Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
when to start playing the DLC.
I rushed the DLC for the Bowblade, then came back to really attempt it after killing Rom. That felt just about balanced, maybe on the hard side.

It's really worth it for the Ludwig fight but everything after that is kind of blah.
I thought the Innsmouth-like section was pretty great. Toughest fight in the whole game there, too (those fucking sharks down the well). I also like the Orphan of Kos fight, though it's kind of the blueprint for degenerate spammy fights in later From games.
Those sharks hitboxes are pretty bullshit because they last too long in time. I cheesed them with poison knives like a gentleman.

Orphan is the only From Boss I encountered that I didn't beat. It´s too spammy, camera is atrocious, and eventually ran out of Blood Vials and didn't have the motivation to farm for them to beat him. In a game with flasks I would have kept trying.

He was the first of the Nu From bosses metadesigned for pro streamers.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I usually start the DLC when I have a +10 weapon so ya, pretty close to what you describe, shortly before the Wet Nurse fight. I could probably go earlier these days and I am sure many players do but the first few times fighting Ludwig with anything less seemed like masochism.
If you go to the Nightmare Frontier, Cainhurst (and no need to kill either of the bosses) and with what you find in the Hunter's Nightmare before Ludwig, you can have a +8 (or maybe +9, I forgot how many chunks are there) before Rom even, so no reason to wait until you unlock Mensis if you're just aiming for a high weapon level.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I guess I don't need to postpone Nightmare Frontier until the very end... it's just such a frustrating level.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess I don't need to postpone Nightmare Frontier until the very end... it's just such a frustrating level.
Yes, it massively sucks, but there's very little of worth there in reality. Once you learn the route to grab the good stuff it's actually over pretty quickly and only the chunks and the Clockwork Metamorphosis rune are are worth going for if you ask me.

Silva

Arcane
Orphan is the only From Boss I encountered that I didn't beat. It´s too spammy, camera is atrocious, and eventually ran out of Blood Vials and didn't have the motivation to farm for them to beat him. In a game with flasks I would have kept trying.

He was the first of the Nu From bosses metadesigned for pro streamers.
Bruh, you don't kill Orphan? You're a faggot.

Don't give excuses.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ahh... I've forgotten how fun it is. Already worked my way up to Cathedral Ward. I wish the "Central Yharnam" level was twice as long as it is, it's probably my favorite one in all the FS games.

Machocruz

Arcane
Ahh... I've forgotten how fun it is. Already worked my way up to Cathedral Ward. I wish the "Central Yharnam" level was twice as long as it is, it's probably my favorite one in all the FS games.

Super agree. And Central Yharnam-Cathedral Ward-Old Yharnam is just a chef's kiss trifecta of levels, in atmosphere if not design; to experience all that for the first time again....

The game slowly gets less interesting to me from there. But still a triumph.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Playing though Cathedral Ward was much more fun now that I knew the directions. Of course, that's only the part of it that's accessible right now... there's a whole upper area that opens up gradually later in the game... Still feel like there should have been more city proper levels, with narrow streets, knockable doors, etc. Oh well, maybe in the sequel. :lol:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Wanted to do a quick run of Hemwick Channel Lane, ended up also clearing out Old Yharnam, Healing Church Workshop (including platforming my way to the Old Workshop), and even accidentally got nabbed in the streets and made my way to Hypogean Gaol.

The progression is exhilarating when you're not confused as hell as to where you're supposed to go next, and not distracted from the main game by the DLC and chalice dungeons. And also know not to touch the skull in Amelia's bossfight arena, because it's so much nicer to explore these locations in sunlight.

Silva

Arcane
Only shows how DS2 & 3 missed the mark completely by lacking actual hub levels. I'm replaying Sekiro and even it had the good taste of Ashina castle.

P.S: before someone argue, no, Majula and Cemetery of Ash are not hub levels. They're just normal hubs with some enemies scattered around, which is different from a proper, full on level that also acts as a hub.

Elttharion

Learned
So I borrowed a PS5 to play FF16 and wanted to play BB on it to check the better performance and resolution. EXCEPT THAT THE RETARDS NEVER PATCHED THE FUCKING GAME AND APPARENTLY ITS EVEN WORSE ON A PS5. :argh: :argh: :argh: It boils my piss that Sony ignores their only actually good exclusive. They could have got insane sales for this game due to the Elden Ring hype.

The Decline

Arcane
So I borrowed a PS5 to play FF16 and wanted to play BB on it to check the better performance and resolution. EXCEPT THAT THE RETARDS NEVER PATCHED THE FUCKING GAME AND APPARENTLY ITS EVEN WORSE ON A PS5. :argh: :argh: :argh: It boils my piss that Sony ignores their only actually good exclusive. They could have got insane sales for this game due to the Elden Ring hype.

There is progress on this from the hackers at least.

Silva

Arcane
Hard to believe Sony is doing nothing with it. Sony must be prepping a 60fps 4K remaster to be released somewhere down the PS5 cycle.

Elttharion

Learned

There is progress on this from the hackers at least.

Thats good. Unfortunately I cant really mod this ps5 but I will keep this saved for if I end up buying one down the line. Thanks!

Hard to believe Sony is doing nothing with it. Sony must be prepping a 60fps 4K remaster to be released somewhere down the PS5 cycle.
I think they will save this for when they have a big open spot on their release schedule. Maybe some kind of ten year celebration or something. God forbit they make the bluepoint retards remake the game.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
So the unopenable hatch in Byrgenwerth was originally supposed to lead to Lecture Hall, right? Did they just run out of time to properly integrate these areas together, and put them as standalone "nightmare" levels that just exist in a vacuum?

Or, possibly, the hatch was supposed to lead to a Pthumerian labyrinth, an actual main-game level, as opposed to the shitty random-generated chalice dungeons. Or both. The place just feels... too small, for what it's supposed to be.

And accessing Nightmare Frontier/Nightmare of Mensis from a thematically-unrelated Lecture Hall level 1/2 seems awkward. I sense a last-minute rearrangement.

I think I've already speculated on this the last time I played it. Not my fault that the game is so good, it makes me want to imagine designing and licking it as well.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Lovely Gothic horror atmosphere at Cainhurst castle, once again I was wishing the level was twice as long as it really is.

And then there's Forbidden Woods...

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I should say that I somewhat enjoy their approach to checkpoints (lamps), where they put ONE (1) at the start of each level, and that's all you get until you beat the boss. However, a mandatory lamp that spawns as soon as you beat the boss is decline. There's only a couple of those that are actually useful (like Cleric Beast). All the other ones are either near the beginning of the next level and thus obsolete, or at the end of a dead-end path you never need to come back to.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ugh, Nightmare Frontier. I remember the game quite well, and I still felt frustrated with most of this level. Amygdala went down in less than a minute on first attempt though, I was over-prepared for that fight after battling a copy of this boss in the chalice dungeons on the previous run.

Edit: Rom, otoh, took five tries this time. I remember not even realizing that this is a real bossfight the first time I played it... now I was forced to clear out some of the lesser spiders because they kept killing me. What does this bode for the inevitable encounter with Kos?

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Upper Cathedral Ward is probably the most atmospheric area in the entire game. They even added an unnerving soundtrack to it... usually areas have no music at all. Hypogean Gaol comes close with its ominous Latin chanting.

Having trouble with Ebrietas, though... I think I killed it first attempt on my first run... this does not bode well for Ludwig and Orphan of Kos.

cruel

Cipher
Ebrietas was in the top 3 of the most difficult bosses for me, next to Martyr Logarius and cursed chalice Amygdala. Surprisingly, I had no issues with Orphan, but I was possibly over leveled a ton after going through all the Chalice Dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom