Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Boy's first JRPG

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
As annoying as the high encounter rate in some jRPGs I played could be, nothing prepared me for the western-developed Wasteland (or even Bard's Tale 3 on the C64 years before). Suddenly encountering monsters every few hundred feet in jRPGs didn't seem so bad anymore after encountering them every 3 or 4 steps in the aforementioned games.

Ash

Arcane
Be honest now, you hate it because it's popular.
GFX? Great.
OST? Good.
Story? Fun timetravel romp. Mu and Mammon machine are interesting RL hooks.
Characters? Mostly endearing.
Combat? It's a story jRPG, 'nuff said.
While we're at it, care to explain how it "sells out"? Did it sell out retroactively because everyone and their grandma knows about it by now? How exactly does that work?
inb4 cry/dilate/seethe etc.

It's a storyfag "game" with zero gameplay merit...well there you go. That's why I dislike it. I barely even classify it as a game, given the gameplay is so retarded and time-wasting.

I like many popular things from the 90s in particular, but nice try.

As for how it sold out, it is a Squaresoft game, which typically have rather notable emphasis on gameplay (emphasis on everything). Prior to this game they had released FF5 & FF6, which are far more gameplay-centric by comparison. Or even FF1 which is pretty much pure gameplay & adventure focus, despite being a bit shit.

TIL why it's called Chrono TRIGGER. It triggers the shit out of retards.

It's honestly the best japenesru rorupuraying gameru ever made.

>Graphics detailed enough to be iconic, but not detailed enough to reveal most anime faggotry.

>Legendary soundtrack that's still regularly listed on "best game music of all time" lists.

>Typical JRPG combat that's simple but in this case almost never gets boring. Anything can still kill you.

>Storyline and setting that keeps you intrigued, not boring you with 17 thousand walls of text to wade through *cough*Final Fantasy 7*cough*
Bro if you like CT you certifiably have zero test in your bloodstream. Nice job outing yourself as a sissy retard bitch. Game is literally kindergarten levels of mental engagement, and therefore that tells me a lot about you. Yeah, the music, soundtrack, and sure even the story are all nice, but it's dragged down by about 25 or whatever hours of fake "gameplay" that is a complete waste of time.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Bro if you like CT you certifiably have zero test in your bloodstream. Nice job outing yourself as a sissy retard bitch. Game is literally kindergarten levels of mental engagement, and therefore that tells me a lot about you. Yeah, the music, soundtrack, and sure even the story are all nice, but it's dragged down by about 25 or whatever hours of fake "gameplay" that is a complete waste of time.
This is a truly wonderful post, and it amazes me more gamers can't see it.

Don't get me wrong, I think CT is still a good beginner game and has it's nice qualities as you mention, but when folk wax lyrical about it being one of the "greatest RPGs ever" the mind boggles. It only engages on a really, really basic almost infantile level, so I expect to see it get praise with normies and Nintendo fans who are generally retarded or mentally stunted in some way. But when I see it getting hailed as a "best RPG" in places like the Codex, where you'd assume most players have evolved past beginner level shit, I have to do a double take.

Ash

Arcane
RPG,, or even just game? It is neither. It's an interactive story with mindless pretend combat, that's it.

I'll just link to this post, as we do this silly dance with dumb CT tards every time: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codex-top-55-jrpgs.144923/post-8184129

You guys just don't get it. There is almost no game! Piss easy barebones Combat and a very small handful of mini-games, that's it. The level design is point A to point B with no stops or obstacles along the way other than the shitty combat, like a Call of Duty game. Little to no staples of RPGs like strategy, notable build choices, optional exploration, navigational challenges, side quests, puzzles and so on. This is not "accessible", this is qualifying for the title of non-game.

Do you know what is an accessible RPG? Pokemon, which again has 50x the gameplay depth. That's how laughable this pos game is. The odd thing is it is by Squaresoft, who in that era produced solid gold (FF 5-9, FFT, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Parasite Eve 2...). I don't know what happened here with this so-called "dream team game" or whatever dumb BS gets spewed. I guess they decided it was time for another sellout game like FF4.

Unobservant. Go play the game again, then come back. I hope you'll have learned something and l'll be able to bestow you with a monocle by then.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
You guys are oblivious. You are the other side of the retard coin; "OMG BEST GAME EVARRR" - "OMG TOTALLL SHIITTTT". Same coin, both sides retarded.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have never played a JRPG in my life. Ever. Not a single one.

What would be the best one to start with, out of the recently-released ones? Yakuza 0? Final Fantasy XVI? Shenmue III? Fursona 5?
I would recommend Lona RPG but since you're insecure of your gender identity and can't play female characters, your only option is Fear & Hunger. A lighthearted adventure with memorable locations and charming characters.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

What would be the best one to start with, out of the recently-released ones? Yakuza 0? Final Fantasy XVI? Shenmue III? Fursona 5?
I would recommend Lona RPG but since you're insecure of your gender identity and can't play female characters, your only option is Fear & Hunger. A lighthearted adventure with memorable locations and charming characters.
Was this game ever finished?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Was this game ever finished?
I think it's complete and you can reach endgame (several youtubers did). Not sure about polishing of the game and getting rid of bugs. But I guess it's complete, developer released a sequel already (Termina).

Last edited:

Zoo

Novice
For Final Fantasy, I would pick any Final Fantasy numbered 6 through 10. They had the highest production values for their time and aren't frustrating. They revolutionized the JRPG genre as we know it and set the expectations of the genre in terms of characters, plot structure, presentation, music, etc. You collect a band of quirky heroes and go on a journey to fight evil empires or megacoroporations, and then fight some god monster at the end. They are each 20 to 40 hours long. Pick whichever one appeals to you the most.
I have to disagree, FF7 can be really frustrating. First of all, there are the usual frequent random encounters. I haven't got any problem old cRPGs like Realms of Arkania or Might and Magic I, but as a western RPG guy, it was a painful aspect. The inventory management can be horrendous, too, especially in the late game with all the materias of the world. And I hate always-laughing so "evil" characters.
I see zero significant issues with random encounters when attached to fun combat & RPG systems. It's kind of the point. The same people that complain about random encounters are probably the same ones that complain about respawning enemies of any kind, period. Good games most commonly have combat, and a lot of it. Random encounters in particular punish bad navigational skills of the player, chipping away at resources through attrition (various healing items, revives, mana stock, etc) and great games take advantage of this fact, even in FF games at times though rare, especially particular dungeons with maze-like design. Of the FF games, You can see this simple concept most effectively in Final Fantasy 1, though it doesn't offer much else other than this basic concept capitalized on effectively. Extremely barebones game for my taste.
I assume those with no appreciation for respawning enemies or rand encounters generally don't have much appreciation for gameplay, more in it for the audio/visual/story/whatever else side of things. Yeah you could say FF7 in particular the random encounters may get annoying because the combat is too easy and therefore lacks true substance, but that doesn't explain hatred for random encounters in games with more testing combat. Also I will never stop recommending this: FF7 Hardtype Romhack
In some areas in FF7 I had to fight every 1 or 2 steps. It was infurating given to the piss easy combat (15 fps) and mandatory post-battle report. Maybe it was the random, and I just got unlucky. As I said, I didn't mind random encounters in M&M1, because it has good encounter design.

Frequent respawn certainly can be a pain int the ass, but it is tolerable, when it is logic-based (Gnoll Tower in Baldur's Gate or Rapax Castle in Wizardry 8). I like tactical games and RPGs with good combat, however, in general I prefer less meaningful encounters to a larger number of nearly identical battles. I didn't recommend against FF7, it could be a good entry point, but I think it has some problems, especially for a new player.

Ash

Arcane
You guys are oblivious. You are the other side of the retard coin; "OMG BEST GAME EVARRR" - "OMG TOTALLL SHIITTTT". Same coin, both sides retarded.
READ bitch!

I have praised its story, music and art. this means I do not think it is the worst thing ever. BUT, as a game, it IS complete, total, absolute irredeemable shit, yes. There is no inbetween in this regard.

Of course there are far worse entries in the medium, because there are unfortunately tons of shitty non-games, walking sims, storytwat retardation, unfinished jank and so on.
My rating is B- as a storyfag experience for storyfag dweebs where you press buttons but none of it means anything, just enjoy the show. The show is OK. Cute and charming, it even has a chivalrous frog knight, but is dragged down by hours of pretend gameplay. You simply do not have to use your brain ever, it doesn't allow you to use your brain, as there is almost no gameplay content to engage you outside of barebones easy combat.
F ranking as a game. The single most overrated 90s game, even beating Goldeneye for that title. For all of Goldeneye's major issues, there is still a somewhat respectable game there.

Never once in CT will you think

"How do I complete this quest objective?"
"What build setup should I use to beat this boss?"
"How do I solve this puzzle?"
"Which side quest/optional location should I tackle first?"
"How the fuck do I get out of this dungeon? I'm lost"
"Where do I learn x character's ability I missed?"
"Do I have enough healing potions or should I go to x town and stock up?"

Gameplay, ever heard of it?

It is mind boggling that CT is always at the top of SNES game and JRPG lists, especially when FF6 is CT's direct competitor, even by the same devs, with far superior gameplay, and yet is equivalent in every other regard if not better: fantastic story, music, art. Gamers are retarded, and I am butthurt I listened to these retards thinking I somehow missed a 90s gem, played the game in 2016 and...even as a child I would not like this game. I do like corridors of time (music) though. At least something good came of it.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Metal Max Xeno Reborn?

-open world
-Low story
-TankRPG
-Battle doggos

I found Xeno and Reborn to be enjoyable for what they are, but I wouldn't say they're good, and they're definitely not something I'd recommend to a newbie in the JRPG genre.

Although I have to commend Reborn for letting you romance anybody and giving you a game over screen if you do. The butthurt and confusion this generated was fun to watch. :positive:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Chrono Trigger is the quint essential JRPG that embodies all JRPGs, minus the fat. It's perfect.

FF6 has too many characters, too much grind and is too long. CT has a perfect cast, almost no grind as you can avoid enemies and the length is spot on.

FF6 has too many characters

I like JRPGs with large playable character rosters. Chances are that there will be several characters that appeal to me so I can make my own party of my favorite characters, whereas with a game with a small roster then I only really like one or two of the characters and the rest of the people in my party I don't care about.

Vic

Savant

I like JRPGs with large playable character rosters. Chances are that there will be several characters that appeal to me so I can make my own party of my favorite characters, whereas with a game with a small roster then I only really like one or two of the characters and the rest of the people in my party I don't care about.
Not the case in CT. Your party consists of only 3 people and they synergize to create double and triple tech attack moves. You can mix and match to create unique moves, coupled with multiple endings and a NG+ (SNES version had NG+, right?) and it's short length makes it quite replayable.

https://chrono.fandom.com/wiki/Tech#Triple_Techs

Vic

Savant
Chrono Trigger is the quint essential JRPG that embodies all JRPGs, minus the fat. It's perfect.
That would be the case if one's head was so far up his ass he'd give Ouroboros a run for his money. If you think CT embodies all JRPGs, you need to play more JRPGs.
It does tho, it has all the elements of a JRPG and trimmed it down to perfection. No wasted space, like a samurai bringing down his sword in a perfect strike.

Machocruz

Arcane
Chrono Trigger is baby shit as a game, it's vaunted reputation is mostly a meme, something people repeat by rote. But it's cute, it's nice. There's some entertainment to be had, perhaps not the kind one typically seeks from a game. Although if you don't like Toriyama art...well that's about 80% of the charm (music other 20%). I think it's some of his best characters, should have been a manga and anime series. There is a one-shot manga and OVA, but the manga is not done by Toriyama and the OVA is just minor side characters.

Of all the games mentioned, I'd go with Lost Odyssey. It's the crossroads of JRPGs, a summation and refinement of what came before, with all the tropes and expectations, dressed in the highest production values up until that point, also coming before the major changes the game industry/game design would go through from that generation on. I guess you could call it a typical or bog standard JRPG, but that's part of what makes me recommend it, so you don't have to deal with "exotic" mechanics or other quirks, otherwise I would recommend a Shin Megami Tensei game. You get what's good about prototypical bit fantasy JRPGs, from NES to PS2, but with graphics and presentation that better suit modern tastes, especially on emulator with higher graphics settings.

One of the few JRPGs since then to have more than a four character party too, which is massive incline.

Ash

Arcane
That would be the case if one's head was so far up his ass he'd give Ouroboros a run for his money. If you think CT embodies all JRPGs, you need to play more JRPGs.
It does tho, it has all the elements of a JRPG and trimmed it down to perfection. No wasted space, like a samurai bringing down his sword in a perfect strike.
Stop posting

Falksi

Arcane
Not really. Those of us who have criticized CT have pointed out it's got good qualities (artwork music etc.), it's just also got a lot of significant flaws which keep it far from being a great game.

Ash mentioned 3 great points in his criticism of it....

"How the fuck do I get out of this dungeon? I'm lost"
"Where do I learn x character's ability I missed?"
"Do I have enough healing potions or should I go to x town and stock up?"

...you just never have to even remotely consider any of these questions, thus it's significantly less engaging than JRPGs such as those from the Phantasy Star or Final Fantasy series. It's literally a JRPG with stabilizers on.

But one thing Ash didn't mention, and what I find piss funny with people's appraisal of CT, is that it's a story and character driven game....with a fucking silent protagonist and virtually no C&C dialogue lol. Now again contrast that to say Terra in FF6 or Chaz in PS4 and it's just a huge gap/glaw in CT's setup. This is really rammed home when you meet doll Chrono and it reflects to the player how empty a vessel Chrono is as a character. For a game with such lacking gameplay, a quality protagonist was essential and we didn't get it.

Not the case in CT. Your party consists of only 3 people and they synergize to create double and triple tech attack moves. You can mix and match to create unique moves, coupled with multiple endings and a NG+ (SNES version had NG+, right?) and it's short length makes it quite replayable.

https://chrono.fandom.com/wiki/Tech#Triple_Techs
Chrono Trigger is one of the least replayable JRPGS out there because of it's none-random battles. Every single playthrough sees you fight the exact same enemies in the exact same places, and that's magnified even more by the fact that you have to travel through Time Gates constantly, and to do so have to fight the exact same low grade enemies guarding those gates over and over too.

Now that wouldn't be so bad if there was any remote challenge to those fights, but there isn't and it's literally just mash the A button until the fight is over with. You couldn't get a better example of "filler" in a JRPG and it gets monotonous as fuck.

Vic

Savant
it's literally just mash the A button until the fight is
I just megaton bomb all with Lucca.

Whenever you find yourself spamming A in a JRPG you're playing it wrong. Use your Tech points, the attack animations are all unique and have a charm to them. Coupled with the great OST, Toriyama's art and no annoying random encounters makes it one of the most enjoyable battle systems of the turn based 16bit RPGs.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane

Whenever you find yourself spamming A in a JRPG you're playing it wrong. Use your Tech points, the attack animations are all unique and have a charm to them. Coupled with the great OST, Toriyama's art and no annoying random encounters makes it one of the most enjoyable battle systems of the turn based 16bit RPGs.
You've literally just proved my point on how lame-ass the combat challenge is. Using tech points and combo attacks is completely optional and often drags the fights out longer due to those animations. There's usually 0 challenge to prompt you to use them.

No random encounters make replays boring as I've already explained. You're clearly very inexperienced when it comes to RPGs to because random encounters are never an annoyance either, the annoyance comes with excessive encounter rates.

I can see why you like CT, it's a beginners RPG and you're clearly still learning. But when you start levelling up with the genre you'll see why some of us aren't so hot on it. Check out Gastrick's poll to see a better representation of where CT belongs in the grand scheme of things.

Vic

Savant

You've literally just proved my point on how lame-ass the combat challenge is. Using tech points and combo attacks is completely optional and often drags the fights out longer due to those animations. There's usually 0 challenge to prompt you to use them.

No random encounters make replays boring as I've already explained. You're clearly very inexperienced when it comes to RPGs to because random encounters are never an annoyance either, the annoyance comes with excessive encounter rates.

I can see why you like CT, it's a beginners RPG and you're clearly still learning. But when you start levelling up with the genre you'll see why some of us aren't so hot on it. Check out Gastrick's poll to see a better representation of where CT belongs in the grand scheme of things.
I don't disagree with you except on the point that random encounters are not annoying. They are super annoying. Other than that, I didn't say CT is a hardcore JRPG. It's a short and sweet adventure that you go on with a great cast of characters, great OST and art design. It's replayable because it's so short and you can mix up your playthroughs by using a different combination of characters. Not only do you get different Techs but they also say unique lines at different points in the story. I think it's perfect to get the "JRPG experience" as your first JRPG in a condensed form without any waste.

If on the other hand you give FF6 to somebody for the first time, he might get overwhelmed by the length and huge amount of random encounters. I was playing FF6 last week and I couldn't walk 2 steps until a new battle popped up and I was like come on man I just wanna get out of here. Didn't help that the place was maze like either. Super annoying.

I enjoyed random encounters in Dragon Warrior because it's a grindy game with focus on combat. But if you make a story heavy game please lay off on the huge amount of forced random encounters. I think modern JRPGs are a huge improvement as they follow CT's formula and show encounters on the map and thus make them predictable and often times avoidable.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom