It's cool that you're trying, but given the original post only had the (already stupid) requirement not to play as a "female", and said nothing about a game needing to be dubbed in English (OP is not a native speaker), you're probably wasting your energy on this one.

Thread should probably pivot to helping others who are actually sincere about looking for a game to play.

Edit: lol, he just edited in the English thing, so predictable.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom