Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood Bowl release: 26th of june

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People who pre-ordered got the game last night. Anyone have it?

Shuma

Scholar
I got it last night and tried out a few games. So far the AI seems a bit weak, dodging and using all sorts of unnecessary dice rolls. Still, the Humans did attempt to cage up a run on my Woodies, but it failed miserably due to losing out on the bashing war. They love to dodge and set up receivers downfield, but don't do enough to secure a good passing lane to actually get the ball to those receivers. However, overall I think the AI is a minor concern as I'm sure most people will be scrambling to play in online leagues.

Personally, I'd mostly like to play with people I know and trust considering all the crappy things you can do in BB to play dirty (excess fouling, cherry picking opponents, etc.). I think the leagues will be the best place to go once you find a good one. Obviously competition will be top-notch and hopefully sportsmanship issues can be resolved.

As for the game itself, the commentators are weak, definitely worse than Chaos-League. Music for the pre-game menus is extremely repetitive and overly dramatic (perfect for the trailer, terrible to listen to repeatedly). The interface for team and player building seem more difficult to use than they should be. However, there are quite a few customization options open to you to make your team feel unique, analogous to painting minis. The gameplay choices seem good so far, you can make a league or play through a campaign mode where you run your team through a gauntlet of increasingly tough teams.

There are also rules variations if you want something different than LRB 5.0. I tried out real-time mode and it seemed silly, but I'm a TT diehard so there's probably no pleasing me in this case. It's very early though, I haven't had much time to play but I like the strict adherence to the new ruleset and hopefully the major missing teams will be coming out soon. More to follow (maybe even a BB LP). :P

Mnemon

Educated
There's always www.fumbbl.com of course. Been around since 6 years now, has a good and well managed community. Plus someone is finally developing a lrb5 client, too. No fancy graphics, though, no console kiddies, and people that can actually play. Mostly.

Shuma

Scholar
Mnemon said:
There's always www.fumbbl.com of course. Been around since 6 years now, has a good and well managed community. Plus someone is finally developing a lrb5 client, too. No fancy graphics, though, no console kiddies, and people that can actually play. Mostly.[/size]

Let's see what happens when it actually gets finished. I like fumbbl and all, but it's always been a partial ruleset with virtually no developer support, though I know that's changed recently. Here's hoping it goes well for them.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I got it.

Real time is pretty much just like Chaos League, though it seems harder to hurt players on purpose.

My human team in real time can usually beat teams 15 to 0, but it is a different tale on turn based. Turn based I am lucky to get a single score. Injuries seem MUCH more frequent and much more severe.

Turn based is supposed to be like the board game, but I haven't played the board game in 15 or 20 years. I do like it though.

Here is a basic run down:

Real Time:
Gameplay is similar to Chaos League
Injuries don't seem to be as frequent.
Players age. Players can roughly play about 25 to 30 matches barring serious injury.
Players gain SSP (think XP) and level up. At level up they roll a die and based on that die they can either purchase skills or gain a stat boost.
You can buy veteran and star level gear for your players, but it wear out over time.
You can train your players before the game, but they risk injury if you push them too hard.
There are a LOT more inducements this time around.

Turn based:
Gameplay is like the boardgame. Max of 16 turns, though riots can shorten or extend this.
Injuries, especially fatal injuries seem more frequent.
Players do not age.
Players level up like they do in real time, only slower.
Players do not get to buy gear.

I actually like turn based more, but it does seem to suffer from the computer AI hitting the 'I Win' button when the chips are down.

I am thinking of doing a LP based on you miscreants here on the Codex this weekend.

skyway

Educated
"Obsidian is Anthony Davis's first gameplay programming job. Having worked for Netscape and AOL, he sees some profound differences in the way things are handled at Obsidian. Again, the open communication is a big part of creating a friendly work environment that encourages people to work their hardest. Anthony also points out that Obsidian's strenuous interview process ensures that they don't hire jerks."

What did you do at AOL?

Anthony Davis said:
I actually like turn based more, but it does seem to suffer from the computer AI hitting the 'I Win' button when the chips are down.

Doing the what? Bah, it's not like you can expect being challenged by an AI in Blood Bowl anyway.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Anthony Davis said:

Doing the what? Bah, it's not like you can expect being challenged by an AI in Blood Bowl anyway.

The 'I Win' button. In other words, the computer's player will be almost completely surrounded, but he will roll like mad to knock someone down, possibly killing them, then successfully dodge every tackle zone, and then run it in by making all of his 'go for it' rolls.

Meanwhile, my first roll of the turn will seem to end with a horrific injury to one of my players. :)

I actually thought the AI was pretty good, he keeps his ball carriers well protected in turn based mode. It is real time mode where the AI suffers.

Anyway, good game.

Imbecile

Arbiter
skyway said:
What did you do at AOL?

Come on, you can do better than that. You're not even trying - Skyway would never be that civil.

Actually thats an idea. You should be as friendly, agreeable and subservient as possible. It could ruin Skyways reputation for good, and drive him to unprecedented acts of whinging.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
skyway said:
"Obsidian is Anthony Davis's first gameplay programming job. Having worked for Netscape and AOL, he sees some profound differences in the way things are handled at Obsidian. Again, the open communication is a big part of creating a friendly work environment that encourages people to work their hardest. Anthony also points out that Obsidian's strenuous interview process ensures that they don't hire jerks."

What did you do at AOL?

I worked for Netscape on the Web Browser team and I ended up working for AOL when AOL bought Netscape.

Anthony Davis said:
The 'I Win' button. In other words, the computer's player will be almost completely surrounded, but he will roll like mad to knock someone down, possibly killing them, then successfully dodge every tackle zone, and then run it in by making all of his 'go for it' rolls.

Are you sure that's not just ordinary luck? I have seen that kind of thing happen in table-top many, many times.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Anthony Davis said:

Are you sure that's not just ordinary luck? I have seen that kind of thing happen in table-top many, many times.

Of course it is possible, but I only played three board games, only one to completion and my admittedly anectodatal evidence suggests that sometimes the AI really, really wants a touchdown.

One of the things I missed from Chaos League, is the ability to repeatedly stomp on an opposing player. Say, close to the end of the game. I would just have everyone go hog wild while I kept two players tackling the Ref till the game was over. I've come very close to killing an entire team that way.

In real-time mode on Blood Bowl, you get one hit and that's hit for some unknown amount of time. In turn based mode, it seems like you can only do it once per turn.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
I am thinking of doing a LP based on you miscreants here on the Codex this weekend.
Plz do. I'm thinking of buying it but would like to see what it has to offer first.

skyway

Educated
Imbecile said:
skyway said:
What did you do at AOL?

Come on, you can do better than that. You're not even trying - Skyway would never be that civil.

I am in awe about his Endurance stat. But:

Metalcraze - there is shit in the toilet! *2 pages novel about how shit is shit*
skyway - something smells funny in here...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New patch on thursday:

[UPDATE] 1.0.1.8 PATCH (SEPTEMBER 24TH) COMING

Postby SeleniA on Today, 10:48

GAMEPLAY

- Blitz!: Stuns caused during Blitz! are not discounted anymore.
- Campaign: Playing teams are now more randomly selected.
- Dice Modifiers: Some modifiers were not properly applied.
- Fan Factor: Fan Factor variation is now properly computed.
- Go For It: A Go For It was rolled for the second block of Frenzy when
this move was the last movement available.
- Go For It: Was not properly rolled when doing a Hand-off.
- Interception: An interceptor must be closer to the thrower than the
thrower is to the target player/square of the pass, and closer to the
target player/square of the pass than the thrower is to the target
player/square of the pass.
- MVP: Players not available to play will not be eligible for MVP anymore.
- Placement: It is now impossible to swap a character in reserve with an
opponent.
- Save: Saved games at turn 16 will not add an extra turn anymore when
loaded.
- Simulation: Players with No Hands should not earn
Pass/TD/Interceptions SPP anymore.
- Touchback: Can now give the ball to a team-mate in the opponent side
after a Quick Snap event.
- Touchback: AI will not give the ball to a player with No Hands anymore.

GUI

- Lobby Chat: Blacklisted players' messages will not appear anymore.
- Lobby Chat: Will not return to foot of page anymore when receiving
messages from other players.
- Petty Cash: Team values of both team are now displayed.
- Placement: Fixed a loss of input when placement timeout occured.
- Post Match: Fan Factor rolls are now displayed.
- SPP: Are now displayed on the player sheet.
- Turn Marker: Each team now has its own turn marker.

TEAMS

- Armours: Beastmen armours' prices have been updated.
- Armours: Buff probability of all armours are now properly used.
- Default teams: Now have correct team value.
- Goblin Fanatic: Now moves one square at a time, but is forced to spend
his whole movement.
- Goblin Fanatic: Doesn't earn SPP anymore when knocking down players of
his team or when injuring already down characters.
- Goblin Fanatic: Now Turnover happens when knocking down a team-mate.
- Goblin Looney: Will not get up anymore when failing a Dodge.
- Goblin Pogoer: Now has MA 7.
- Star Player Slibli: Now has AGI 1.
- Star Players: A Star Player will not play anymore if induced by both team.

SKILLS

- Chainsaw: A player dodging next to a character with Chainsaw is not
hurt anymore by the chainsaw.
- Diving Tackle: fixed a bug where ball carrier was knocked down with
the ball.
- Diving Tackle: A dodge roll could be re-rolled twice.
- Dump-Off: Timer fixed. Hail Mary Pass can not be used anymore during
Dump-Off. Player that failed Really Stupid Roll are notre prompted
anymore to use Dump-Off.
- Hail Mary Pass: Can now be used to launch the ball at a greater
distance than Bomb.
- Horns: It now works correctly, even combined with Frenzy.
- Mighty Blow: It is now used to break armour only when needed, and is
counted when re-rolling with Piling On.
- Pass Block: A player using Pass Block does not have to roll for a
negative skill before to move (Really Stupid, Bone Head, Wild Animal and
Take Root).
- Pro: can be used during the opponent turn to re-roll Tentacles and
Shadowing. When you fail pro, dice is not re-rolled anymore.
- Really Stupid: A player with the Skill Really Stupid does not give a
bonus anymore to a player rolling for Really Stupid.
- Right Stuff: The player with this skill may now take its turn if he is
thrown before he has moved and fails to land but is uninjured
- Shadowing: Player should now be able to throw a Block next turn.
- Throw Team-Mate: Passing skills are now used.
- Stand Firm: Doesn't work anymore when the player is Prone.
- Very Long Legs: It now prevents the use of Safe Throw.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
WTF

Patch delayed until Tuesday.

Here's a screenshot of some of the GUI changes:
44180497.jpg

Mantiis

Cipher
Why is there 2 turn counters top right? Apart from that I can't tell what else has changed.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Mantiis said:
Why is there 2 turn counters top right? Apart from that I can't tell what else has changed.

So you can tell whose turn 16 it is. The DS version has separate turn counters, so I don't know why they didn't have it initially in the PC version.

The other obvious change is showing the player's SPP when you select them.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Two useless changes it seems. I'm more interested in gameplay fixes.

Am I the only one expecting some kind of expansion? (gosh, maybe the first DLC I would actually purchase)

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
And after that the rest of the races, and then a similar adaptation for Necromunda.

Mantiis

Cipher
Abraxas said:
And after that the rest of the races, and then a similar adaptation for Necromunda.

Actually I would just be happy with Necromunda

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Mantiis said:
Actually I would just be happy with Necromunda

Yeah, me too, if forced to choose I would prefer a Necromunda game over more races for BB. Don't know what the chances are, few I suppose, though Blood Bowl is a good precedent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom