Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands - More like boring..er..lands.

Multi-headed Cow

There's certainly no NEED to do it, it's not like Diablo 2 where you straight up cannot advance in higher difficulties due to crappy gear. Still, if you find a rare and awesome weapon that would be good for a different class you might wanna do that anyway.

Secretninja

Cipher
Or if you find a good masher for level 25s that you can use til the end of the game then it makes leveling another character a lot easier.

Gerrard

Arcane
Issue: Inconsistent use of mouse/keyboard controls to access PC menus
Stats: This issue is being investigated

issue: PC - mouse sensitivity adjustment does not affect movement in menus
Under investigation since... when was it released again?

Fuck you Gearbox, I still don't see a reason to give you my money.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Wouldn't that make the game more pointless? Acquiring new shit is basically the point of the game. It kinda tells you not to get attached to anything because you'll always be finding better shit at the next corner.

Sure, I just don't generally have very good luck with drops in these sort of games. I was using an SMG with level 15 requirement till my high 30's since the few nice (ie. epix!1) smg's that dropped all had abysmal fire rate, which made them useless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Aside from the lack of gear spots, and indistinguishable classes with indistinguishable talent trees, the amount of loot is actually one of the games other weaknesses. There's simply too much of it (probably because there's only three real gear slots: weapon, shield, and mod) such that I never really got excited finding an 'upgrade' because: 1) It was usually only a marginal upgrade over what I currently had, and 2) it was only a matter of minutes before you found something better.

Multi-headed Cow

I actually kinda liked that about the game. I usually would be sure to keep one or two guns that were my particular favorites, but I'd rotate in new finds constantly since some are better than their stats would indicate.

Occasionally, you do find more unique stuff that's pretty satisfying to acquire - purple, orange and yellow named weapons, for example. It takes a while until you find stuff that is statistically superior. At level 21 or so, I found a revolver that could get me to 35, but I traded it for technically inferior gear just to keep from getting bored.

anus_pounder

Arcane
:oops: So, does anyone on the codex play this ?

A friend gifted me the GotY edition on Steam. Was wondering if anyone on codex would want to co-op. I don't want to just throw away the gift.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, I could always be tempted to make another co-op character. There is a lot of potential for this game but it's also very uneven. It's yet another game that just asks for a sequel that will hopefully fix the flaws and improve on what works.

Gregz

Arcane
Borderlands - More like boring..er..lands

gif-12.gif

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Old thread bumped back up? Meh, not a big deal.

I originally had a great hatred for Borderlands. It was only one of two games that I held such great disdain for. Later, I went and bought the GoTY edition for cheap on Steam and decided to give the middle finger to the concept of using a sniper rifle and decided that I would go around fancying myself the use of nothing but revolvers and pistols (and whatever else keeps me from dying). This seemed to improve my experience of the game but still felt a little lacking. It wasn't the greatest game to exist but it certainly wasn't as bad as that other game I show great hatred for.

Would I be up for some Borderlands action? Maybe.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I only played a few hours of the SP on the initial release. Wasn't impressed, but I'm guessing co-op is where the fun is at. I'm only playing if I get Lilith though. :)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Well, I'm almost embarrased to say I enjoyed the hell out of it (eventually, takes a while to get going). A guilty pleasure really, as there's a lot that needs improving on - highlighted elsewhere in this thread. Co-op is especially fun, though I really didn't get to do much of that.

Looking forwad to Borderlands 2 later this year. Fingers crossed for an :incline:.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would take a HUGE amount of incline for me to consider Borderlands 2. It wasn't a bad game, per se, just bland. At least I didn't pay for it -- gave my WoW gold to a buddy in exchange!

Gord

Arcane
So I broke down and bought the GOTY edition during the current Steam sale.
Is the verdict still (with the patches and all the dlc) that it's fun in multiplayer coop but boring when played alone?

Stakhanov

Augur
You could play it solo if you like action RPG gruel - even GOTY edition you'll still want at least one other player.

Monocause

Arcane
Gragt, you'd be up for some more BL? I think I'd like to give it another go, but with a slightly different paradigm. Last we played with Hoaxmetal and Multidirectional we were doing too much speedrunning, just storming through everything; I think I'd prefer a more relaxed approach this time - coupled with avoiding as many sidequests as is realistically possible to avoid overlevelling. I remember starting an underleveled (I went for sidequests only when I got to a point where enemies were impossible to defeat) solo run and enjoyed it immensely. Game got more challenging and required a careful approach with a lot of weapon swapping. We should try it on co-op.

Also, anything new about borderlands in the past year? New patches, DLCs, anything? Is there a sequel planned?

EDIT: Ooh, out in september! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_2

and fuck you guys, Borderlands is a fun game. Get a couple of friends, stop thinking about it as an RPG and have fun shootan and collecting bigger guns.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/23/borderlands-2-preview/

Meanwhile, the moon is launching robots at you. “We wanted robots to come in from the moon. More games should have this,” deadpans Gibson. He’s so right.
:D

Dudes, if someone is still doing Borderlands co-op I could join for a new run. Still wanna try Phasewalker.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I'm very much in on a Borderlands co-op. Any class will do though I've played almost only as Sniper. Haven't played much of this game actually as I haven't any friends at all who have this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom