Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Blizzard game director apologizes following hyper-sexualization debacle

He's apologizing because the Tumblr crowd made a ruckus. Better to (pretend to) bow down to their whims than to resist, you can't win against fanatics anyway.
Best way to go is to ingore(or ridicule) them. There were always plenty of morons around. The problem is, that in the modern decadent west people take them seriously.

Like you say, people take those guys seriously, so ignoring is not a good idea. See what happened here, the guy in the interview replied with the equivalent of "cool story, bro" and an avalanche of whining ensued. Ignoring them will just cause them to scream louder and louder so more and more people come to see what's going on. Better to just give the standard 'we are totes sorry about our previous statement" megacorp fauxcuse to shut them up.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Engineering fake outrage has nothing to do with them wanting to confront serious issues, it's all cynical hit gathering.

This is preferable to them actually being serious about it.

It is preferable. Being Dutch myself I’m not familiar with the blanket of stifling political correctness that seems to permeate the Anglo-Saxon world. What RPS does here just feels too cynical to me. If you start to create issues out of nothing you’re either doing it because you’re one hell of a creepy fanatic or you want to stir up shit. Seeing them repeat the pattern constantly without ever engaging in any meaningful discourse, instead preferring to play the shocked, nay, appalled onlooker, I’m leaning towards the latter.

And it’s cunts like this that then do more damage to the chosen issues through their belligerence than any half-dressed pixel lady can.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hypersexualization:
heroes-of-the-storm.jpg

Are we dealing with the Taliban or progressive l1berals here?

And there's difference between the two? both are Puritan assholes with no sense of humuor and appreciation for fine sides of life including the beauty of Creation.

Either you ask for more realism in character designs or you GTFO. Those are the only acceptable ways to approach the topic. Crying on your keyboard and reading Jezebel are not.

This would be Politically Incorrect Comrade and those types care about adherence to their ideology more than reality; This pic for example; Warrior with stick thin arms and -40% to strength? Really?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Has Blizzard apologized for Diablo 3?
I havent been keeping up but it offended me as a gamer.

They've admitted they fucked it up, but I don't think they ever said sorry or whatever. They also refuse to remove the online requirement, despite console versions not having it, because "we want you to play with others!"

DeepOcean

Arcane

They've admitted they fucked it up, but I don't think they ever said sorry or whatever. They also refuse to remove the online requirement, despite console versions not having it, because "we want you to play with others!"

"we want you to play with others!" We want that so much that they needed to force us to do so, Blizzard and it's lame excuses.:roll: Whatever, I think an apology won't solve the fact that WoW corroded their brains anyway.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wonder if others will be so eager to be interviewed by RPS now. Some good might come of this yet.

Came in expecting to disagree with the Blizzard guy but I agree with him.

While apologising is the right move from a corporate standpoint it just isn't from an ideological one. It's actually refreshing seeing a large developer (trying) to stick to their own grounded ideologies instead of trying to over-inflate their social importance or pander to these social movements like everyone else seems to be doing these days. These people (RPS, the people getting upset) have no concept of ideologies other than their own though

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, I like RPS as a gamming site but I was forced to seek alternatives because I didn't wanted to support this faggotry. They lecture other people about shit that they don't even know what they are talking about. Looking people in a sexualized way is unavoidable as we are mammals, men do it all the time and women as well unless you are really insecure about your sexuality and wanted to be a tranny, so you have a problem about it.A men drawing a woman in a sexy way? My! God!I never seen such a thing, it must be only those perverts in the gamming industry that do it, the world will end, this is almost a virtual rape against the floating virtual matter of the women's collective that is floating in the space.:lol: I'm surprised that feminist and their lap dogs rediscovered puritanism.Next fashion, if women are not using Burkas, they are being exploited.:lol:

Lhynn

Arcane
Man, of all the threads im expecting to find Roguey in... and shes nowhere to be seen.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
This isn't really a question of whether it is acceptable or unavoidable to portray some characters in specific ways. They're completely fictional and virtual, they don't think and don't have dignity or feelings, so the designer can portray them however the fuck he wants. This shouldn't offend anyone that is not offended by said characters getting brutally beaten to death with arrows, axes, lightning bolts, flames, ice shards, dragons, hammers etc.

RPS's sensationalistic, antagonizing interview tactics are very apparent here. Luckily I don't read RPS on a regular basis nor do I care what they think, and neither should developers. The MOBA characters could literally all be abstract gray cubes spewing numbers out of them but I guess that wouldn't attract many people to the game.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Man, I like RPS as a gamming site but I was forced to seek alternatives because I didn't wanted to support this faggotry.
Yes, Rock Paper Shotgun articles are a pretty good read when they're not whining over how HYPERSEXUALIZATION in games is SUCH A BIG PROBLEM.

potatojohn

Arcane
Once again RPGCodex shows us that the best way to deal with clickbait trolls is to make an enormous thread about it, because as well all know, the last thing trolls that get paid by ad impressions want is attention.

Lhynn

Arcane
This isn't really a question of whether it is acceptable or unavoidable to portray some characters in specific ways. They're completely fictional and virtual, they don't think and don't have dignity or feelings, so the designer can portray them however the fuck he wants. This shouldn't offend anyone that is not offended by said characters getting brutally beaten to death with arrows, axes, lightning bolts, flames, ice shards, dragons, hammers etc.

RPS's sensationalistic, antagonizing interview tactics are very apparent here. Luckily I don't read RPS on a regular basis nor do I care what they think, and neither should developers. The MOBA characters could literally all be abstract gray cubes spewing numbers out of them but I guess that wouldn't attract many people to the game.

To put it simply, it gets fucking old man. I want variety, sexualization is just an complain/excuse to say "fucking tired of this shit, make characters i can relate to".

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that people at RPS have been drinking some weird pills they found in bathroom but failed their reading check.

hqdefault.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
To put it simply, it gets fucking old man. I want variety, sexualization is just an complain/excuse to say "fucking tired of this shit, make characters i can relate to".

Good luck with that. The Game Industry doesn't even showcase the variety within the subset of "beautiful" people. Emily Blunt , Christina Hendricks, and Vanessa Hudgens are all attractive women, imo. Game artists, though, only seem to recognize Emily's legs and waist, Christina's chest, and Vanessa's hip-waist ratio

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
But was it going feature tastefully done rape? Is there any chance that a defeated male character would find himself bound and raped by these hypersexualized female characters? Would he be forced to lick 10 cunts one after another? Because if not, I think it isn't enough sex to sell the game to me. Actually, I'd call it false advertisement.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

They apologized during the beta for muslims and went on their way to change one book texture to be less offensive.

Disgruntled

Savant
They apologized during the beta for muslims and went on their way to change one book texture to be less offensive.

Muslims and feminists dictating billion dollar companies.
Hardcore gamers are a minority too, we deserve some social justice.:rpgcodex:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Hypersexualization:
heroes-of-the-storm.jpg

Are we dealing with the Taliban or progressive l1berals here?

Yeah man, because it's not like Nova was originally sexualized or anything, right? God these SJW idiots get on my nerves, especially when they have some sway like RPS does. The moment you expose some skin they go apeshit alert mode for some reason.

MZA2scN.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom