Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played day-effing-one of WoW but, imo, it's nonsensical to start off with 1.0 (or whatever) and then progress through class/balances changes over time -- changes people know are coming. Mechanics/class wise they should start with 1.12 (or whatever the final patch was in vanilla). The only thing you mete out over time is the raid content. And maybe if they're so inclined they can create small bits of additional content that, while not in vanilla, was possibly planned for vanilla and got scrapped. Or completely new stuff that still fits within the confines of the the vanilla experience.

"BUT DATZ NOT PURE VANILLAZ EXTRACT!" These legacy servers are not going to be pure vanilla. Not a chance. It would be a moronic to start with classes in a terrible state where only warriors could legitimately tank and most (if not all) hybrid classes were only good for healing in the end-game. From a business standpoint it makes no sense for retaining players.

I fully expect this to be WoW 'Legacy' and not WoW Vanilla. Same content with a fair amount of balance/itemization/quality of life changes. So, not stuff like LFG but definitely stuff like UI changes and most mods 'baked' into the default game. You really think they are going to spend time to back-engineer and/or maintain two different UI's? Or use semi-broken code from 1.0 versus 1.12?

These servers will encompass the 'spirit' of vanilla but not slavishly follow the growing pains that existed in the first year or so of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Only warriors can legitimately tank in vanilla in general, no matter the patch. I've seen some paladins trying to MT but I don't know if it was successful. Druids can't get def-capped, so they are out of the running before they even started. If they start at 1.12, then I think they should buff the raids, they are legit too easy in the face of 1.12 changes and itemization. Since it's not going to be "PURE VANILLAZ EXTRACT!" then such a buff is justified.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only warriors can legitimately tank in vanilla in general, no matter the patch. I've seen some paladins trying to MT but I don't know if it was successful. Druids can't get def-capped, so they are out of the running before they even started. If they start at 1.12, then I think they should buff the raids, they are legit too easy in the face of 1.12 changes and itemization. Since it's not going to be "PURE VANILLAZ EXTRACT!" then such a buff is justified.
Pretty sure that towards the end, other classes could reasonably tank everything with the exception of Four Horseman (although druids would be more niche relying on high health versus mitigation/avoidance). As far as raid tweaks I'm sure they will make those, too. Naxx already got a mechanical overhaul in Wrath. The first three raids weren't particularly complex so tweaking those should be easy. It's still going to be a significant undertaking and I don't think these servers (server?) will go live anytime within the next year.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know if it's going to be that difficult to do them. They literally have all the content ready, so unless they don't have mob statistics and placement, and have to place them all by hand, I don't see what can take more than a year to do. Regarding paladin tanks - everything I've read about them point to them not being able to MT almost any boss due to mana issues and sometimes the lack of taunt. I was interested because I wanted to try a paladin tank on Kronos.

Parabalus

Arcane

I'm not too keen on patch progression from 1.0 to 1.12 like vanilla because most classes were just plain garbage before they were revamped on a patch by patch basis. If they do that it'll make the warrior (nerfed heavily from 1.0 to 1.12) and rogue (good through all patches) populations extreme, even more than they would normally be. Buffing the raids (if needed/wanted) seems like a much better prospect.

I googled a bit and to me it seems like most private servers started on 1.12 and released just the content in patch order, that seems pretty good. Might even reshuffle stuff a bit.

If they are considering keeping the bugs it means they are taking the same approach as the Starcraft remaster. I think they should just fix everything and let people come up with fresh strategies. Wow isn't an e-sport game. Bugs shouldn't be treated as features.
They didn't fix the bugs in SCR because they have become a regular part of gameplay. Like stacking flying units into each other. I don't know if there are comparable bugs in vanilla. I've read something about warrior charge being slower or something, but I don't play warriors, so I wouldn't know.

The warrior charge I mentioned, as a balance affecting bug, is this:

On retail they fixed that in Wrath or sth, dunno. In vanilla you'd use the bug to consistently jump out of range of warriors charging you in PvP, if they backport the fix that is a significant buff to warriors - which should warrant balance considerations, and then the cat's out of the bag. There are probably a bunch of other examples.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have greats memories from Vanilla. I joined just before they implemented the PVP system (rank system?) and some battlegrounds (Warsong Gulch was first...I think). I also remember Will of the Forsaken being a 30 second+ immunity and elite Sons of Arugal would roam the land murdering lowbies. Yet, I am having trouble remembering all but a handful of people, which is depressing. Part of the charm was certainly wasting time in guild chat, but those days are long gone.

I am curious (and concerned) what patch they will roll out. Blizzard did class "revamps" between 1.12 and 1.16 if I remember correctly. I also remember Shamans being nerfed to the point someone wished the WoW CM would die on the official forum (oh the nostalgia!).

Lacrymas

Arcane
PvP balance in vanilla doesn't matter. I predict that bug being advantageous to exploit against warriors in arena once TBC comes out, though.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Vanilla gameplay

In Vanilla you actualy level up your abilities like in Elder Scrolls, didn't know about that (weapons by fighting, tailoring by crafting things etc), it was already gone in TBC ! so TBC already was declining

I loved the last few minutes. Having to go all the way to Orgrimar for the weapon trainer.

I also remember the Horde Warlock quest for Succubus. You had to venture to Southshore and beyond to collect that one knight's heart. Mobs and questing Alliance players would be 5-15 levels above you. The quests were insane, but I still loved them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Horde leveling is really bad and I can't go through it again. If I ever want to play classic again, which is unlikely, I'm rolling Alliance this time.

Black_Willow

Arcane
WoW was only fun before 1.12. After that it became a game for popamolers and was pretty much the same decline that we have now.

Parabalus

Arcane
WoW was only fun before 1.12. After that it became a game for popamolers and was pretty much the same decline that we have now.

What even happened in 1.12? That was rogue rework IIRC, can't remember why that would be the popamole cutoff.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

What even happened in 1.12? That was rogue rework IIRC, can't remember why that would be the popamole cutoff.
All I remember from 1.12 is that Deathcoil for Warlocks received a fear effect, which certainly helped against Undead Rogues.

Parabalus

Arcane

All I remember from 1.12 is that Deathcoil for Warlocks received a fear effect, which certainly helped against Undead Rogues.

That was def. earlier, on the patch the lock revamp hit.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

That was def. earlier, on the patch the lock revamp hit.
I thought the lock revamp was 1.12. Or was it 1.11?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The only thing on specifically 1.12 I see is cross-realm battlegrounds. Don't see how that changes the whole game to be popamole or even PvP. Serious PvP has always been arenas, not BGs.

EDIT:
10 man raids. Horde pallies - ally shamans. Flying. Nuff said.

Karazhan and Zul'Aman were the only 10 man raids. UBRS was 15. 25 man raids were a vast improvement for everyone involved, the only problem was at the beginning when guilds were split apart due to the inability to bring all 40 people to the core group. Flying has always been a mistake, yes, but that doesn't make the whole game popamole. Horde pallies and ally shamans were made specifically for balance reasons. Some bosses in vanilla were much easier with one faction than the other, if making things easier is not popamole, then bring on the popamole.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Arcane
I have greats memories from Vanilla. I joined just before they implemented the PVP system (rank system?) and some battlegrounds (Warsong Gulch was first...I think). I also remember Will of the Forsaken being a 30 second+ immunity and elite Sons of Arugal would roam the land murdering lowbies. Yet, I am having trouble remembering all but a handful of people, which is depressing. Part of the charm was certainly wasting time in guild chat, but those days are long gone.

I am curious (and concerned) what patch they will roll out. Blizzard did class "revamps" between 1.12 and 1.16 if I remember correctly. I also remember Shamans being nerfed to the point someone wished the WoW CM would die on the official forum (oh the nostalgia!).

You're full of crap. You never played vanilla. You read stuff about it and maybe watched some videos/played on private server. 99% of classictards are like you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom