Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare talk about Victorian and Wild West RPGs

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
FeelTheRads said:
Comprehension failure?
Detected.

He didn't want to kill all humans, he simply wanted to keep them from reproducing. And he intended mutants to go on living. In other words, you are a dumbfuck for trying to make that comparison.

Great, use the same part of your brain again and maybe you'll see how it was in Arcanum.
He had a reason, debatable as much as The Master's (and this is where my comparison comes in) for wanting to destroy all life. It wasn't just "Oh, I'll destroy all life".

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
ME.

Arcanum's plot = save the world as the chosen one... only you arne't the chosen one but you still svae the world (or not). R00fles!

While in ME it's you're teh chosen one only you are actually the chosen one but you still save the world (or save the world). R00fles!

ME's plot is actually more complex than that yet even simple in its beautiful. On one hand, it is also has a 'save the world' plot of trying stop the BIg bad Guy tm; but it's also about making your mark on the universe and leading humankind to either ultimate power or working with others.
Volly, so tell me - what shit are you smoking? Because ME had nothing but a squad of dumb marines saving the world from aliens while cutting themselves in between the linear missions while crying about how they have yet-another-fucking-hard-past.

Vibalist

Arcane
skyway said:
Volourn said:
ME.

Arcanum's plot = save the world as the chosen one... only you arne't the chosen one but you still svae the world (or not). R00fles!

While in ME it's you're teh chosen one only you are actually the chosen one but you still save the world (or save the world). R00fles!

ME's plot is actually more complex than that yet even simple in its beautiful. On one hand, it is also has a 'save the world' plot of trying stop the BIg bad Guy tm; but it's also about making your mark on the universe and leading humankind to either ultimate power or working with others.
Volly, so tell me - what shit are you smoking? Because ME had nothing but a squad of dumb marines saving the world from aliens while cutting themselves in between the linear missions while crying about how they have yet-another-fucking-hard-past.

With the exception of Kaidan and maybe Liara, who cried about their past? Certainly not Wrex, Garrus or Ashley. In fact, Wrex was a pretty good character.

I agree with you on the whole 'save-the-world' thing, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"arcanum is an epic magick world going through an industrial revolution with high tensions between all races, factions, and nations. you pick a side, one of many sides, and follow the path that you believe you are destined to take."

That's not the game's plot. Nor is it its story.

"While in ME it's you're teh chosen one only you are actually the chosen one but you still save the world (or save the world)."

No matter hwo you slice it ME's plot is better than ArC'S. omg! yOU ARE THE CHOSEN BUT NOT LAMOA, LOLOLOLOLOL! Deep. NOT.

ME's plot was more than just save the gaalxy from the metal menace. Dinkadoink.

"Because ME had nothing but a squad of dumb marines saving the world from aliens while cutting themselves in between the linear missions while crying about how they have yet-another-fucking-hard-past."

Nice change of subect. But, we weren't discussing characetrs. Just plot. Doofus. But, let's not get started on ARc's characters where maybe a ahdnful of them were well done and memorable,a nd the rest were purely forgettable.

"Six years and people still fall for Volourn."

All of these years and the Codexians still fall for the utter tripe that 'BIO games suck' nonsense. Only a moron would think that.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
A Victorian England (Dickensian)RPG could be good.
Plenty of scope for noble(paladin)types, thieves and evil characters.

Bioware's BG2 was as good as Arcanum imho. (Less C&C, big deal).
I haven't been a fan of any of their products since then though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Volo + Skyway + CF

It's everything I dreamed of and more. Thank you Codex!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
HAHAHAHAH BIOWARE MADE A STATEMENT!!!1111

LOLOLLOOLOOLLOL WHATEVER THEY WROTE IS GAY AND STUPID LOLOLLOLO!! I AM SO SMART AND SOPHISTOCATED LOLLOLLOLOOLOLL!!!!!! ARCANUM AND FALLOUT SEE HOW SMART I AM LOLOLOLOLLOOL!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vibalist said:
In fact, Wrex was a pretty good character.
Pretty good character - a guy who cries and cuts himself because he is retarded and his race is perfectly ok with a virus killing them - oh and he also a "brave but dumb warrior" cliche.
And you call Minsc from the future a pretty good character?
But wait the other ME characters like goddamn Carth Onassi, "oh noez my mommy is teh evil bawww" blue piece of shit, the religious extremely bland yet-another-token-chick Ashley are even more bizarre.
:decline:

Boldarblood

Novice
Cloaked Figure said:
They are quite big actually, for an RPG company. For an RPG company, key words.

Bioware's size and wealth does not hold a candle to those of Rare, Epic, Sega and other extremely rich mainstream dev companies.

You guys may like to think that you're fighting the evil mainstream mundane-ness by opposing Bio, but on the grander scheme of things, they are a pretty small company.

Especially compared to EA's other properties, I would go as far as to say that Bioware produces the least money out of all of them.

I am pretty sure that Bioware has more employees than Rare and Epic, but Sega has a lot more. I am not sure how accurate they are but wikipedia shows Sega at over 2000 employees, bioware over 500 employees, Rare at 200, and finally Epic games at about 100.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
FeelTheRads said:
Great, use the same part of your brain again and maybe you'll see how it was in Arcanum.
He had a reason, debatable as much as The Master's (and this is where my comparison comes in) for wanting to destroy all life. It wasn't just "Oh, I'll destroy all life".
Of course he would need to have some kind of reason. That doesn't matter. Destroy all life is lame no matter how it's presented.

To everyone else: Arcanum's strength is C&C, not story. If you want to argue with Volourn focus on that instead.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Destroy all life is lame no matter how it's presented.

:facepalm:
Fuck it, I'm tired of arguing with children.

Btw, you're a shame to the avatar you're wearing.

Krash

Arcane
You know, this abortion of a thread makes me appreciate how good the old codex discussions of things people disagreed about really were. It's all shitflinging now :(

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
FeelTheRads said:
I admit defeat.

Like seriously.

If your view on things is so narrow there really is no point in arguing with you. Plus, I've seen enough of your posts regarding Arcanum which proved you have no idea what you're talking about and that your reasoning is not above that of a 5th grader.

Let me recap.

:lol:

Sorry, I just can't resist, that's how stupid your reasoning is.

But, anyway, let's assume for a moment that you've played Arcanum till the end and you have read what Kerghan had to say, claiming it's lame that he wants to destroy all life is nothing but idiocy. Because, again debatable as it is, he had a reason (which was not your usual "I want to take over the world, but everybody has to die") and this reason was quite consistent considering the world of Arcanum, which (surprise, surprise!) is a fantasy world.
If you on the other hand would've liked to argue his reason, then you'd have some merit. But it's obvious you don't understand it and prefer to bask in your black and white ignorance and mediocrity.

:lol:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If I believed in him, right now I'd say "Jeeeeesus!".

But since I don't, I'll just weep at the decline.

:(

FeelTheRads

Arcane
if you kill everyone in Arcanum before heading to The Void, the game ends, since Kerghan has no need of returning to Arcanum - what he wanted to happen, happens.

Wut? Link plz.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
IFeelTheRads said:
I admitted defeat before, but then decided that maybe some people didn't hear me and I so I had to make another post reeking of even greater dumbfuckery. I filled this post with ad hominum attacks and red herrings in the hope that some people would get distracted and not realise that I couldn't conduct a rational argument. That's right everyone, I'm a dumbfuck. Look at me!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
HAHAHAHAH BIOWARE MADE A STATEMENT!!!1111

LOLOLLOOLOOLLOL WHATEVER THEY WROTE IS GAY AND STUPID LOLOLLOLO!! I AM SO SMART AND SOPHISTOCATED LOLLOLLOLOOLOLL!!!!!! ARCANUM AND FALLOUT SEE HOW SMART I AM LOLOLOLOLLOOL!
No, in fact, what it seems to have happened is that nothing was said at all.

Seriously read it, and see anything relevant.

Here is an example of a straightforward, precise, no-BS interview:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/pc/d ... rview.html

How ironic that this long time veteran of the industry is much less self-promoting and talks more about the actual game than most devs out there.

WHEN YOU PUT A CRAZY MIND IN THE SITUATION I AM IN ALL YOU GET IS INNOVATION

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom