Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Blade and Sword mostly pitied by Gamer's Hell

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blade and Sword

<A href="http://www.gamershell.com/">Gamer's Hell</a> has posted up another <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/reviews_BladeandSwordReview.shtml">PROFESHUNAL REEVIEW</a> of a game, this time being <a href="http://www.whiptailinteractive.com/games_bladeandsword.php">Blade and Sword</a>. They didn't like it much and it ends up getting a rather low <b>6.5/10</b>. Here's a sample:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The crux of the matter is always ‘was the game fun’? What we have here is an average imitation of some seminal hack and slash RPG games from the days of yore. Heck, the parts that it does imitate are still outdone by older titles. Those classic games had a more robust and flexible RPG system and they probably possessed better enemy AI, so why is it that I can’t turn this game off? It’s because of the innovative combo system and the number of excellent special attacks that you’ll accrue throughout the games’ three chapters and 40 levels.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
There's a really funny theme throughout this piece where they keep refering to this title as <i>old school</i> through the whole thing. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think anything that's similar to <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/diablo/">Diablo</a> is <i>old school</i>. Then again, we're talking about <a href="http://www.gamershell.com">Gamer's Hell</a> here.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Voss

Erudite
If they can't turn it off, odds are they don't dislike it.
Or they're just idiots that can't find a way to exit the game.

Nightjed

Liturgist
i dunno, a diablo without l33t loot is not diablo, the only reason to repeat all those levels again and again was for getting more l33t loot, not the crappy story, not improving your badly designed character maximizing your badly designed skills in their badly balanced skill tree, it was the loot :mrgreen:

hmm, codex should add more emoticons :D

LCJr.

Erudite
I'm with Saint, to me old school hack and slash would be something like SSI Goldbox, etc... Wonder if the reviewer is old enough to get their drivers license yet?

Nightjed

Liturgist
hack and slash makes me think of many games, but yeah old school remainds me of those good old ssi games

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't wait till 2008, when they'll mention old skool in regards to games like Half-Life 2, and the still unreleased Duke Nukem Forever.

taks

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
<snip>... still unreleased Duke Nukem Forever.
that's a pretty optimistic statement there... very "forward looking" in terms of today's PC climate (er, politically correct). my money's on a december 2010 release.

mark

Sol Invictus

Erudite
My money's on never. They'll just shut the project down and say they were never working on anything in the first place, much like the Phantomax guys.

Nightjed

Liturgist
whats the last graphic engine they announced it with ? they allready need to change it to the doom3/halflife 2/unrealt engines or it will be outdated, or maybe theyll release it on 2010 with the old duke3d dos engine to bail out legaly ? that would be hilarious

Anonymous

Fun fact: Duke Nukem Forever was suppost to come out in 1998.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You guys kinda missed the point that come 2008 it will still be unreleased, but old skool :P

Nightjed

Liturgist
Exitium said:
My money's on never. They'll just shut the project down and say they were never working on anything in the first place, much like the Phantomax guys.

they took preorders allready, doesnt that tie them legaly ?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Nightjed said:
they took preorders allready, doesnt that tie them legaly ?

They can still bail out, but then they are legally bound to pay back all those preorders they took. And, yes, I remember reading about this game back in '98. Didn't they announce it about the same time they released that Duke Nukem game for the Playstation?

Nightjed

Liturgist
i dont remember it was a long long time ago when i didnt have net cable on my home, dark times...

edit: and oh yeah i remember duke forever pictures using the same engine as duke3d, not sure if it was on 98 tho

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LCJr. said:
I'm with Saint, to me old school hack and slash would be something like SSI Goldbox, etc... Wonder if the reviewer is old enough to get their drivers license yet?

That's kind of what I wondered. How old would someone have to be if they considered Diablo to be old school? 14? 15?

Hell, it's only seven years old, and I honestly can't think of a hack and slash CRPG type that's newer school than Diablo clones.

Nightjed

Liturgist
omg ... we are being attacked by unexperienced young soap opera watching reviewers that cant find the exit option!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I was 13 at the time and it still doesn't strike me as an 'old school' game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom