Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Blizzard Entertainment 20-Year Anniversary

Project: Eternity
Yeesh said:
Let me see if I can make this clear. Value is a separate question... ...don't get their money's worth out of WoW.
This is a valid point and I do believe that you are correct in this circumstance, but you still have not told me why WoW is a good game, nor what criteria by which it is judged. I am curious: I would like to enjoy WoW, and knowing exactly the elements that make it such a damn fine game would greatly contribute to my respect for it. Some of my friends play WoW, and I screwed around with it for awhile, but I was very, very bored by level 30. What makes WoW good? Were there any gems that I missed? I was impressed by the cohesive world, and I found it fun to run a little private server without any enemies/etc and just wander around in (for awhile), but WoW's gameplay is *extremely* dull, as far as I've seen. Why ISN'T it dull? Judge it as a single-player RPG or as an MMORPG, you still need to tell me why it's a good game. And knowing the criteria for what makes an MMORPG "good" would be nice, too.

Bigot_

Novice
I stopped playing MMOs years ago, but from what I remember most people playing MMOs got their enjoyment out of
a) party based quests
b) pvp
c) using it as a glorified MSN messenger
d) comparing dicks via your +number sword of verb vs his +number adjective axe

If an MMO does some or all of those things well, it's a good MMO

Now don't get me wrong, I don't actually enjoy MMOs myself, but that's more because I get as much enjoyment out of the above things as I do out of having a donkey shit down my throat, not because WoW is a bad MMO

It's the same way an RPG is a good RPG if it focuses on and excels in some or all of
a) C&C
b) Combat based around character skill
c) Storyline
d) etc, etc....

attackfighter

Magister
Bigot_ said:
As in compared to what multiplayer RTS game standards is it a large enough decline from sc1 that you consider it rape

The Terran and Zerg music is worse. The VAing is worse all around, especially for the Zerg.

Unit AI is worse, mainly because the units clump too much, which has HUGE impacts on gameplay.

Bnet 2 is decline. The biggest problem is that you can't host public games on it.

The new units are very generic, and they got rid of or nerfed a lot of the old classic ones.

The graphics are worse. It's harder to tell what's happening during a clustered battle, and imo the design has declined as well (Terran vehicles/buildings looking like tonka trucks and toys is the main reason I say this).

Yeesh said:
You have a problem with Diablo 3? That's funny, because all we've really seen is the fucking artwork. Oh, but graphics are the very heart of the game, aren't they? Very Codexian.

You are too uninformed to participate in this discussion.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Arcanoix said:
No, you don't.

Having attended their convention last year, I can say with no regrets that they're so bad it's not even funny. Yes, some of them seem to be okay - but one salary increase = leaving the development of WoW to morons like GhostCrawler. Ever since Ulduar the game has been in complete and total decline. If you were there for the panels on Diablo 3 (I've yet to release my footage) you'll see that they had two fucking points to make with the Demon Hunter class - they wanted her sexy and GRIMDARK - yes, they actually said GRIM and DARK back to back.

During my play time with the demo, I zerged through shit as a Warrior/Beserker/Whatever class I played. Fucking plowed through that shit with no skill whatsoever. Chug potion, BLAM BLAM BLAM, chug potion, run run run, BLAM BLAM BLAM, chug potion, BLAM BLAM BLAM. Blizzard has no right to say they make ANYTHING even close to an RPG. The last good game I played from them was probably Lost Vikings. . .

bonescraper said:
Dialbo II can be pretty addictive... if you're mentally handicapped. The game is all about spamming the LMB all the time. How's that different from "press A and something awesome happens"? The graphics were shit even on release and managed to give me a good headache. The environments were so bland i couldn't force myself to go beyond the fisrt act. And i really wanted too see what's so good about this game. I stopped caring after my 3rd approach.

Well, sorry for not saying exactly what I liked about the games. That wasn't really the point of my post, but here goes nothing. WoW is fun mostly because of community. If it was single player it would suck, obviously. Diablo 2 has the same appeal to an extent. Diablo 2, to me, is a trading game. The most fun part is going into trade games and haggling with people over items. Also, hoarding godly gear like some kind of dragon. Diablo 2 in hardcore is less about trading and more about gameplay. Now, the gameplay is exactly the same only with the twist that if you die once, you die forever. That is addicting on another level. The sick feeling you get when you spend days on a character then let it die is not something any game has ever been able to replicate as far as I know.

I'm not trying to say that everyone should like the games, but stating that something sucks as if it's a fact is profoundly idiotic. Your opinion, like mine or anyone's, doesn't mean shit to anyone but you and people who agree with you.

Oh, yea and ur dum. :rpgcodex:

circ

Arcane
jiujitsu said:
Now, the gameplay is exactly the same only with the twist that if you die once, you die forever. That is addicting on another level. The sick feeling you get when you spend days on a character then let it die is not something any game has ever been able to replicate as far as I know.
You mean like... every game with ironman and roguelikes?

Yeesh

Magister
attackfighter said:

According to you, a company who does the following is guilty of raping classic franchises and ripping off everybody in the world:

1) release a sequel that doesn't make you personally jizz in your pants

and

2) get ready to release another sequel that you've already decided (without playing it, reading a review of it, or even knowing what it's going to look like when it comes out) is not going to make you jizz your pants.

Yes, I can see how every company that's ever had a gaming franchise sucks now that you've made such a compelling case.

circ said:
jiujitsu said:
Now, the gameplay is exactly the same only with the twist that if you die once, you die forever.
You mean like... every game with ironman and roguelikes?
Yes, like every other multiplayer game with ironman and like all those multplayer roguelikes. Damn, you just keep racking up the smart points.

circ

Arcane
So because Diablo has multiplayer, its ironman mode is in another league entirely? Oh and thanks, I overextend my cranial capacity for special bus cases like you Yeesh.

Bigot_

Novice
The Terran and Zerg music is worse. The VAing is worse all around, especially for the Zerg.

Unit AI is worse, mainly because the units clump too much, which has HUGE impacts on gameplay.

Bnet 2 is decline. The biggest problem is that you can't host public games on it.

The new units are very generic, and they got rid of or nerfed a lot of the old classic ones.
Fuck music and VA. The new music is fine and the VA is decent. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd go listen to whatever band I like instead of playing starcraft.

Yes. Blizz and KeSPA actually got into a pretty big catfight over the whole LAN issue. Although this isn't bad game design so much as blizzard trying to take a bite out of korean E-Sports.

Listen, I miss dragoons and listening to them die just as much as the next sc player, but jesus fuck you're calling a sequel a "rape of the franchise" on the basis of the new unit types being "too generic AKA not shiny and sparkly enough", as opposed to how they actually impact gameplay. Listen to yourself.

AI can be annoying at times, the clumping can be solved with minor amounts of micro and is hardly an issue overall.

The graphics are worse. It's harder to tell what's happening during a clustered battle, and imo the design has declined as well (Terran vehicles/buildings looking like tonka trucks and toys is the main reason I say this).
SNORT SNIFF I DONT LIKE THE NEW GRAPHIXX I THINK THE TERRAN GUYS SHOULD LOOK MORE BADASS VIA IMPLEMENTATION OF LARGE AMOUNTS OF SPIKES ALL OVER THEIR ARMOR AND MAYBE GIVE SUPPLY DEPOTS SOME LIKE GLOWING THINGS???? THAT WOULD MAKE THEM LOOK RLY KOOL

You have ONE legitimate complaint in that entire list, which turns out to be a minor annoyance as opposed to the rape-tastic break from the original you're trying to make it out to be.

attackfighter

Magister
Yeesh said:
attackfighter said:

According to you, a company who does the following is guilty of raping classic franchises and ripping off everybody in the world:

1) release a sequel that doesn't make you personally jizz in your pants

and

2) get ready to release another sequel that you've already decided (without playing it, reading a review of it, or even knowing what it's going to look like when it comes out) is not going to make you jizz your pants.

Yes, I can see how every company that's ever had a gaming franchise sucks now that you've made such a compelling case.

No, I'm saying Blizz raped the SC franchise by purposfuly attempting to kill BW so that they could push their new, mediocre sequel.

As for D3... wtf are you on about? The devs have been releasing screenshots and gameplay info for a while now, the general direction the game's taking is pretty clear.

Bigot said:
Fuck music and VA. The new music is fine and the VA is decent. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd go listen to whatever band I like instead of playing starcraft.

Yes. Blizz and KeSPA actually got into a pretty big catfight over the whole LAN issue. Although this isn't bad game design so much as blizzard trying to take a bite out of korean E-Sports.

Listen, I miss dragoons and listening to them die just as much as the next sc player, but jesus fuck you're calling a sequel a "rape of the franchise" on the basis of the new unit types being "too generic AKA not shiny and sparkly enough", as opposed to how they actually impact gameplay. Listen to yourself.

AI can be annoying at times, the clumping can be solved with minor amounts of micro and is hardly an issue overall.

Audio is important, you're a tard if you think it isn't (go fuck yourself btw).

SNORT SNIFF I DONT LIKE THE NEW GRAPHIXX I THINK THE TERRAN GUYS SHOULD LOOK MORE BADASS VIA IMPLEMENTATION OF LARGE AMOUNTS OF SPIKES ALL OVER THEIR ARMOR AND MAYBE GIVE SUPPLY DEPOTS SOME LIKE GLOWING THINGS???? THAT WOULD MAKE THEM LOOK RLY KOOL

You have ONE legitimate complaint in that entire list, which turns out to be a minor annoyance as opposed to the rape-tastic break from the original you're trying to make it out to be.

You haven't actually argued against anything I've said, at best you made a few pathetic attempts at rationalizing my criticisms. PS I added you to my ignore list :smug:

Bigot_

Novice
Audio is important, you're a tard if you think it isn't (go fuck yourself btw).

Seeing as you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I'm saying, I'll break this down into point form for you

The music and VA are fine, the quality is hardly a decline
The music and VA in starcraft BW or 2 account for a very small amount of the overall attraction of the game
Thus a small, debatable, opinion-based change in quality for audio, matters as little as your worthless, shiny-sparkly oriented consoletard opinion
That is to say not at all

You haven't actually argued against anything I've said, at best you made a few pathetic attempts at rationalizing my criticisms.
Maybe if you spout enough bullshit it'll distract people from the fact that I just took a shit all over your "criticisms", by explaining why most of them aren't valid criticisms and why the ones that are amount to literally a few small annoyances.
Man up, SON, if you can't come up with anything to defend your logic then take a seat \__ instead of trying to pussy out with some half assed insults

PS I added you to my ignore list
Oh no, a huge flaming retard has added me to his ignore list.
I'll bet money you "added me to your ignore list" to be edgy, and you're going to hit show post and read this anyway.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
With the new maps popping up, and games going into macro mode more often, I'm really starting to like SC2. It has evolved quite slowly, but for the better.
I listen to my own music and I very rarely play Zerg so I'm fine with the sound.
I think some units like Marauder, Colossus and Banshees could be replaced with more balanced or more interesting units, but else I think it's fine.
I'd give SC2 at release 7/10, and today 8/10.

WoW was fun as hell during vanilla but that was mostly thanks to the massive amount of new people you met, and played with. Game has slowly declined since TBC, with a very slight step up with Cataclysm, but now steadily declining again (another re-colored instance being introduced as new content, lol).

Diablo 3 looks like it could be a winner, if they don't fuck things up with B.net 2.0 services or micro-transactions or some shit.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Diablo 2 can be a mindless game, but it can also be pretty fucking deep as well. It being both accessible and deep enough for the hardcore players is what has made it popular for over a decade, IMO. I think the quality in Iron Man mode comes from the game's random generator, not necessarily the possibility of griefers. It is the "I spent five days playing this character but when I hit the next difficulty a physical-resistant unique Quill Rat ran up to my Barbarian and blew his innards out with a single shot." that makes it so fun/hilarious/angering/etc. I'm looking forward to D3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom