Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Ivan

Arcane
What are your guys' thoughts on Chalice Dungeons?

On the the one hand, I find it incredibly lazy and boring that all chalices use the same map, and on the other I'm excited whenever new enemies/bosses are introduced.

I think the system could be improved by treating it as an endgame treat for the player (a la the Rainbow Road in Mario). I would hope that each dungeon was handcrafted so then finding harder versions of each wouldn't be a big deal since there'd be more variety in the levels.

Kanedias

Savant
I hate the damn Chalice Dungeons. They're a bore to go through and I need to do them to get the best gems for PvP and upgrade materials. I know some people enjoy them, however.

Another thing about Chalice Dungeons, they weren't actually designed by Miyazaki. I wish they were more handcrafted instead of being endless rooms that look too similar.

It's sad that the game relies on them for replayability.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
One of the main reasons why I just stick w/ PvE, that and I'm not paying for fucking online.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'd happily trade chalice dungeons for one more handcrafted area. They're just not varied or interesting enough to be enjoyable beyond the first few.

Kanedias

Savant
One of the main reasons why I just stick w/ PvE, that and I'm not paying for fucking online.

I thought the PvP was going to be excellent after coming from Dark Souls 2 PvP (which I played for more than a thousand hours) and I bought a year worth of that paid multiplayer crap. I regret it so much, especially since I don't even have Dark Souls 2 SOTFS.

Oh how I love paid online.

bminorkey

I thought the PvP was going to be excellent after coming from Dark Souls 2 PvP (which I played for more than a thousand hours) and I bought a year worth of that paid multiplayer crap. I regret it so much

that was exactly what i thought about dark souls 2 pvp going from 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimlorn

Arcane
still just a rumor but broteam allegedly knows a reliable source who claims it's happening.

I want to believe.

toroid

Arcane
If that's true I'm gonna feel sick. I already spoiled the hell out of that game with all the gameplay streams I watched, because I had decided that I will never own a ps4. There's no point in playing it now. Well, at least I saved xx monies.

Anyways, this can't be possible unless Sony sells publication rights to someone like Namco. Sony has never allowed a game that they had sole ownership over the rights of to be on a platform other than their own. It seems so unlikely that they would loosen their grip on the exclusivity of their greatest ps4 asset.

Ivan

Arcane
Hmm just in time for the expansion to be released. It could be like the PTD edition of Dark Souls.

Grimlorn

Arcane
If that's true I'm gonna feel sick. I already spoiled the hell out of that game with all the gameplay streams I watched, because I had decided that I will never own a ps4. There's no point in playing it now. Well, at least I saved xx monies.

Anyways, this can't be possible unless Sony sells publication rights to someone like Namco. Sony has never allowed a game that they had sole ownership over the rights of to be on a platform other than their own. It seems so unlikely that they would loosen their grip on the exclusivity of their greatest ps4 asset.
Some of the FF games ended up on the PC. It's possible that Sony would do it here. I'm sure other single console exclusive games have ended up on the PC. I just can't remember them all off hand. Valkyria Chrnoicles was a PS3 exclusive that ended up on the PC as well.

toroid

Arcane

Some of the FF games ended up on the PC. It's possible that Sony would do it here. I'm sure other single console exclusive games have ended up on the PC. I just can't remember them all off hand. Valkyria Chrnoicles was a PS3 exclusive that ended up on the PC as well.

Sony doesn't own either the Final Fantasy or the Valkyria Chronicles brand names. They're owned by Square Enix and Sega Corporation, respectively. Sony (SCE) does own Bloodborne.

Check it:
Sony owned franchises and properties
There are games on this list that have been published by companies other than Sony, but that would have been at a time when the game was owned by someone else. Seems like Sony really doesn't like to share.

edit:
After digging through that list I found a game that Sony itself has released on non-Sony platforms: Q*bert

edit again:
Q*bert is owned by Sony Pictures, not Sony Computer Entertainment, so I guess this falls under a different set of circumstances..
Because the game was developed during the period when Columbia Pictures owned Gottlieb, the intellectual rights to Q*bert stayed with Columbia even after they divested themselves of Gottlieb's assets in 1984. Therefore, it is currently a property of Sony Pictures Entertainment when its parent Sony acquired Columbia in 1989. Q*bert appeared in Disney's Wreck-It Ralph, under a license from Sony, and will appear again in the upcoming live-action comedy Pixels in 2015. source

So, I guess I'm still unable to find a game that Sony Computer Entertainment has allowed to be published on a third party platform while being owned by Sony (SCE).

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It won't happen, but just picture the butthurt if they make the DLC a timed PC exclusive like Artorias of the Abyss.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
ITT people take a post from Broteam Pill as a reliable source for a rumor.

Some things never change. Holy fucking shit.

bminorkey

it's a gameplay game not a story game

there's also chalice dungeons and multiplayer and stuff

no reason not to play it

Drakron

Arcane

No because its published by Sony, Demon Souls never ended up on PC and Bloodborne had cooperative development and its entirely published by SCE Japan Studio so it would mean Sony having to give the exclusive away, this is completely different from Final Fantasy that is Square Enix and Valkyria Chrnoicles that is Sega, the closest I can think is Mass Effect as it was published by Microsoft and then made to the PC after BioWare was acquired but EA have a very strong bargaining position.

Dark Souls is actually self published in Japan with Bandai Namco publishing in the rest of the world, you have a higher chance of Demon Souls in the PC that Bloodborne.

toroid

Arcane
it's a gameplay game not a story game

there's also chalice dungeons and multiplayer and stuff

no reason not to play it

It's both story and gameplay. You know that. There are npcs to interact with and stories to be told and rewards to be earned.. and I've already seen it all.

Gameplay can be spoiled too. I don't know whether you value going into a Souls-like game blind or not, but to me it's the most important thing. Without the tension of not knowing what's around the next corner, or seeing new enemies and learning their move sets, or learning level layout and shortcuts, or discovering new weapons and how to use them, or learning the best way through the game, then there's not much point in playing. I've already seen it all. I know where to go and how to kill the bosses. That magical first playthrough is ruined for me, and I can already see that there is not nearly as much potential for replayability as there is in the three Souls games because of the lack of variety in possible character builds (or, at least compared to DeS and DS1. Fuck DS2; as soon as they introduced soul vessels the replayability was made obsolete). I don't even want to play Bloodborne anymore. If I've already had my fill of it, why would multiplayer or chalice dungeons appeal to me? ( and I already know that the chalice dungeons are mostly a waste of time because they don't fit well with the pacing of the game. )

Besides, I know that overall it doesn't really appeal to me because of the limited character builds and the more-or-less fixed combat style, and I don't really care for the hitpoint-bloated bosses. So I'm kinda glad that I'm done with it before actually playing it. I got some of the benefits without paying a dime, and I'm gonna have to settle for that. Though, of course, if those faggots at Sony had announced that it would be coming to pc from the beginning (if the rumor turns out to be true) then I wouldn't have spoiled it for myself.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah guys Sony's totally gonna port their killer app for the PS4 onto the PC mere months after the game's release, some fatass from canada who spends all day tweeting about pizza and his prostate told me so. :M

Ivan

Arcane
This is the only FromSoft game I've finished back to back to back to back to back. The combat feels so much more desperate and loose. Started doing the Chalice Dungeons proper with 1 of my toons and holy shit the Blood Starved Beast has the most annoying instakill grab of all the bosses.

talking about the Ailing Loran Chalice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom