Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Anyway, even on the hardest difficulty, Blackguards isn't nearly as challenging as FFT can be. Some encounters are poorly balanced until you discover the one appropriate gimmick that works (like igniting a pocket of swamp gas with a fire spell to defeat an over powered foe) and other encounters are either easy to the point of being boring or just annoyingly difficult (2 Dwarf fight, or maybe I'm missing that gimmick...).
Do you think the difference in difficulty you and felipepepe experience is due to different build? Is the system that diverse?
The first chapter is more of an introduction and only has 2-3 really hard fights; I'd say the Dwarfs, Saving the Baroness (with her alive) and those fucking regenerating Lizards. But Chapter 2 has some fights that took me 15 tries to get past, and Chapter 3 opens the world map and provides some REALLY nasty optional encounters, that I couldn't even beat. And there's still Chap 4 and 5...

Also, I'm not sure that the difficulty levels are fully implemented... I saw no difference from Normal and Hard.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What Felipe said. The first chapter is still fairly cool and has a handful of fun fights, but the real slaughterfest starts in chapter 2.

skyst

Augur
I thought the early access was just chapter 1? Looking forward to the harder fights, though I had a simple time of the Baroness fight with fireball.

Agreed on the difficulty settings. I dropped to easy after 10-15 tries at the Dwarfs and didn't notice any real difference.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thought the early access was just chapter 1?
It is, but we played the beta we can't talk about press build that goes up to Chapter 3. Codexian preview coming soon.

Looking forward to the harder fights, though I had a simple time of the Baroness fight with fireball.
Meanwhile, one of the biggest thread on Steam forums is about people crying that's too hard and they'll just let her die: http://steamcommunity.com/app/249650/discussions/0/666825524903173809/

And yeah, fireball is quite powerrful on the early game, especially if you have 2 mages. But mana management is a bitch on longer fights, as mana potions cost a fortune.

set

Cipher
Well, here's to hoping the game improves consistently through the beta. I hunger for something fun like this, but it just doesn't seem... well I haven't played it, I can't really judge it just by some pictures and words.

Comparing it to Drakensang 2 is a sure-fire way to get me disinterested. The combat and characters in that particular game... I think KoA is the only game that beats it out in banality.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not sure how a linear TB strategy RPG can be compared to either of the Drakensang games, the only thing they seem to have in common is a similar art style, or lack of one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I downloaded the "demo" to take a look, it's a truly underwhelming experience, bad writing throughout, extremely linear, no exploration, just town screen straight to combat encounters.

It would all be tolerable, if it at least had interesting and varied combat encounters, but even here they drop the ball with the repetition of enemy types, too many trash encounters that offer little reward beyond a few AP, and boring design.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds depressing. The qualms about exploration and linearity are nonsensical of course (we knew it would have none, it's not the game's focus), but if the combat is bad, the game won't stand a chance.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The release only includes act 1, so it's plausible the game picks up later, i think the press got their hands on an extended version that included later acts, you guys previewing that version Infinitron?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The release only includes act 1, so it's plausible the game picks up later, i think the press got their hands on an extended version that included later acts, you guys previewing that version Infinitron?

Yes.

Judging from the degree of enthusiasm coming from our previewers, I believe that the game does indeed pick up later. Or maybe they just have horrible taste! We'll see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes.

Judging from the degree of enthusiasm coming from our previewers, I believe that the game does indeed pick up later. Or maybe they just have horrible taste! We'll see.

And here it is! http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codex-preview-blackguards.87798/

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, based on what I heard in this thread I decided to support Blackguards. I'm not going to play it right now, though, as I'm a tad busy. I did see the intro movie, though.

Do we get to dump our criminal partners at some point, and just recruit/work with law abiding, upstanding citizens? I ask this because, thankfully, we didn't kill the princess. A wolf did. Will there be an opportunity to clear our name, recruit men of quality, and punish the party members who are fugitives? I read the manual and it appears that there are lots of people who are being punished for insulting the crown, poaching, assault, murder, etc. I don't want to form a party with that lot any longer than necessary. The main character is not a criminal, but that lot certainly are!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, based on what I heard in this thread I decided to support Blackguards. I'm not going to play it right now, though, as I'm a tad busy. I did see the intro movie, though.

Do we get to dump our criminal partners at some point, and just recruit/work with law abiding, upstanding citizens? I ask this because, thankfully, we didn't kill the princess. A wolf did. Will there be an opportunity to clear our name, recruit men of quality, and punish the party members who are fugitives? I read the manual and it appears that there are lots of people who are being punished for insulting the crown, poaching, assault, murder, etc. I don't want to form a party with that lot any longer than necessary. The main character is not a criminal, but that lot certainly are!

... I'm going to guess 'no.'

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

The name of the game is basically "Criminals"...

LivingOne

Savant
This site gives BG2:EE 2/5...for all the wrong reasons: http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

Warning: EXTREME popamole inside.

After BG2EE Twinfinite strikes again!

Blackguards Review – The High School Prom Queen of Strategy Games
Ah, fantasy, a genre full of magic, wonderment, and dwarves, probably. It’s a very broad term, but even then, there haven’t been many tales of fantasy quite as liberal as Blackguards. From Daedelic Entertainment comes a new turn-based strategy role-playing game set in your usual fantasy realm, but with some more interesting takes on the world, making this somewhat grittier than the average fantasy fare. I’ve been given a Steam Early Access copy of the game to see what has been in development so far, so do keep in mind that this is still an unfinished product. Nevertheless, there’s quite a bit to say about Blackguards already, as it seems pretty near completion.

Blackguards is teeming with ambition. It’s an indie game, but it’s got the makings of a big budget title like Fable. In fact, it closely resembles Fable in a lot of ways, except that this is a turn-based strategy RPG. Right away, my first impression was how pretty the game is. Up close, the character model textures aren’t that great, but the game is chock full of some lovely environments and lighting effects that set a very nice atmosphere for the game. Still, it’s what’s under the hood that counts.

2013-11-24_00001-500x281.jpg

This is what’s under the hood. A wonderland of shirtless men.

Beneath its pretty exterior, it’s not unlike most turn-based strategy games as you have different units with various abilities to use accordingly in battle. Unfortunately, the only problem with Blackguards is a really big problem; the gameplay is not very good. Don’t get me wrong, there are more than enough spells and enemies to tackle, that is if you can even pull off the spells or abilities. One of the biggest frustrations in Blackguards is how easy it is for any of your characters to miss an attack, even if they are literally directly in front of an enemy; the simplest, Level 1 spells can have a 22% success rate, rendering extremely useful characters like mages almost obsolete. Melee attacks do land much more often, but it’s extremely aggravating when victory relies on the extremely fickle success rate of a useful spell or ability. The game is then too reliant on blind luck.

I would love to go and improve my character to make that success rate go way up, but obtaining new skills takes a very long time. Completing quests and emerging victorious in battle rewards you with points, also known as AP, to spend on building your character’s strengths and attributes. You can easily spend a health amount of AP after some battles on attributes like weapon mastery, but most unlockable skills are awfully expensive. When you reach every town, there are usually a couple of side missions that you can take on to get some more AP, but the amount is minuscule when you’re facing the huge amount of unlockable traits needed to make your character as badass as you’d like. That’s one thing: there are so many abilities and attributes to unlock, but they take forever to actually obtain. Blackguards, you tease.

Ads by PlusHD.3Ad Options
2013-11-24_00002-500x281.jpg

And then you don’t invite us to the shirtless man party. Truly wicked.

Even if there were tons of levels to grind in, you probably wouldn’t want to, as battles can often be sort of boring. Positioning doesn’t really matter in this game, and the maps are usually relatively small, so it’s just up to you to make your units move forward however and then hit whomever without much strategy involved. On maps where there are no objects that are tall enough to hide behind, which is nearly all of them, you are still left completely vulnerable to archers, which almost always hit you from nearly any space on the map. There ends up being no other options other than to Aragorn it and run headfirst into enemies, hoping that you end up hitting first. Where’s the fun then in walking forward, hitting enemies, and hoping they go down first in your back and forth slashing and random dodging, parrying, and missing?

As aforementioned, the best things about Blackguards are cosmetic. For one, there is very good voice acting that accompanies every character, even the merchants. Cities consist of usually one or two nicely rendered environments that you cannot explore, but you can click on the desired character you wish to speak to, such as the innkeeper, merchant, blacksmith, etc. as they loiter the streets. Likewise, even random ruffians and thieves you may encounter in missions have unique voices and character portraits. It’s this attention to detail and overall quality that is downright impressive, making it much easier to get into the plot.

2013-11-24_00006-500x281.jpg

Oh, don’t mind me, I’ll just admire the town from right here.

The plot itself stays far away from cliches just enough to be entertaining. Sex, drugs, murder, and more pervade the plot of Blackguards, and they’re all approached rather tastefully so far. It’s these things that make me think that this game may have worked very well as an adventure game. Regardless, it’s still a treat to see what places you’ll be visiting on the various maps in the game. There’s a large variety of locations with their own unique atmospheres across the game. Even at a point where I had to venture between three nearby crypts, all three where unique enough that I didn’t get bored of the scenery.

2013-11-24_00007-500x281.jpg

Blackguards is the high school prom queen: pretty, and that’s about it.

All the elements are there: lovely environments, great voice acting, diverse characters, good story, big skill trees, plenty of abilities, but none of these things can work if the heart of the game isn’t pumping the right blood into the veins of Blackguards. The combat, a major part of any turn-based strategy RPG falters in the silliest ways. There’s a great attention to detail in the whole package, except where it really counts, and that’s just not enough to drive the game home. Strategy is left nearly completely moot when victory winds up heavily reliant on luck, and character building takes too long to help it.

While the game is still currently in development, there is more than enough time for the developers to tweak the mechanics and make this a wonderful title that I would gladly recommend to fantasy and strategy fans, but right now, this just doesn’t cut it. Hopefully, Blackguards won’t remain as a sea of untapped potential. It feels like trying to eat delicious soup with just a fork; it’s going to take too long, and there are just no spoons anywhere.

Final Breakdown
[+Wonderful sense of atmosphere] [+Diverse cast of characters] [+Excellent voice acting] [+Large variety of locations and maps] [+Interesting plot that avoids common cliches] [+Deep character building and skill customization] [-Skills are too expensive] [-Battles are frustratingly reliant on luck] [-Buggy] [-Some maps make combat boring]

Good.png

Posted By:
photo.jpg

www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/25/blackguards-review-its-like-eating-soup-with-a-fork/

Furthermore:

72297_0.gif

Alexious + 51m ago
This game isn't even released...
#1 Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
232662-1_0.jpg

capitanandi + 31m ago
Correct! We received an Early Access review copy, so we did an Early Access review.
#1.1

http://n4g.com/news/1401155/blackgu...chool-prom-queen-of-strategy-games-twinfinite

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom