Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Blackguards Chapter 1 Released as Free Demo

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the 2nd dragon hunt mission I had a literal "rocks fall character dies"

:hmmm:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Again, not having gotten far in the demo is the whole game just clicking spots on the overland/various maps? So… no exploration or anything?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Again, not having gotten far in the demo is the whole game just clicking spots on the overland/various maps? So… no exploration or anything?
no exploration man, battles, dialogues, side quests (more battles), leveling up, new battles... so if you don't like the battles here, you can pass it

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I do like strategic combat (enjoyed the King's Bounty games) but it's sort of disappointing to just be shuffled from combat vignette to combat vignette. Will pick it up sometime down the road.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do like strategic combat (enjoyed the King's Bounty games) but it's sort of disappointing to just be shuffled from combat vignette to combat vignette. Will pick it up sometime down the road.
man, I'm more lake storyfaq/settingfag and not a combatfag, and this game has an average story/setting with dwarves, elves etc (I do not like fantasy stuff much), BUT the fact that all the encounters are hand made makes the game very enjoyable even for me, so yeah, if you like strategig turn-based combat give it a try later, the second-third chapters (I'm this far now in the game) are more involving/interesting than the first one

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It starts as a nice mostly personal storyline, and then it suddenly turns EPIC. Kind of like with River of Time.

Gord

Arcane

Well, it's almost nothing but combat, although the combat can be quite good.
Some quests seem to allow for some limited player input outside of combat, but not much.
Chapter 2 is very linear and restricted, but chapter 3 becomes quite open again and has more fun encounters than chapter 1.
Overall I wouldn't have bought it now either if not for the relatively low price, for which it delivers enough fun that I can live with the shortcomings.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't like this game :(

Doesn't have anything outside of combat, beside trite linear storytelling.

Nekrosis

Literate
I really love the idea of publishing a demo of this quality. IMO every major publisher should offer demos like that. Today's free2play rip-off mentality sucks big time in my opinion. Daedalic made the right move. I already bought the game during early Early Access, but I will share the Download link on Facebook right away. I think I should be able to mobilize a few friends that didn't wanted to buy the game during Early Access with this demo. Thanks alot Daedalic!!!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I do like strategic combat (enjoyed the King's Bounty games) but it's sort of disappointing to just be shuffled from combat vignette to combat vignette.
unless you are a fan of battle isle: incubation.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Wait, so the demo has advanced character creation but the version I bought doesnt yet? It's the only thing keeping me from playing it at the moment.

Same. When is this coming to real version?

I just came from work and Steam installed a patch for my Early Access version. Perhaps the patch wasn't out when you made your posts but in case you just overlooked it: The character creation is available when you start a new game in "Expert mode", not when starting in "Basic mode".

Nekrosis

Literate
I just found this AMA on Reddit. Damn... I missed it. Very interesting read! They raffle 40k keys of Chains of Satinav! <3

and I've found this statement: "WE are right now working on the first DLC, new features, balancing and changes the community would like to see. During the work on Blackguards we collected a real bunch of new ideas and we are eager to test them in an cRPG."

So there is more to come! ;) YAY

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lol at whining about 2gb download, welcome to 2014 for fucks sake. Were you in coma for the last 10 years. wtf man

Game is all about the combat and the combat encounters. Its the meat of the game and everything else is secondary. You fight, get Adventure Points, distribute em to your characters, continue x180. And its fucking awesome.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you planning to say something similar about every game not from Josh?
I was going to try out the Dead State demo until I read the part about how you can't save.

But yes everything that isn't PoE is going to be a disappointment.

Severian Silk

This game could turn out to be an AoD killer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom