Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Bonez demo released

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bonez Adventures

There's a <A href="http://bonez-adventures.com/downloads/bonez-setup.exe">demo</a> of the swashbuckling archeologist CRPG <A href="http://bonez-adventures.com/main.html">Bonez Adventures</a> available for download from their main site. Looks a little too actiony for my tastes, but I'm sure some will enjoy it.
<br>
<br>
I'm not sure why you can't do a setting like this without all the actiony combat.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Tomas</b>!

Selenti

Liturgist
I don't care what you guys say, this game rocks for the name alone.

"BONEZ!"

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
it would rock harder if it was sponsored by Bawls, sorry I mean BAWLS

Sarvis

Erudite
coaxmetal said:
the adventure genre was supposed to be dead, i think. but i'm not sure :hahano:

Well, if there was an AdventureCodex, they would probably say that. In a way it's actually true though.

Games like Legend of Zelda are ActionAdventure games, so the Adventure genre itself survives through those. However Adventure game purists like to call Zelda an RPG, because only games like Kings Quest can be true Adventure games.

There are still occasional releases in the genre though. They just don't do too well...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the termination of Sam n Max 2 pretty much was the death knell of Adventure games. Much like true TB RPGs, theres some furnurs toiling away at some fairly decent product, but these days people want to click on things to kill them, not to pixel hunt for items to solve puzzles

RGE

Liturgist
I don't recall wanting to pixelhunt for items to solve puzzles even when I did play adventure games (Monkey Island 1 and 2, and Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis). It was just something that I had to put up with to get the payoffs (story, adventure and humor).

I didn't want to bother downloading and installing the demo, so I watched the trailer instead. And that was a lot of swordwaving. Particularly silly when he was waving his sword against tiny little scorpions. Engaging music though. Dum dum DUM!

Psilon

Erudite
The LucasArts adventures were usually much better about pixelhunting than the Sierra ones. I don't think Sierra added visible hotspots until the KQ7 era. And KQ7 was an awful game on so many other levels that the glowing cursor didn't really help.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The Myst series is still around, but its no where near its previous glory. I hear they are making one last game, and that will be it. Though, I have a hard time believing that. The name still can sell a lot of copies. Just not enough to save Uru. Other than that flagship, there aren't many other places to look.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
That games looks pretty interesting. Yet, isn't that the same developers that did Omikron? Omikron showed a lot of promise for about the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the game, and then went downhill pretty quickly. Not just downhill, but to the gutter, into the sewers, and discovering fossils in subterranean tunnels.

coaxmetal

Novice
Stark said:
coaxmetal said:
the adventure genre was supposed to be dead, i think. but i'm not sure :hahano:

not totally dead. there're still some quality products coming out now and then. head over to JustAdventure to get an idea.

here's one that gets me interested:

Fahrenheit
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60089

yeah fahrenheit shows some potential. But after having watched some trailers i can full heartedly say that the game is so saturated with the console stink all over it that it will hardly come out clean. :roll:

Stark

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Yet, isn't that the same developers that did Omikron? Omikron showed a lot of promise for about the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the game, and then went downhill pretty quickly.

not sure if that's the developer that did Omikron. here's a bit more:

So, we start moving Kane around. We approach the main mirror. An option presents itself at the top of the screen and we move the analogue. Kane starts to wash his hands of the blood his innocent victim so inconveniently splurged when being gouged by the knife. We are now trying to get away with it. We move towards a urinal. Seems like Kane needs to take a leak. A simple push of the analogue indulges our troubled friend. What about the body? We move it into a cubicle. The blood on the floor? We start to mop it up. All of a sudden we feel quite callous. Fahrenheit, quite brilliantly, is simply playing on gamer instincts.

As you try to work events out in your head, a cut-out of the diner bar fills half the screen, showing a cop about to walk into the toilet. This is happening in real time. What are you gonna do? Will you head for the window? Will you walk out of the toilet and leave as normally as possible? We decide to leave as we see the cop moving towards the restroom in the box-out on the right of the screen. We cross his path, the cop enters the toilet. We head for the door, the waitress screams for us to pay the bill - we run for it, desperate for the cold, harsh New York night to envelope us.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/previews/pid/708/98/1ceb541408d50afdef3c569749372c48

it's one of those game that's either going to pleasantly surprise us, or tank badly in execution.

Stark

Liturgist
coaxmetal said:
yeah fahrenheit shows some potential. But after having watched some trailers i can full heartedly say that the game is so saturated with the console stink all over it that it will hardly come out clean. :roll:

not sure where the console stink is coming from. there are good games on console too. though i don't own one, I've played abit of ICO and it's definately one of the finer masterpieces around, and it's on a console.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I play adventure games with my gf. Recently we've played Post Mortem and it was quite nice (and the ending was spectacular). The game attempted to be nonlinear which sometimes resulted in you having some dialogue options in which you could say sth you knew nothing about :D but generally, the puzzles and the story were good.

I'm looking forward to Still Life, which is close to a sequel.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Stark said:
not sure where the console stink is coming from.

I think he may be talking about the general "press this colored button to see the main character quote Nietschze, do a dance, or flip the bird" that seems to be a trend recurringly seen on consoles.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Still Life looked interesting, and Siberia was alright.

Adventure games arnt dead, just that most are too wussy to make one.

UnEarthed

Novice
in the opening of that bonez trailer I thought I was looking at Eternal Darkness.

My father in law is into all the myst games. A couple years ago we got him the Longest Journey. When he was done he sent it my way and it sat on my shelf for about a year. I just played it through a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. I always wanted to like the adventure games I bought better than I really did, but this one was good. Nice writing and story. gets a little weak right at the end but good overall for a change of pace.

http://www.longestjourney.com/

coaxmetal

Novice
Role-Player said:
Stark said:
not sure where the console stink is coming from.

I think he may be talking about the general "press this colored button to see the main character quote Nietschze, do a dance, or flip the bird" that seems to be a trend recurringly seen on consoles.

:lol: quite right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom