Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boardgames.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
When computer gaming gets more and more samey I can't help but think about the fun that's to be had with boardgames. Living opponents, often with you at one table, using your imagination instead of watching dreary next-gen graphics and thus being more immersed through it. Lovely. Axis and Allies used to be one of my favourites, but that's been over a decade since I played it. Settlers of Catan is still cool and if I want to get into a fight with my gf I play Machiavelli or the Catan cardgame against her. Not to mention that Werewolves is mad fun to play at parties.

Other than that though I really don't know too many games that are actually, well, very good. I'm also interested into expanding into more involved and intricate boardgames. Anyone got any solid recommendations? Been digging around a little and these caught my attention.

Republic of Rome seems nice. Intricate gaming system, lots of intrigue and backstabbing in a setting which appeals greatly to me.

Arkham Horror also appeals to me. Lovecraftian terror combined with team work and an almost inevitable showdown against something unspeakable.

I'm sure there are hunderds of other gems out there though. Help me find them, Codex!

Destroid

Arcane
Arkham Horror is a cooperative game with a lot of committee going on, I don't like it myself but if thats ok with you by all means play it.

The Battlestar Galactica (3-7, best with 5-6)game has similar elements to Werewolves I believe in which some players are secretly cylons and work against the rest of the players, good fun.

Tigris and Euphrates is a very good (2-4 best with 3) player game that is themed around the rise and fall of civilisations in Mesopotamia. Tile laying is the basis of the game but it has really interesting conflict mechanics.

Cosmic Encounter (2-6, best with 4-5) is a very fun and very chaotic game of bluff and crazy alien powers (there are 50 in the base set). Very good.

Pillars of the Earth is very good (2-4, best with 4).

Chaos in the Old World (2-4, best with 4) is a fun game themed around the Warhammer chaos gods vying for supremacy in the Empire of Warhammer Fantasy, lots of fun and highly thematic.

All of my suggestions don't take too long to play except for Battlestar Galactica, which is often quite long.

Castanova

Prophet
Power Grid is a really fun game, although it's not incredibly intricate or anything. Same with Puerto Rico.

The RPG boardgame Descent: Journeys in the Dark is a good time although you'll need a solid 4-5 hours to play through a scenario. Also, don't let a hypercompetitive person play as the DM because they'll ruin the mood.

catfood

AGAIN
I played Arkham Horror once with two friends. We battled the easiest ancient one and we still lost. It was a close fight though. There's a degree of randomness to it, so it's not all strategy. A friend had to roll a die to make a saving throw. When he rolled a 1 he got pissed and tried to cheat by rerolling. It turned out that every single cheat roll was a 1 as well. I guess it's not wise to trifle with the old god. :D
It can be played with 1-8 players, but it's harder with fewer players. However a player may control more than one character if that's what he wants, so it can be played in 2.
Here's a review that's bound to make you try it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix0D55_UtTw

Battlestar Galactica is also a game which I played only once but enjoyed. It's got lots of intrigue and interactivity between the players. I played as a hot azn chick and drew the cylon card from the beginning. Naturally the cylons won. :smug:

Seven Wonders is an easy little game. You "control" a wonder and the goal is to gather as many points by the end of the game through either economy, or military power, or special buildings. There's not a lot of player interactivity going on, so you can't forge alliances or whatnot, but the game is easy to learn and lasts only about half an hour so that's a plus if time is a concern. There's a also an extra 8th wonder and if you win with it each other player needs to buy the winner a beer. :D

I played a few more at a local tea house where you can try out board games for free, but none have really made an impression on me.

catfood

AGAIN
Castanova said:
Power Grid is a really fun game, although it's not incredibly intricate or anything. Same with Puerto Rico.

The RPG boardgame Descent: Journeys in the Dark is a good time although you'll need a solid 4-5 hours to play through a scenario. Also, don't let a hypercompetitive person play as the DM because they'll ruin the mood.

Hmm, I played Power Grid once, but I didn't like it so much. See, I didn't know how the game worked, so I payed a lot of money on my first auction for a really shit power plant. Needless to say I never could recover no matter what I did. I felt that it was a linear game from this point of view.

Descent is ok if you just want to kill some monsters, but I prefer DND. Agreed on the DM comment. We had one like that one time and it ruined the fun for everyone. I understand that, unlike DND, the role of the DM in Descent is to actually kill the players, but still that doesen't mean that he can be an asshole and bend and interpret rules to his liking. In the end he threw a hissy fit and left.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh, where to start...

I've been a member of a SU dedicated to boardgames for years. We have literally hundreds of boardgames, ranging from shiny new ones ot forgotten gems like Advanced Squad Leader, The Peleponesian War, a mint condition first run of Titan etc.

We used to be big on Arkham Horror and Battlestar galactica, but both games suffer from the fact that gameplay is defined by event cards. Once you've played it enough times, the game becomes predictable. Until then though, they're solid fun.

Games we frequently play so they should pass as the good uns:

Android - This one has a LOT of rules to parse, so teaching new players is a pain. It's similar in many way to Arkham Horror/Battlestar Galactica in that the players move around the board and try to build up some sort ofpoints with characters that have unique abilities. The setting is very Blade Runner, and there are multiple ways of getting the Victory Points required to win.

Small World Berserk Hobbits! Mounted Amazons! Flying Warlocks! Merchant Orcs! The spiritual successor to good ol' Vinci is great fun. Games are quick (1-2 hours to complete compared to most of the games we play in PFD taking 4-5), and the endless combination of [Trait][Race] makes every game slightly different. Gameplay is complex enough that the grognards in PFD are willing to play it, yet simple enough that I could explain them to my parents and have them asking me where they could buy the game. Highly reccomended.

Twilight Imperium - I'd definately reccomend getting the expansion for this, as the rule changes makes it more balanced. This is an all-nighter. 4x strategy in space. Huge amounts of fun. I haven't tried Shards of the Throne yet, but I'm giddy with anticipation.

Dominion and its various expansions. Another game that can be played in about an hour. Every game, a card bank of 10 different types of cards is built from the library, determining what actions and rules are in effect this game. Building up combos, optimizing your deck and cursing the luck of the draw is all good fun. It's like the interesting parts of Magic: The gathering (building your deck) without spending a billion potato on booster packs.

Shogun another personal favourite of mine. An unique but quick method of resolving battles, and mechanics rewarding aggressive players makes this a nice, fast-paced game. The order in which actions occur changes every turn, meaning you might end up having attacks happen before you can gather rice from that one province that may mean the difference between a quiet winter and starvation and peasant revolts. Good stuff.

A game of thrones - Mostly for ASoIaF fags. The game suffers from the fact that many factions must make a few exact moves in the first couple of rounds or another player will get an easy win. The expansions fix this somewhat. If you're a gargantuan ASoIaF fag, you'll like this.

Settlers of Catan - No board game list is complete without a honorary mention of Catan. Best played without expansions in my opinion. This is another fairly quick to play game involving resource management and inter-player diplomacy.

Civilization Ah, CiV. This game has actually shown itself as being surprisingly balanced. Every game I've played so far, there's always been at least one player who was one turn short of winning instead of whoever did, and we can usually point out the decision that cost him the game a few turns back. I love the tech pyramid, and the fact that there are different ways to go about winning the game (Tech victory, economic victory, military victory, cultural victory) makes for interesting scenarios.

Those are the newer games we play a lot. I've avoided listing th eolder, more obscure games as those can be nearly impossible to track down today. (that said, I could totally go for a solitare round of Pelephonecian WAr right now...)

If you're looking for inspiration on what games to go for, look no further than http://www.boardgamegeek.com
It's a brilliant site with user ratings and reviews - many of which are quite well-written, giving you a good idea of what to expect before spending your potato on shiny sheets of cardboard.

catfood

AGAIN
Shogun another personal favourite of mine. An unique but quick method of resolving battles, and mechanics rewarding aggressive players makes this a nice, fast-paced game. The order in which actions occur changes every turn, meaning you might end up having attacks happen before you can gather rice from that one province that may mean the difference between a quiet winter and starvation and peasant revolts. Good stuff.

A friend of mine has this. I definitely want to try it out next time. Does it have 4 phases like STW?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It has 2 years of 4 seasons. Spring/summer/autumn are regular seasons. Winter is where points are scored and starvation sets in if you haven't gathered enough rice in the previous 3 seasons. In regular seasons, there are a number of actions (Attack A, Attack B, Raise large Army, Raise medium Army, Tax gold, Tax rice, Build No Theatre etc...), but the order they occur is is randomized (the action deck is shuffled, the first half is placed face up the second face down). Players determine all their actions (each province can only perform one action every turn) by placing their province cards (or blanks for none) on their player sheets, and bid for initiative before actiosn are then resolved.

The really neat thing with the game is the tower. There's a cardboard tower with some inserts that add crossbeams inside. It's seeded at the start with some cubes of every colour (cubes representing armies/political influence etc). When 2 armies battle, the cubes involved are thrown into the tower, and whichever cubes fall out determine the outcome. It's really quick, and it means that even in defeat, you may suddenly have gained a large reserve force hidden in the tower for further defenses or conquests. It's a neat, abstract mechanic. And it means that there can be lots of player combat in the game without everything getting bogged down in a million dice rolls.

Temaperacl

Erudite
Lots of great games out there - the ones that come to mind first (that haven't been mentioned yet) are:

If you haven't tried it out Diplomacy is a classic wargame - it is best with a full compliment (7 people) as the rules are very simple and the fun comes from the complexity of the interactions.

For cooperative games, pandemic is a recent game that seems to appeal to alot of non-gamers - It is enjoyable, although to me it isn't as fun as alot of other games, but it has been the easiest (except maybe Settlers of Catan) to get people to play in groups with different tastes.

Due to time constraints, I haven't played it in around a decade, but one that I remember as tremendous fun (as long as everyone playing enjoyed that type of game) was Global War, which was a joining (official rules for joining them) of A3R and Empire of the Rising Sun. This is more fun than either by itself, but it does make for a long game.

I always prefered the strategic aspect (Imperial Starfire with slowed down construction) to the actual combat , but Starfire was another "stat heavy" type space combat (Starfire) / Empire building (Imperial Starfire) game.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Check out boardgamegeek.com

Anyways out of the ones I tried out, and I mostly play wargames, I liked command & Colors Ancients. At first I was against the system, you could only issue orders from the cards you draw, but the actual game is tense.

Phelot

Arcane
Cults Across America
http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1210.php
It's been a loooong time since I played, but I remember having a lot of fun with this one. It's a Cthulhu themed board game that has some pretty good humor. Basically, you play as a raving cult leader and wage war against other cults using tanks, monsters, cultists, the National Guard, etc. Lots of crazy stuff can happen.

Carcassonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_(board_game)
One of those "rivers, roads, and rails" clones where you have to match up various tradeways and cities. It's pretty easy to learn and is a lot of fun with a group of friends.

Space Hulk!

Cults across America: I loved the cool little cultist dudes with flamethrowers.
05585.jpg

Castanova

Prophet
catfood said:
Hmm, I played Power Grid once, but I didn't like it so much. See, I didn't know how the game worked, so I payed a lot of money on my first auction for a really shit power plant. Needless to say I never could recover no matter what I did. I felt that it was a linear game from this point of view.

Well, yeah, the game is not kind to a newbie playing with more experienced players. After maybe two or three games under your belt, though, the basic strategy isn't rocket science and it becomes a really interesting game. That being said, optimal play seems to lead toward a weird pause in player growth around, say, 12 cities until someone is ready to make a mad rush to buy up 5 more cities all in one turn. Still worth playing with friends.

Ulminati said:
Dominion and its various expansions.

It is a fun game but, despite all its trappings, it's very much a casual game on the inside. There's a strong luck element and there's very minor interaction between players. I play it with my wife sometimes and she doesn't like serious games.

Destroid

Arcane
Castanova said:
While, we're at it - anyone have experience with Agricola? Sounds like a really polarizing game which naturally intrigues me.

I've played it once to get a feel for the rules, I'd play it again but it didn't grab me right away. By my recollection the only competition between players is bidding for various resources, I tend to prefer games that are more directly competitive.

Anyone ever played Time Agent? It has a very interesting premise, each player controls competing alien factions manipulating the past so that it suits your own faction. Once you have arranged past events to maximise your points, you then uninvent time travel technology to win the game.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Check boardgamegeek.com to make better informed opinions on a game before you buy it.

Dominions is fun, I bought a box set with two of the expansions.

Word Blur is a great party game. Think pictionary meets magnetic poetry.

Blokus and its variants.

Pente - Part go, part othello, part brain-hurts.

Khet - Laser chess!!! No more need be said.

Ra, Tigris and Euphrates - Most Reiner Knizia games are awesome

Dungeon Twister - D&D meets chess meets analysis paralysis

Carcasonne is a nice lightweight tile playing game that you can use for girls and people that shy away from rule heavy games.

Mall of Horror - zombies attacking, but the true enemies are the players as you decide who gets eaten when the zombies bust through

Destroid

Arcane
phelot said:
Destroid said:
Yeah I'm not a fan of Carcasonne either.

Just curious, but why not? Too light?

Probably, I've only played it maybe 3 times and that was quite some time ago, most of our group didn't like it so we dropped it. That said I've only played it with quite a large number of players (5+) so perhaps it is better with fewer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Been ages since I played any with my brothers (20+ years ago). The ones I do remember were Axis and Allies (obviously), Fortress America, Conquest of Empires (or something like that), and some of the assorted Avalon Hill hex games.

And, of course, Stratego! Oh... and Dark Tower! Great artwork.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom