Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood West - immersive stealth horror FPS set in a wicked Wild West

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game finally flows well when you can afford to buy non shitty weapon. Maining a rifle and a knife for secondary, and i dont die in few seconds in combat anymore it started getting fun. The enemy respawning also became less annoying and they just became resources. The enemies are pretty fun too. 5 ish hours in.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,once you get a good rifle and the knife the game became nice...too easy even.

A few pointers tho.

Even a cheap rifle is better than the pistol,get the magic knife from the shaman,sneak is pretty powerful. Also get the artefact that keeps the enemy dead from the safe in the fort. Also use tab for looting,it shows item that your character see.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Finished the game. The last area started to drag and the gameplay overstayed its welcome.

All three bosses were kind of bad, and the game is easier than people would have you believe. It was also dark as fuck all the time, gave me eye strain and I had to bump up the brightness.

That being said, the exploration is great and looting around is very satisfying. The gunplay isn't great but each enemy requires a different tactic to them (although shotgun to the face works most of the time).

This is a game that's at home in the 90s, and that's a high compliment these days. Very much recommended if you like western-themed Thief + Dark Souls.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So i got to act 2 and was pretty surprised they are putting more weapon types and some new mechanics like the bush hiding perk.

All new enemies too (i know most are pallete swap, but how they fight is different).

This game is exactly what i wanted from the "is there a slower paced fps" thread i made 2 years ago. Rudimentary, but satisfying stealth, can go guns blazing if you want, but it's not as fast as boomer shooter, and plenty of exploration to be had. Like when i got the unique long shotgun in act 1 was really satisfying.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm in love. I wanted to try the game and I could not stop playing for the last 2 days. It took me 14 hours to finish the first 2 chapters (ocd). I had a peek into chapter 3 and I gtfo :) I need a pause anyway.

The gameworld design reminds me more of Gothic than Thief: handcrafted areas, hand placed loot, secrets everywhere, the roaming creatures. The dogs eat other dead dogs like scavengers in Gothic. Overall the exploration is excellent.

The atmosphere is more Thief than Gothic, especially when using stealth. As with Thief the world starts to grow on you and there are spooky moments. Good moments but I will not spoil them.

However I went the gunslinger way because the mobs respawn too much. It feels good, it feels tactical in the same way old immersive sims felt. There were a couple of issues with the hitboxes but the weapons are so satisfying. Not to mention the gore.

Simply put, this game has no right to be as good as it is. It reeks of old design but it doesn't matter if it works. No fillers, just gameplay. I love it.

Just look at these screens: they are not graphically impressive but they feel like taken from a 90's game :)

E81D6A2BFE67AE1E81B22AD5699FCFCDB76155A2

66336DD0836AD1682B493B52FCD1B41BCFF47DF2

76CC4BAA1D9421E9DE56378E8B4BCEDD095A6AC8

DD3F764AFD1164D0934FEA443D68C86758FECCE8

[Minor spoiler] Some stupid quest from chapter 2 but it made me laugh :)

E754365495BB3D84FFF137075AC250113DAA241C

3242CB8FF134C5D4943761F29A09979DFFB141CD

DA11F376896215BD7C1C91C36E4D589B84A2025A

[Major spoiler] Best weapons for chapter 2. The chapter boss was critically hit for like 20% of his health :D

D5BAAF3020C8416A5B2AB118AFE65096D28E24C6

C647092B6A4331CE45DCE969A6C9581170B41518

272A089761A0BA356666F584A2E672CD0FEBD551

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How are the stealth mechanics in this game?
Not on par with Thief but pretty good.

You have a light bar which fills when at least one mob sees you or hears you. The mob is alerted once the bar is filled.

Other than this, you can scout, stalk and silently takedown the mobs. It's the classic stealth gameplay however a little bit streamlined.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yeah, it's pretty rudimentary, but still pretty good. Unlike thief where you have to take account for lights, the tile you are stepping on, etc it's only vision cone and sound which iirc isnt affected whether you are on soil, wood or anything else but it works for the purpose of this game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, it's pretty rudimentary, but still pretty good. Unlike thief where you have to take account for lights, the tile you are stepping on, etc it's only vision cone and sound which iirc isnt affected whether you are on soil, wood or anything else but it works for the purpose of this game.
Actually the sounds is diferent when you walk on different surfaces but it makes no difference when you are stealthing.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How are the stealth mechanics in this game?
Not on par with Thief but pretty good.

You have a light bar which fills when at least one mob sees you or hears you. The mob is alerted once the bar is filled.

Other than this, you can scout, stalk and silently takedown the mobs. It's the classic stealth gameplay however a little bit streamlined.
One more comment: this is not a stealth game like Thief therefore don't buy it thinking that you will have the same experience as Thief. You will not, combat is not optional in this game. There are locations you cannot ghost.

The game is more like a combination between Thief, Stalker and Hunt: The Showdown. I did not play the latter but that seems to be the closest thing to this game. Also sometimes it feels like Call of Juarez but really, this game is a mixture of many things taken from other games.

The Bloodsucker from Stalker appears in chapter 3. It's the same but different :D

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished it. 21 hours but I've checked everything I could and I think 1 hour was lost afk.

My build was a walking cannon but the nice thing is that you can actually have different but viable builds: melee, bow, tomahawk.

It's a solid good game. It cost me 10 potatoes during the last steam fest but it's worth every penny.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. This was such a pleasant surprise. A small gem of a game.

[last chapter spoiler]

88AF756FE9ED26D2369B0A7F714FCE5BB788073B

002134CE0CA028CDB8545A0BB7A95D0FFA32E154

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Fun fact, it has choice and consequences! Well, at least one.

I didn't bother to cure the madame from chapter 2 and she shows up in chapter 3 as a recurring enemy!

Tugged on my heartstrings a little since she is the most likable bonfire character.

Also giant tits help.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I didn't bother to cure the madame from chapter 2 and she shows up in chapter 3 as a recurring enemy!

Tugged on my heartstrings a little since she is the most likable bonfire character.

Also giant tits help.
Are you saying that you are in to hunchback puss ridden degenerate thiefs ?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Also giant tits help.
Are you saying that you are in to hunchback puss ridden degenerate thiefs ?

Didn't help either of them, mostly because I was too lazy to do the quest.

I'm here to kill things and loot treasure, not help people.

Trithne

Erudite
So I've been tinkering about in the game, looking to decouple sneaking from crouching because I'm sick of every stealth game requiring me to play a hobbit.

u32rAUz.png

Based on what I've seen, it looks like there's a randomiser mode in the works.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I've been tinkering about in the game, looking to decouple sneaking from crouching because I'm sick of every stealth game requiring me to play a hobbit.
Normally I don't go in much for modding if the vanilla game is good ........ but this is a hill I want to fight on.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finished chapter 2. the map is amazing. great atmosphere with great location, map 1 feels boring compared to it. the cultist cave, the fort, the town are all very interesting.

the boss is still bad. the bosses are bad so far IMO, but that's fine.

Ivan

Arcane
I've also rolled credits and would like to share some thoughts. Firstly, I highly recommend this title, especially if you're a fan of STALKER and Betrayer. It captures that STALKER feel of scrounging for resources as you explore a hostile world, learn the new enemies, and solidify your general playstyle. I did find the game become weaker the stronger you got, so about halfway through the 2nd hub, I felt like I was breezing by. By the time the 3rd hub came around, I was left craving more survival mechanics (weapon durability, shopkeeper services to spend money on, perhaps some light item crafting since enemies drop so many resources) I still enjoyed myself in hubs 2 and 3, but by the halfway point of hub 2 I felt like I was the danger, not so much the world anymore. Heck, the game even awarded me a cheevo for not dying at all in chapter 3, which I think speaks to the game's difficulty and how it plateaus in chapter 2. I think harsher survival mechanics would have helped alleviate that feeling. I was frugal in my playthrough and bought a ridiculously powerful gun in hub 3 that managed to 2 shot the final boss. Pretty lulzy. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this dev and hope they keep producing excellent titles like this one.

TLDR: captures that STALKER feel, but left me craving harsher survival mechanics, more uses for money/resources, but nonetheless an excellent experience that scratches a pretty niche itch

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I'm in love. I wanted to try the game and I could not stop playing for the last 2 days. It took me 14 hours to finish the first 2 chapters (ocd). I had a peek into chapter 3 and I gtfo :) I need a pause anyway.

The gameworld design reminds me more of Gothic than Thief: handcrafted areas, hand placed loot, secrets everywhere, the roaming creatures. The dogs eat other dead dogs like scavengers in Gothic. Overall the exploration is excellent.

The atmosphere is more Thief than Gothic, especially when using stealth. As with Thief the world starts to grow on you and there are spooky moments. Good moments but I will not spoil them.

However I went the gunslinger way because the mobs respawn too much. It feels good, it feels tactical in the same way old immersive sims felt. There were a couple of issues with the hitboxes but the weapons are so satisfying. Not to mention the gore.

Simply put, this game has no right to be as good as it is. It reeks of old design but it doesn't matter if it works. No fillers, just gameplay. I love it.

Just look at these screens: they are not graphically impressive but they feel like taken from a 90's game :)
...that is some seriously hefty praise. Name dropping Thief and Gothic in the same post.

I might have to give this a shot.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom