Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines box art - sex sells?

Anonymous

just removing the girl would make the box awesome, empty street with a lone guy and his vampire shadow.

Fez

Erudite
Don't you know that every healthy male is supposed to lust after anything resembling a school girl? No doubt the cover art of future boxes will just be images of naked school girls in various compromising positions. The titles of all games will be "SEX" or "CUMSHOTZ" or something similar. When you actually install it you'll find out it is a pretty decent TBS with a mecha theme.

I have to say that I don't find the grey slut freak much better on that image either. But it is better drawn at least.

plin

Liturgist
Personally, I'd think the average joe would find those two paintings far more unattractive then the final box art.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Don't lose sight of the issue, its not really whether you find the picture attractive, its whether there's much point in it being there. The way it is, it looks out of place. Ah, well.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Since when was Vampire: Bloodlines a game for the lowest common denominator? It's a niche product, and it should be targetting Vampire fans, of which there are many.

Stark

Liturgist
the girl's in probably upon the insistance of the marketing people.

i'm glad she's in. without her the box would look too empty. (try covering her away and you'll notice how empty the rest of the art is, no matter how cool the shadow logo is)

they could have used one of the pics Exitium posted though. it's much better, and probably sold them more copies no less.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
She just looks totally out of place. It's like someone pasted a clipart of her on a background without bothering to even blend her into it via layering. Someone has no photoshop skills.

Even my stupid signature looks better than that box.

Stark

Liturgist
Exitium said:
She just looks totally out of place. It's like someone pasted a clipart of her on a background without bothering to even blend her into it via layering. Someone has no photoshop skills.

Even my stupid signature looks better than that box.

now that you mention it... your new sig is pretty cool. where did you get that mecha robot thingy? mech warrior?

Troika used to have a pretty good artist that did the ToEE box art, but if I'm not mistaken he left later? A pity.

I've always think the ToEE box art help them sold quite a few copies. Now that is what I call a good box art. It fits the DnD theme very well.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The pose is sexy for me, but the face is abominable. I like the painting Exit posted, but I don't think any marketing department would agree to put that on a box for a game that is supposed to sell LOTS more than 100,000 copies.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm pretty ambivalent to the box art myself - the chick doesn't look particularly sexy or vampiric to me, unless we are supposed to assume that all chicks with tats on their lower backs are vampires.

I agree that the images Extium posted are much better, but Walmart probably won't be putting them on the shelf anytime soon.

Frankly though cover art really doesn't mean a lot unless it is incredibly amateur - most nerds will check out the screen shots on the back of the box if they don't know anything about the game - or at least that's what I used to do 10 years ago before the internet told me everything I needed to know about a title ahead of time.

Stark

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
Frankly though cover art really doesn't mean a lot unless it is incredibly amateur - most nerds will check out the screen shots on the back of the box if they don't know anything about the game - or at least that's what I used to do 10 years ago before the internet told me everything I needed to know about a title ahead of time.

I've always believed Planescape Torment's box art costs them quite alot of sales, despite raving reviews in internet.

for the record I've not picked up Torment either. the cover art looks too... ugly to me then. If they've removed the ugly blue face and put the guy facing a setting sun/city or something (just so the face is not facing you) it might have enticed me to buy then.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Meh. The box art is better - much better - than either of Exitiums' links. The 2nd is of a guy - how gross - and the first, she just isn't as appealing..

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Like I said on troika chronicles, sexy or not, Jeanette simply doesn't fit in. Either get rid of her, or make the rest of it fit in with her somehow. P.S. She's ugly, and what's up with the tatoo over the ass crap? She's got a nice rack though.

And I've somehow felt they should include the symbol of Torment or at least the lady of pain head on the Torment cover. Would look much cooler.

Fez

Erudite
I still don't know why they didn't just get one of the artist to fudge something up for P:T. I remember there were a few fans who made "alternative box art covers" in the hope that they'd take the suggestion.

If it is a plus to you Stark, you'll never ever see that cover image or the model in the entire game, the art is all rendered and touched up in the same ways as BG 1+2.

On the topic though I think that the box would need something if they took the vamp off of it. It is cover art after all, not just something cool for the wall and so it must catch the eye and draw people to it. Near black covers don't tend to do that. Thin and big tits do. Even if she isn't artistically placed.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fez said:
Don't you know that every healthy male is supposed to lust after anything resembling a school girl? No doubt the cover art of future boxes will just be images of naked school girls in various compromising positions. The titles of all games will be "SEX" or "CUMSHOTZ" or something similar. When you actually install it you'll find out it is a pretty decent TBS with a mecha theme.

Well, schoolgirls should probably look a little more lively and not have that nasty blood crap on their chin. Nice ass, I guess, but overall.. I don't find it sexy.

Fez

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, schoolgirls should probably look a little more lively and not have that nasty blood crap on their chin. Nice ass, I guess, but overall.. I don't find it sexy.

You're right of course. The schoorgirl should only have nasty crap on her chin after you've finished, not before.

Maybe she was eating a lollipop and she got all messy? I am sure that is what it was, she looks so innocent.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Fez said:
You're right of course. The schoorgirl should only have nasty crap on her chin after you've finished, not before.

Maybe it was a leftover she forgot to get rid of her? Maybe she's not properly trained in it yet.

Fez

Erudite
That's probably it, she is just so sweet and naive she forgot all about it. I know I was always forgetting the first few times.

rasta_kid

Novice
Very nice box art.

I'd undoubtly atleast pick up the box from the shelf to check it out.

FireWolf

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure if they put their thinking hats on they could come up with something a tad better than just plonking what looks like a heroine whore in a push up bra with a taste for jam sandwiches.

I remember the original V:MR box art. It had the upper face of a vamp. You could tell he was a vamp due to the teeth. Big indicator there. Subtlety seems to be lost in modern box designs.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I don't think I'd qualify elongated canines as subtlety, but that is still preferable to a cover that, with the excpetion of the title, doesn't indicate vampires at all.

Anyone notice how she just seems tacked on? Look at the perspective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom