Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
but there is a pretty noticeable drop in quality that I felt started with ME3.

No way, I've replayed the entire trilogy a short while ago and the supposed decline between ME2 and ME3 is a total illusion. Both games are extremelly similar. If anything ME3 is less retarded, with better pacing and much better combat. But they're definitely siblings, clearly made by the same team. The only reason people feel this way is because of the fiasco with ME3 ending. But ME2 ending and the entire Collector plot was incomparably more retarded and nobody batted an eye because muh NPC relaishuns.

No, both DA1 and ME1 are relatively monocled, within the parameters of AAA, and the first decline begins with DA2 and ME2 - basically shortly before Zeschuk and Muzyka leave. DA2, ME2 and ME3 are clearly declined but still playable. But DAI and MEA are a shocking slide into the black hole of clueless dumbfuckery.

And sure, the culprit is the outflow of experienced, relatively based (for Canada) developers and the inflow of talentless SJW sludge. But that was mainly due to EA corporate fuckery.

So basicall Bioware sold themselves to Satan

On behalf of my business associate Mr. Louis Cyphre I am compelled to present you with a Cease and Desist order. While mr. Cyphre does admit and agree that, in basic terms, his evilness is comparable to that of Electronic Arts Inc., he would like me to remind you that he is a gentleman of wealth and taste, which qualities are severely lacking in BioWare's current owner.

Starwars

Arcane

No way, I've replayed the entire trilogy a short while ago and the supposed decline between ME2 and ME3 is a total illusion. Both games are extremelly similar. If anything ME3 is less retarded, with better pacing and much better combat. But they're definitely siblings, clearly made by the same team. The only reason people feel this way is because of the fiasco with ME3 ending. But ME2 ending and the entire Collector plot was incomparably more retarded and nobody batted an eye because muh NPC relaishuns.

No, both DA1 and ME1 are relatively monocled, within the parameters of AAA, and the first decline begins with DA2 and ME2 - basically shortly before Zeschuk and Muzyka leave. DA2, ME2 and ME3 are clearly declined but still playable. But DAI and MEA are a shocking slide into the black hole of clueless dumbfuckery.

And sure, the culprit is the outflow of experienced, relatively based (for Canada) developers and the inflow of talentless SJW sludge. But that was mainly due to EA corporate fuckery.

Hm, really. Maybe I should try replaying it someday, I never did make it to the end. I just remember that I left it with the feeling of it being... cheap. Like it was made on a tighter budget. I mean, ME2 is pure retardation in terms of its story and stuff like that. But I'm talking more about production values so to speak.

But yeah, could be mistaken.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DA:O was a surprise success that took 6ish years to make and almost everyone working at Bioware to put out the door. EA had no faith in it, and suddenly it was one of their top selling franchises. So they did what EA does to highly successful franchises, and asked Bioware to make another one. Except for this new one, they wanted it started and finished in under a year, as they had a dream of an annual RPG franchise. Mind you that's hard enough to pull off for FPS games which are relatively simple to make with multiple teams. Bioware was expected to put together a full length AAA RPG in 6-7 months while also putting out the last of the DA:O DLC.

This killed the company. Huge swathes of people up and quit. They couldn't handle the stress. They couldn't handle what they were expected to do. Every single major program director and creative lead left the company during this year period where they were developing DA2. Go look at LinkedIn profiles for the major people that worked on DA:O, and more then half of them suddenly leave Bioware in 2010. The combat director quit and wasn't replaced for months, so they had no real lead directing what the combat should have been during that period. Major story beats and combat ideas got forced into the game in the final months of 2010 not because they were good, but because the game needed to ship in a few months and it needed to get out the door. To help the DA team actually finish DA2 in a somewhat annual fashion, they drew most of the ME2 team off ME, throwing them into this grinder as well.

By the time DA2 launched, around half if not more of the original "Bioware" was gone. Go through the credits of DA:O, ME1, or ME2 and start LinkedIning people, none of them work for Bioware anymore. Most left between 2010 and 2012.

It's been a pretty steady drain since then. Compare the credits list of Inquisition to the credits list of DA:O or DA2. It's almost an entirely new team, and it's a team that Bioware specifically hired to replace the losses from DA2. It's why so many styles have changed since then, why the gameplay changed so steadily, and why they chose to try so many new things. Because Inquisition wasn't made by the DA:O team trying their hand at open world game design. It was maybe 1/6th of the guys that even touched DA:O/DA2 suddenly getting an influx of new blood, most of it Bioware fans finally getting a chance to work for the company they loved, that had great new ideas for what they wanted out of future Bioware games.

I suspect Roguey will tell you this is Fake News.

Trotsky

Arcane

The first game had the best story and atmosphere of the trilogy no doubt about that but it lacked in other ways.

ME2 was a massive improvement over the original in terms of gameplay, graphics, characters, & extra content.

ME3 by contrast was riddled with problems. For some reason it looks & plays even worse than its predecessor.

Frozen

Arcane
Yeah, normal layoffs aren't "huge swathes of people up and quitting"

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/dragon-age-inquisition/credits
People who have worked on this game have also collaborated on the creation of the following games:
Dragon Age: Origins, a group of 209 people
Dragon Age II, a group of 244 people
Jade Empire: Special Edition, a group of 88 people

"almost an entirely new team :retarded:"

The lead for Origins was not there for DA2
That loser Laidlaw was there at the end of Origins cycle to port it to console and get rewarded with lead seat for DA2

Why are you defending Inquisition?
Its even worse then Andromeda.
Its like you are a woman or something (sick)

Padzi

Arbiter
I never was a super fan od DA games. I played DAO and thought it was average. Then I got DA2 as a gift. I played it and a thought in my head started to form that in comparison DAO wasn't that bad. But only when I finally saw DA:I I started to appreciate DAO as a decent crpg. It's all perspective especially when Bioware has been declining for year now. But I don't think Andromeda is worse than Inquisition. DA3 had really bad combat system and both had an annyoing companion (crazy asari vs crazy elf.) But the one in Inquistion was way worse.

Vorark

Erudite
40 minutes of nothing but a showcase of bugs and coming from this one person's game. Great job, Bioware. Your QA is top notch, best in the business.

Lol @ 3:00 when the ship hits Ryder right on the head. :lol:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't knowhy but of all MEA characters Peebee managed to annoy me the least, even tho she's designed to be annoying. Maybe it was because I liked the VO. Or maybe because in real life I actually like crazy bitches like that. Don't judge, it's not like I can flip a switch in my genome or some such.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The lead for Origins was not there for DA2
That loser Laidlaw was there at the end of Origins cycle to port it to console and get rewarded with lead seat for DA2

Why are you defending Inquisition?
Its even worse then Andromeda.
Its like you are a woman or something (sick)

My post was nothing but factual, and Brent Knowles left because he didn't like the direction in which Bioware was headed even before Origins had been released.

Sykar

Arcane

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
40 minutes of nothing but a showcase of bugs and coming from this one person's game. Great job, Bioware. Your QA is top notch, best in the business.

QA doesn't help you if your publisher forces you to rush the release to pad their quarterly report with some quick cash. I don't like highlighting the bug issue in MEA that much coz then the impression is if only the bugs were ironed out we'd have a good game in our hands. Which is a profound misunderstanding.

The game was in development for 5 years so I don't think EA forced them to ship for their quarterly reports. At some point you just need to stop throwing good money at bad (ie T:ToN).

But I do agree you cannot blame QA for this shitshow. It takes some profoundly untalented people to make a game this poorly.

donkeymong

Scholar

Even Alpha Protocol is a polished game compared with this.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Vorark

Erudite
Seems CPY managed to break the newest Denuvo version which was present in the "eye shadows" patch. At least MEA was good for something, eh?

RepHope

Savant
Will Bioware even bother trying to patch this clusterfuck or just cut their losses and move on to that Destiny clone IP Edmonton is working on?

Padzi

Arbiter
I was going to write the second part of this summary after finishing reading Nexus Uprising, but the book forced me to do it now. I'm at the halfway point and the amount of "wonderful things" is just becoming more and more overwhelming with each chapter. I blame Jarun Tann for that. Why, you ask?

Take all the things that annoyed you the most in Mass Effect like for example, Udina, ME ending or Kai Leng. And now imagine you being the author and taking out all your hate on one character - Jarun Tann.At the beginning I thought everybody hates him because... dunno. They are all stressed out, because of the dangerous situation they are in, and suddenly this Salarian takes over command from Jien Garson.Maybe that's it.

No. The writers didn't bother themselves with providing a good reason why am I suppose to dislike this Salarian. Meanwhile he is being treated like the worst person on Nexus from the moment he opened his eyes.

Everywhone (especially Sloane Kelly) blames him for everything (when it's not his fault). And if he wants to implement an idea they do not approve of they just block him outright. And of course when something goes wrong it is of course Jarun Tann's fault - no matter that he can't actually do anything. But it goes further than that. They have thoughts like "there is danger up a head - I bet Jarun Tann would shit himself with fear." Jarun Tann that, Jarun That this. And the worst thing about this is that within the 3 (4 if you add Kesh) people rulling over Nexus he is the only one with ideas based on actual logic. But no! Screw Tann. You are going to hate him and that is final.

1. Nexus is in danger?
Tann - "let's take one the shuttles and check out nearby planets. Maybe we can find some food and water there."
Sloane Kelly - "Are you insane? No! We have to sit here on our butts and fix the Nexus! And if the Nexus is in danger how will we escape?! Huh?!"
Tann - "..."

Tann - "If I have to sacrifice ten people to save 10k I will.
Sloane Kelly - "Starts barking at him that he is nuts and all that stuff"

3.Nexus had a malfunction and only 2 people know the code that can defrost the remaining 19k colonists.
Tann - "Listen, there's only 2 of you, if someone happens to you we will lose the codes, it is wise to let more people know it. Share the code with me.
Kesh and Calix - "Are you nuts?! Are you ready for such responsibility!? Fine, we will compromise, we will encrypt the codes in Sloane Kelly's files so there will be 3 people with that knowledge and fuck off. She said she doesn't give a fuck, and she won't even look at them, but we are going to do it just to so you can have your shitty compromise."
Tann - "..."

4. Addision is going through a depression, because she is feeling useless on the Nexus.
Tann - "Sloane, listen. Addision is feeling down, as a Salarian that doesn't fully understand human females I could say something stupid. You are a human female too, can you talk to her? Cheer her up."
Sloane - "proceeds to bark at Tann (because she is cool and doesn't give a fuck yet again). You think I did not notice!? Blah, blah, blah I noticed like ages ago, geez, fine I'll do it."
Tann - "..."
(and yet Sloane still didn't talk to Addison)

:deathclaw:

No, seriously. I sometimes feel really sorry for him. Sloane is too cool for school, Addison is useless - if she wasn't in the book nothing in the plot would change. Tann wants to use logics but nobody really cares. And for some reason everyone idolizing Sloane... and Kesh who just keepks crying that nobody is thanking the Krogan for what they are doing and it's hard work (really, bitch? everyone loves your job).

Besides that, the writers seem to be tired or bored with going into Sloane's mind (but what can you do with someone who is always a badass and uncaring?) So they, are throwing in a plethora of random characters. That do nothing, disappear just fast as they appeared or just die. But hey, we get these flowery descriptions that this guy is like that, and this guy is like this. We even have a married gay couple, but their relationship is in troubled, but they still love each other! It adds nothing, but look! DIVERSITY!

There are also mini story arcs like those shitty 10 minute side-quests that Shepard did. Suddenly an evil Salarian appears! And he is very effective! Evil Salarian without any good explanation wakes up another 10 evil buddies! Sloane has to stop those 11 degenerates, or else they will get away with hostages on a shuttle! To where? How am I suppose to know? They just want to leave the Nexus! No matter that no one ever left it and they don't know what's outside. They are just escaping. So when the fightning starts and Kelly's men are fighting that evil Salarian. To me it looked like this:

:popamole:

Kelly is suddenly fighting against a female version of Dolph Lundgren. A walking wall of muscles and not much else. A behemoth! That's a huge bitch! And their flawless dialogue looks kinda like this:
Sloane Kelly - "Bitch, you're extra thicc! Tell me your secret!"
Extra Thicc Monstrostiy - "I was lifting heavy cargo for like 7 years".
Then Kelly defeats the thicc evil bitch.

Oh, and I almost forgot. 90% of men on the Nexus are acting like retarded cucks. They are entirely devoid of even the smallest trace of testosterone and their king is William Spender.

"Wonderful" book. And there is still half of it left. It is all Jarun Tann's fault.

Vorark

Erudite
You probably put more thought into this than the writer(s) did. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom