Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Okay, I have Cold Shock on level 9 on my PC, but for some reason the chance to hit with it is still like... 40%. WASSUP WIT DAT?

The number is in red so I'm assuming there's something with my character that prevents it from being effective, but what?

Also, thinking of restarting as a different build. Seems you get mages out the wazoo throughout the game... maybe something else?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Seems its limited to 9, and only Agility improves it besides buffs/items.
Heres my Takate. (snip)
Just looking at the party members in that screenshot, someone at Daedalic must be a big fan of Dorka Gryllus!

I think you are right. Curious though that all of the portraits are staring off to the horizon on the right.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Heres my Takate. (snip)
Just looking at the party members in that screenshot, someone at Daedalic must be a big fan of Dorka Gryllus!

I think you are right. Curious though that all of the portraits are staring off to the horizon on the right.
During combat, it can help players for the "who's next? ": Party members portraits are looking toward the right, while ennemis portraits are looking torward the left :salute:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Heres my Takate.
twAN4aP.jpg
Why stats max out on 18, not on 21?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, I have Cold Shock on level 9 on my PC, but for some reason the chance to hit with it is still like... 40%. WASSUP WIT DAT?

The number is in red so I'm assuming there's something with my character that prevents it from being effective, but what?

Also, thinking of restarting as a different build. Seems you get mages out the wazoo throughout the game... maybe something else?

Summon: felipepepe

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Heres my Takate.
twAN4aP.jpg
Why stats max out on 18, not on 21?
I don't know, but check out his overall attributes: while agility & intuition are at the max (18), on the right side, those stat are increased by 1 point.Magical items or buff (but I don't think so cause behind the character sheet, it's the world map, which means it's not displayed during a fight)?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

When you cast Cold Shock or any debuff spell (IIRC), you also roll against the enemy's Resistance to Magic:

My Blackguards Guide said:
Resistance to Magic

The Resistance to Magic (RM) is used to resist spell effects by increasing the caster's fail chance. So, if you have 6 points in the "Karnifilo Frenzy" spell and try to cast it on a enemy that has a RM of 4, you'll only have 2 spell points.

Example:

Capitu wants to cast "Cold Shock" on a enemy archer. The ruling attributes of that spell are Charisma (CH), Agility (AG) and Constitution (CO), so she rolls 3 d20 dices. She needs all rolls to be lower than her attributes; if any of them are higher, she fails the test.

She rolls 8 for CH, 11 for AG and 14 for CO. Since her stats are 10 CH, 12 AG and 11 CO, she passes on both CH and AG, but fails on CO by 3 points. She has 5 ranks in "Cold Shock", so she would be able to use those points to compensate the bad roll, BUT the enemy archer has a Resistance to Magic of 3, reducing her effective rank in "Cold Shock" to 2, which leaves her one point short and causes the casting to fail.

Remenber that you can see an enemy's RM if you have a high Warcraft talent level. Naurim has a higher RM than average, since he's a dwarf.

So casting your LV 9 Cold Shock against a enemy with RM 5 gives you the % chance of a Lv 4 spell. I like this, it allows debuff spells to be really powerful, but not overpowered since they are harder to cast.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did derp around yesterday and finished all the side quests, now only main quest is active that activates credits. Took another 3 hours to finish it all.
That Takate in the screenshot is at those stats at the end of chapter 4, I only need 3k AP to godlike build, 1500 into Courage, some points into two-handed weapons and ultimate Weapon Master Melee perk that you can get if you have 3 weapon skills maxed out.
So stronk.

Second playthrough of Chapter One, and I'm doing a lot better. Waste a lot less AP now, and I really like hunters. You have some decent variety with the different arrow types and switching into melee, and I <3 their range.

Seriously, this is such a well put together game. Who the fuck is this developer?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Ye, Hunter is easiest it seems. Altho I wasnt too worried about fucking up my build cause the AP you get is kinda generous.
Plus it allows for some flexibility in builds that you'll need to do later on anyway.
Try not to restart again, Chapter 3 is where the real fun starts.

They have been working on it for 3 years and are a large studio so Im not suprised its a decent product.
Bonus points for not pussying out on combat system, difficulty and level design.

imweasel

I finally caved and bought the early access on Steam. The game is very good, one of the better RPGs I have played in a long time. It doesn't have free roaming (so no hiking), but you don't even miss it in this game.

Question: Does it make a difference if you open treasure chests during combat, like the ones found during the "Battlefield of Wobran" quest, or do you receive that treasure after you end the battle anyway?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finally caved and bought the early access on Steam. The game is very good, one of the better RPGs I have played in a long time. It doesn't have free roaming (so no hiking), but you don't even miss it in this game.

Question: Does it make a difference if you open treasure chests during combat, like the ones found during the "Battlefield of Wobran" quest, or do you receive that treasure after you end the battle anyway?

You need to open them while in combat, your party forgets to open them after combat :)

imweasel

You need to open them while in combat, your party forgets to open them after combat :)
Thought so.

'k, thanks for the info bro. :D

Io-Daedalic

Educated
Hey again,

I hope that you really had a good start into 2014! I wanted to let you know that we're back to full action at our studio and we're on to the final sprint to the goal. We're very happy about your kind words and that you seemingly enjoy the game even more than you did before :). Within the next few days we'll give out another patch that will fix the trouble some players have experienced with loading savegames while at a certain main quest.

Since you're all experienced RPG players here you'll probably won't need it, but we released the first video guide to Blackguards. This series is supposed to introduce new players to the TDE ruleset system used in Blackguards. Maybe you'll want to give it a shot if you don't know much about the TDE rules yet. The first part is a mere introduction to the class archetypes available. Future videos will go into more details concerning the combat system. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSjvNRCq4I

Regarding this we're also very glad that Felipepepe allowed us to use his excellent rule guide in the Steam Community Hub for our own purposes. Thank you :).

Still if you have additional feedback or questions, feel free to ask or post along. I will try to answer as much as possible.

Cheers,
Io

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Ye, when is the final chapter coming out? 24th on release day or earlier? Would be better earlier so we can "test" it out, we 2.4% that finished the chapter 4. :)

Also I dont think you should cater to retards http://steamcommunity.com/app/249650/discussions/0/648814845500562709/
IMO, its a sidequest and if you can't handle it cause you're stupid that you cant figure it out after 40 freaking minutes then stay the hell away. Better to bitch "OMG UMBALANCED STOOPID GAEM!!" on the boards instead.
I quote the poster
Lol - it's the games supid fault for making me spend 40 tedious minutes in a map, just becuase I was lucky enough to have Cold Shock. If I didn't have it, I couldn't have touched the thing. Totaly stupid - the game, not me.
Ye, sure :roll:

Wizfall

Cipher
I read the comments here and watched some UTube video of the game.
Character system and the overall design of the game look very good/solid.
Despite the (understandable, better to focus on 2/3 things but doing that well) lack of exploration, it may even be the best cRPG of 2014 in the end if the others more ambitious project failed.
I kind of dislike early release though, i will wait for the full game.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Thanks Io-Daedalic.
At the end of the video, the boxed collector edition is introduced (including the artbook and a figurine and much more cool content).Will it be an international edition or just a German one, for the game and all the written content that can be included?Were to order it if it's worldwide offer, only at amazon.de?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wanted to let you know that we're back to full action at our studio and we're on to the final sprint to the goal.

I'll be waiting at the finish line, then :5/5:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I kind of dislike early release though, i will wait for the full game.

In case you missed it: pre-ordering the game during Early Access gives you a massive discount. Currently it's $/€ 24.99 on Steam; the final release will be €44.99 in Germany. I imagine the US retail price will be similar.

Holy hell that Lice Queen fight...

I know there's something to it... think I'm going to use the lice to do most of the damage to her when they blow up... but fuck, I'm having trouble keeping those damn lice off of Aurelia long enough. I was thinking maybe closing down the pits on the right side of the map, and leaving the left ones open... Might have to replay it though. My MC had three wounds and no bandages, so he was rather... less than useful.

Damn that's a neat fight though. Really challenging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom