Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Blizzard North closes

Atrokkus

Erudite
But there's strategy in Diablo? I guess there's strategy in everything then. Hmm? Which monster should I click next? Which weapon should I use next?
Have you actually played in BNet? Or past your singleplayer normal difficulty?
Without good character planning you're fucked.
Of course, it doesn't make it a strategy game (just liike it doesn't make all RPG strategies), but still.
So, yeah, prolly that'll be more like RPG element.
Anyways, don't really like enclosing something in tight genre frame.
Since it's not really action, too. I mean you have to move your character a lot (evading missiles etc),but the actual hitting stuff doesn't get affected by your reflexes: it's PURELY stat-based.

corvax

Augur
mEtaLL1x said:
RPG? Diablo is no RPG, and never was.
Diablo is a strategy-action-game.

mEtaLL1x said:
Have you actually played in BNet? Or past your singleplayer normal difficulty?
Without good character planning you're fucked.
Of course, it doesn't make it a strategy game (just liike it doesn't make all RPG strategies), but still.
So, yeah, prolly that'll be more like RPG element.
:?: :roll:

Anyways, don't really like enclosing something in tight genre frame.
Since it's not really action, too. I mean you have to move your character a lot (evading missiles etc),but the actual hitting stuff doesn't get affected by your reflexes: it's PURELY stat-based.
That's why it's an action-rpg.

corvax

Augur
So according to what you said Diablo is: A Strategy-Action game that's not really Strategy, more like a game with RPG elements but not really an RPG and not really an Action game either. It's all clear now.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Actually, you are right.
Because you can't set a definite genre classification.
It's like saying Metallica is pure hard rock. Well fuck that, it's also thrash, it's even a lil blues, and even country. How can you then identify the genre of the band? You can't.

Same with Diablo. It's just DIABLO, that's enough for me.

The only thing that I can say for sure, is that it's NOT true RPG. That's obvious.
And again, some people might disagree.

Genre classification is just way too blurry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom