Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blizzard Scraps Planned Diablo 3 PvP Mode

DraQ

Arcane
Well, that's like criticising Einstein for making shitty physics contributions.

Only in your deluded mind. They haven't made a decent game since WC3 ten years ago.
Make it D2 and it was still only good for multi. A popular game but not exactly a very good one. Sort of like oblivion, only less.

ColCol

Arcane
damn this sucks. I was looking forward to not playing it.

Well, that's like criticising Einstein for making shitty physics contributions.

:retarded:

Rake

Arcane
Well,there were rumors that Vivendi wants to sell Activision Blizzard as they start to consider the whole gaming intustry is getting unstable. That does not mean that Activision is going to collapse overnight. There will be no WoW killer. As ToR indicates, MMORPGs don't sell as much as they used to. WoW is the only one who uses subscriptions any more and even that is in slow decline. It will keep declining along the others until the whole MMORPG genre is dead or F2P.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Let me get this right - the company that owns Activision Blizzard, a developer which consistently beats its own sales targets of 10+ million on a yearly basis, and which has a proven track record of playing it safe with every single release, thinks the games industry is too unstable?

Obviously they would want an ungodly amount of money to sell it off. But executives aren't known for making good decisions (see CoH getting downed for no reason), and the games industry IS quite unstable (see EA being taken to the cleaners for 2 or 3 poorly received games from one of it's child companies, out of the dozens of games they put out every year).

aris

Arcane
Let me get this right - the company that owns Activision Blizzard, a developer which consistently beats its own sales targets of 10+ million on a yearly basis, and which has a proven track record of playing it safe with every single release, thinks the games industry is too unstable?
Sure, in a world where Bioware and Blizzard is on the brink of bankruptcy, everything is unstable! The direction of gravity might turn any day now!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously they would want an ungodly amount of money to sell it off. But executives aren't known for making good decisions (see CoH getting downed for no reason), and the games industry IS quite unstable (see EA being taken to the cleaners for 2 or 3 poorly received games from one of it's child companies, out of the dozens of games they put out every year).

...one of which was probably the most highly budgeted game in history, mind you.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm not sure what proportion of Activision Blizzard's revenue is WoW derived, but I would assume it is high. If Vivendi believes that 1) WoW will consistently lose subscribers (which is reasonable) and 2) that the MMO market is saturated enough that no single game can achieve the insane market share of WoW in the future (which is also reasonable), then the market will get significantly more uncertain for Activision Blizzard. They will lose the consistent predictable revenue of WoW and be forced to replace it with either an as yet unidentified subscription based product or the far more unreliable revenue gained from sales.

It seems pretty safe to assume that in a sale of Activision Blizzard, the price Vivendi could get would be driven higher by a large subscriber base than even consistently high sales generating comparable revenue. Since its more likely that this value would decrease over time as the subscriber base shrinks, if the potential money lost through this decrease in acquisition price is greater than the expected revenue, then a sale of the company could make sense even if Vivendi thinks it will be consistently profitable.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They don't. Activision killed Guitar Hero, and they have plenty of failed releases. CoD sells as fast as they can print the disks, but not everything they sell does well.

DraQ

Arcane
They don't. Activision killed Guitar Hero, and they have plenty of failed releases. CoD sells as fast as they can print the disks, but not everything they sell does well.
I've been wondering, out of pure, academic curiosity - how radioactive would you have to make CoD CDs to kill sizable percentage of their players reasonably fast?

*pets white cat*

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They killed it after they over-saturated the market with so many sequels/rehashes that it pretty much killed the genre. Of course, every audience will eventually get tired of the same thing, especially with annual releases, but they're gonna milk that trend for as long as they humanly can.

St. Toxic

Arcane
That's beside the point. The important thing is, without Blizzard we wouldn't know about relativity. Too bad their poor economy is going to shut them down any day now.

Angthoron

Arcane
I've been wondering, out of pure, academic curiosity - how radioactive would you have to make CoD CDs to kill sizable percentage of their players reasonably fast?

*pets white cat*
Just lace their Doritos with powdered Mentos, so their bellies would explode as they sip the MTN DEW. EXTREME COLLECTOR EDITION SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKS.

*pets white cat*

Reasonably fast vs. slowly and painfully, which is better and why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom