Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware on Consequence

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Everything is very low impact and there’s no real negative result that can occur. We’re going to start bringing that back but in a rational way, a way that doesn’t punish the player.
:facepalm:

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
Everything is very low impact and there’s no real negative result that can occur. We’re going to start bringing that back but in a rational way, a way that doesn’t punish the player.
:facepalm:

Lulz. I like Bioware games, but please don't be such hypocrites. Mass Effect's consequences were shallow, to say the least.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If you follow the "I H8 TEH AYLEENS!" thing in Mass Effect, it's great how the game forces you to take the aliens and even defend them in dialogue choices. Sure, you can harshly defend them and get evil points, but you're still defending them. You can't really play a Humanity First character in the game, even though it seems at times that you could.

NPC: "This alien would be useful."
PC: "I hate all aliens because they suck! Humans for the WIN!"
NPC: "Take the alien anyway."
PC: "Okay!"

Later that day...

NPC: "I don't trust the aliens on this ship."
PC: "You question my AUTHORITAH?!"
NPC: "Err.. Well, no."
PC: "Right! Deal with it!"

Um, yeah. It wasn't actually the PC's choice in the first place. Honestly, they should have had human equivalents of the alien NPCs where you miss things later on if you go one side or the other.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Actually, that sounds a lot like a typical egomaniac; if you get forced/manipulated into something, pretend it was what you wanted in the first place.

I doubt bioware was thinking that deeply though...

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
I would like to think that the Bioware designers are still hardcore gamer at heart. Bound to the earthy layer by money.

Gaydar about revealing romances in Dragon Age:
"If I do, Marketing will come to my office and glare at me with their tiny little eyes. It freaks me out."

Nightjed

Liturgist
i remember my character in mass effect (note i said my character, i didnt feel like i had much control on what he said) insulting the council and then whining like a little bitch "i deserve this!" and they still made me a Specter, that sounds like fail to me.

Still, i thought playing ME with a renegade char fell in the "so bad its good" area, i wonder if that was not intended ...

I agree with the need for depth, gents, but don't underestimate hidden design malleability.

Having choices always be more than 2 and scales of grey isn't the only way to give depth.

When choices are either good or bad you might not know what's best for the story, you might not know whether the character is good or bad, or it might just be so hard to be good, or lastly you might not know that there's a hidden 3rd choice to find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom