Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware is evil!

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes but europeans are notorious for 'enjoying' life. TO them work is something done for 'fun'.

Oarfish

Prophet
Jasede said:
Umm, in Germany (West Germany, East Germans aren't like that) people protested when a company planned to change the weekly work-load from 35 to 40 hours. On the streets, with signs, and with strikes.

I don't imagine their working week consists of sitting about animating integalactic lesbian sex scenes. Of course labourers and factory workers are going to throw a shitfit when their terms of employment are changed - they do actual work.

i like europe but it isn't typical

Jasede said:
Umm, in Germany (West Germany, East Germans aren't like that) people protested when a company planned to change the weekly work-load from 35 to 40 hours. On the streets, with signs, and with strikes.

Hey - don't get me wrong, I LIKE Europe. My wife and I have already agreed that if I can get a lecturing position in a European uni, we're taking it. But that isn't typical by any means. Continental Europe has restricted working hours compared to the rest of the world, and restricted pay to match. Now I for one LIKE that idea - many professionals in Australia (we're in a boom at the moment) could happily take 2/3 of their income for 2/3 of their working hours. But most of the world left the 40 hour week behind about 15 years ago. There's no need for things to work that way - given the glut of uni graduates you could easily reduce professional working hours and employ more people to cover the gap, but few countries are doing it

afewhours

Scholar
azrael the cat said:
Hey - don't get me wrong, I LIKE Europe. My wife and I have already agreed that if I can get a lecturing position in a European uni, we're taking it. But that isn't typical by any means. Continental Europe has restricted working hours compared to the rest of the world, and restricted pay to match.

It doesn't really work like that in practice. Many european companies have ways around that 35 hour week malarky. I've seen programs set up to compress staff hours to fit the working time directive. You insert a 12 minute break here, a 9 minute break here, and keep the results well away from the staff.

One of my proudest moments came when a GM was looking to extend my responisbilities. He considered training me to operate the hours-jigging program. The AM intervened and told him to "keep it as far away from <afewhours> as you can, he'll see straight away that it's complete bullshit." Heh heh. The AM showed me the program anyway, just before he left the company.

If the staff complain... meh... you can get more people.

what way?

The Walkin' Dude said:
Azrael, are you larping or just boosting your ego?

Um...in what way? Genuinely confused here. Some guy posted about Germany going nuts over some change to a mildly-over-40-hours per week and I pointed out that in much of the world the working week is >50/60 hours. Never larped personally, but if I did it would be a lot more interesting and obscene than a discussion about working hours. What's your issue?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
And it's for fags and pussies that like being told what to fucking do. Me, I prefer my freedom thank you very much, just like my firearms and my right to bitch, complain, and moan about any fucking thing that I like.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
And it's hereditary.
So you like your dictators to be inbred cretins. Well, can't get much worse than Austrian. I hope you've learned that lesson at least.

Major_Blackhart said:
And it's for fags and pussies that like being told what to fucking do. Me, I prefer my freedom thank you very much, just like my firearms and my right to bitch, complain, and moan about any fucking thing that I like.
Yeah, and as long as you have your firearms and your right to bitch, complain, and moan about any fucking thing that you like, you won't get in the way of any important decisions.
Democracy is a wonderful game as long as you don't take it too seriously.

If I hired a bunch of programmers and had them working for four years and they produced something as shitty as the infinity engine I'd either fire them all or shackle them into their cubicles like galley slaves.

I've worked 100+ hour weeks for months on end. Sometimes you have to if you want your company to stay in business. No one alive can do it for more than a couple months, though. In the long term no one really works much more than 50 hours a week, not of real work. In my observation, most people usually put in about two hours of actual work per eight hours of sitting time, though. I can't say for slacker countries like [insert any western europe country here], but in the US outside of government and contracting every programmer making decent money probably works 50 hours almost every week.

Mayday

Augur
Claw said:
JarlFrank said:
And it's hereditary.
So you like your dictators to be inbred cretins. Well, can't get much worse than Austrian. I hope you've learned that lesson at least.

Hereditary rule doesn't equal inbreeding.
Greed equals inbreeding.

Besides, if a retarded dude was crowned, he wouldn't last a day.

AAaaaaaand Blackheart gets the "moron of the day" award.
Democracy is tyranny of the stupid and doesn't equal freedom in any way.

Oarfish

Prophet
Mayday said:
Democracy is tyranny of the stupid and doesn't equal freedom in any way.

Which is why the US is a constitutional republic.

aries202

Erudite
I think there's something the person posting over at gamedev.com has gotten wrong.

As far as I remember Bioware was first Ray&Gregs own company e.g. privately owned by Ray&Greg. As such it has no shares or stocks etc.

The same should be true for the 2½ years or so when Bioware were owned by Elevation Partners - and put together with Pandemic Games for some odd reason. Bioware should have no stock or shares - at least not in public knowledge.

It is possible that the employees of Bioware have the possibility to buy non-deciding stock or shares of the company which mean that Ray & Greg still holds the deciding shares.

I think it is common practice, at least it seems to be it here in Denmark, Europe, to buy or 'force' employee stock back into the company when said employees are leaving the firm. I doubt, however, that Bioware would be this stupid as this info, if correct, only will hurt them, in the long run.

As for the comment on gamedev etc. I have to say that according to a Bioware dev. over at rpgwatch Bioware is one of the best companies (if not the best company) to work for in the game industry.

Of course his judgment is a bit clouded since he's working at Bioware, but I have heard him say that when he&his wife had their first baby, Bioware made sure that they had enough money to buy supplies for a year. And they got a card too - which had a - let's just say a substantial amount of money in it in the form of a cheque.

Bioware also have a lady whose only job is to make the quality of life better. They even have their coffee brand. They are allowed run errands during office works, to play games, either video or other games like tabletennis and such games.

As for the people being walked out the door, I don't really understand this comment. In every job there are crunch times whether it is the car factory worker working hard to make the deadline on the shipping on the new car, the teacher working hard to make the deadline for exams, or game developers working hard to get a game out the door or the factory worker that's working in a factory that makes wind mills. If you then don't want to do the job, to be part of the team, then, yes, you will be walked out the door, especially if you only have a temporary work assignment.

I don't think it is illegal in Canada to say to a worker, 'ok, you're employed from this date to this date'. And if you perform well, you might have a shot at being employed all the time with a contract.

I know from the Bioware employee that hangs out over at the rpgwatch that they >b> do get extra free time when they ask for it, game devs get 14-21 works off after finishing a game like Mass Effect. They also arrange for game devs to have 4 day weekends etc. etc.

Quite frankly, this is some of the best work conditions for employees I have seen in the game industry. And it is certainly not the same as the working conditions that the EA spouse exposed.
(also posted on sufergirls blog, but I am not convinced that I did the whole letter apporved thing correctly..).

Azarkon

Arcane
People who complain about 35-40 hour weeks that occasionally explode to 50, all the while being pampered by the management and working in one of the most sought-after jobs for today's youths, are precisely the reason Western employees are losing their competitive edge. If those Indian and Chinese game developers could just learn how to be creative (which shouldn't be hard, given what passes as creativity these days), everybody in our game industry would be out of jobs.

Deleted member 7219

Screw absolute monarchy by divine right

Constitutional monarchy is where its at.

Oarfish

Prophet
Matt7895 said:

charles.jpg

Yeah, lets just hope our constitiution is enough to keep this turd off the throne. Else the forces of bernard matthews will have to march on London to chop the hippie fuckers head off.

Alex

Arcane
Extreme programming suggests that 40 hours of work per week is the best timeframe for coders. While it also allows for some "crunch", it discourages the practice, and warns that it can lead to bugs and bad quality software. Taking a look at the few games that have been released as open source, and the amount of bugs games usually have, I guess it is pretty justified.

It is stupid to think that by simply doubling the work hours per week you can make the same software in half of the time. After some time, a programmer will stop producing useful code and just put out garbage. Simply adding more people to a project also stops being effective after some point, and can actually slow down the project.

Deleted member 7219

Oarfish said:
Matt7895 said:

charles.jpg

Yeah, lets just hope our constitiution is enough to keep this turd off the throne. Else the forces of bernard matthews will have to march on London to chop the hippie fuckers head off.

I hope he dies before the Queen does. Then, when Her Majesty pops her clogs, Prince William can be our King.

/salute

Riso

Arcane
I thought William already is the next one in line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom